1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Filling generic growlers

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by ModernTimesJacob, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (270) California Nov 22, 2011

Personally, I don't think it should be too big of headache. This is the way it works in every other state (at least most) and it doesn't seem to be headache at all to breweries out of Cali that I've frequented. Some CA breweries might make it out to be headache...but it should be fairly straightforward. For the most part...growlers are usually standard sizes.

2. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (400) California May 19, 2006

And for the ones that aren't, the opportunity is there to make a few bucks. Charge standard fill prices for 2 sizes (a 64oz and a 32oz). Want to bring in that 22oz flip-top? They'll fill it, but you're still paying for a 32oz pour. Bring in a non-brewery labeled growler? That's a $1 surcharge for the labeling.

sirtomtom likes this.
  3. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (270) California Nov 22, 2011

exactly. Wife and I were at Hill Farmstead a few days after xmas, I brought my 64 oz Klean Kanteen and they filled it without question, and charged me the 2L price. I didn't whine about being shorted 4 oz.

(do think a $1 surcharge for labeling may be a bit excessive, but it's still an idea)

4. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (400) California May 19, 2006

Well, I think they'd market it as a $1 discount for brewery-labeled growlers, but I suspect that would just happen to coincide with a price increase across the board on growlers...

5. Anyone else see a market for blank growlers with just the warning printed on one side? Hmmmm...

afrokaze and PaulStoneAnchor like this.
  6. OTB

OTB Savant (355) California Sep 2, 2011

We need to abolish these asinine laws because my wife is sick of all those ugly beer jugs taking up space in our wine cellar.:eek:

Cheers.....

7. Exactly. Most brewers currently use the standard brown jug with a marking for 64 oz and a marking for 2 liters. Make it the policy that they will only fill these types of standard growlers and the customer will be charged the 2 liter price.

8. I can see some breweries silk screening their logos just big enough so that a standard sticker won't cover it entirely.

9. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Oh, is that what the hangup is? Well, let me help.

This is where my shed was a few months ago:

[​IMG]

This is where it is now. Plus 3 more to come back this weekend, and 2 in the fridge. Notice how the shelf is bowing:

[​IMG]

Hey! Brewers!

[​IMG]

lymph, hophead247, ChugLife and 10 others like this.
  10. Hopefully an earthquake doesn't hit, because that shelf doesn't look very sturdy.

Might help thin out your growler collection a bit though.

Sarlacc83 and Arbitrator like this.
  11. PMR

PMR Savant (285) California Mar 31, 2005

Good point, and a good idea. I always imagine the worst that can happen, and that we'll get crap from folks if we don't accept any container to fill. I imagine my bartenders getting mason jars of random, uncertain size to fill and having to calibrate how large the container is. I wonder if those containers are safe to hold pressure. I imagine putting duct tape around the lid to create a "closed container". Probably the biggest issue is we're often too busy to adequately deal with these sorts of issues, and we want to stand by our product if there's an issue. Accepting any container to fill will certainly result in complications.

Our margin is very low on these growlers, so I'd be more than happy to reduce our inventory of them as they take up a lot of space and they are a pain to order. Some breweries do charge more for the glass and less for the fills, so their margin structure may need to change if they are to adopt filling other growlers.

Overall, I'm definitely not against this idea. I'm just concerned folks are going to get frustrated with breweries who choose not to fill any container they bring in with the ABC interpretation in hand. I felt it is important to give some context on why a brewery would choose not to do this.

Last year I worked on a project for a "universal growler" using a similar approach (one growler format with generic labeling, and affixing tags that would be printed for every brewery). I received lukewarm feedback from the majority of breweries I spoke with for a variety of reasons, so I stopped pursuing the idea. I think a single growler type (or perhaps a large and a small version) that most breweries would deal with would be a step in the right direction rather than an approach that breweries will take whatever container they are given. I'd be happy to pick up where I left off if there is sufficient interest among breweries. I already have the domain names "calgrowl.org" and "calgrowler.org" for this purpose (though they expire on 2/21, so speak up)!

Cheers,
    Patrick
    The Bruery

TheComish, abecall98, aknight and 6 others like this.
  12. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I think this is a fine idea, what should be done to promote it? Also, they both seem to be expired already.

13. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

As an Oregon resident, where any growler of any type can be filled by any brewery, I find this anguish and teeth gnashing by some CA brewers to be comical. I am aware of the labeling considerations dictated by CA law but that would seem to be easily addressed through the use of string-attached tags, as noted by an earlier poster. All of the alleged worry about how the growler appears (branding? really?), the distress over filling them (use a plastic hose like most places do in PDX) and how secure it against oxidation (isn't that the purchaser's problem?) seems to be much ado about nothing. Give the people their beer! :eek:

14. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

I'm taking this as confirmation that the second piece of 2012 RS merch was supposed to be a universal growler. :D

15. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (325) California Jan 11, 2010

That doesn't solve having to cover up whatever is screen printed on the growler. Though a policy of only filling growlers that don't show other brewery info would solve that.

16. Yeah, that was the big rumor of the time and I'm guessing that was exactly it.

Damn it.

17. RedBeeron

2014, bro. Though had we gotten them in 2012, we could all be growler hipsters.

18. A couple of thoughts. Couldn't the use of a light tack adhesive label alleviate the problem of hard-to-remove labels that get layered one on top of another? Making sure a date is indicated at filling should help clarify the contents of the growler as well.

19. RedBeeron

Given what I've read over the course of several threads on the subject of bow asinine CA growler laws are, I think at this point the community at large is willing to jump through nearly any hoop necessary in order to cut down on the sheer volume of growlers necessary to get fills at the establishments we'd like to buy beer from.

Hell, if all I needed was four each of a 2l swing top, 1l swing top, 64 oz screw top, and 32 oz screw top, I'd only need half as many growlers as I currently own, and I know my collection doesn't really rank amongst the largest.

The change/clarification (won't argue semantics, because frankly that's secondary to the issue at hand) of CA growler laws is, at least initially, only going to be relevant to the more hardcore of the beer geek populace. Whether it be slightly overpaying on fills of undersized containers, or bringing our own stickers/hang tags, clearly there is money to be made in finding a _reasonable_ method to accommodate our needs.

Token discounts for filling branded growlers (assuming a comparable increase in fills) is reasonable to accommodate a given breweries homers. And while, long term, that means a given individual will probably pay more, the opportunity cost/convenience is such that I doubt anyone would genuinely be vocal with complaints.

Obviously, as knowledge of the change spreads, assuming breweries pursue their own due diligence (clearly posting both in store and online which types of growlers they'll fill and how they charge), there should be less push back from the general populace/decreased possibility of Joe schmoe showing up with some mason jars/2l soda bottles wanting to buy beer.

Again, from what I've gathered, no one wants a genuine wild west attitude toward putting beer into containers for offsite consumption. We just want to find a middle ground that doesn't involve owning a couple hundred pounds of glassware which we have to stash in our car every time we may visit a region where we'd like to fill growlers.

Obviously, I threw a lot of generalities out and expect to be trolled accordingly.

Tl;dr we won't be entitled jerkoffs if breweries are willing to work towards accommodating us.

20. I agree with RedBeeron...there is always going to be the idiots of the world that try the mason jar approach. I wouldnt complain if there was standardization of sizes and fill prices. I would prob still to the 1L or even the brauler idea. I love the idea of being able to hit it with CO2 to keep it fresh. I think everyone can agree this is one of the issues with growlers today.

I think everyone would be happy if we could reduce the number of growlers we own and use standardized size pricing.

I was very excited to hear there was a possibility of a growler for Reserve Society last year...i understand the challenges, but at this point it is not an unreasonable feat. As Patrick said the breweries didnt want to go along.

I am hoping the CA breweries will see what their customers want and act accordingly.

I think Patrick had the right idea...I often thought of something similar.

If it can be standardized then it takes the question out of it.

Standardized pricing for sizes and limit the types of vessels to be sealed. The easiest answer is to go with the Stainless or flip top models then there is no need for carrying caps for screw tops and the various sizes of those.

I know change will be slow, but i am hoping things actually do change and that there wont be resistance from my favorite breweries.

Patrick carry on the good fight!!

21. ChugLife

ChugLife Aficionado (240) Colorado Aug 13, 2012

Easy: "Our beer is best when stored in our branded growler, it retains carbonation and keeps it at its freshest. We will gladly fill your blank growler, but please understand that the quality may be compromised."

Beautiful idea.

Filling blank growlers would not be a factor in revenue loss. It will obviously only lead to increased sales(bottles, shirts, glasses, etc.)

Madirish76 and PaulStoneAnchor like this.
  22. ChugLife

ChugLife Aficionado (240) Colorado Aug 13, 2012

I love Kleen Kanteens, they keep it so cold.

I'll be using one of these though...

[​IMG]

lymph and sirtomtom like this.
  23. drewone

drewone Advocate (740) California Sep 18, 2006

Yes please!

24. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Savant (250) California Dec 10, 2010

I call that my Oregon Growler(since it only gets filled in Oregon, generally at Deschutes). I hope to soon just call it my growler.

flexabull likes this.
  25. ImJ2x

ImJ2x Initiate (0) California Jan 3, 2012

Slightly off-topic, but my big complaint with CA growlers is fill price. Case in point: my local brewpub often has Stone kegs available for growler fills. And since I have 2 Stone growlers, and Ruination is my fav goto, it only makes sense to fill up. Until you do the math... They will fill my 66oz Stone flip-top for $25, which is MORE THAN TWICE AS MUCH, per ounce, as I pay for 4-packs of Ruination at Total Wine and More. The whole premise of growlers is supposedly to save money for us avid beer consumers. But I find this to be increasingly rare.
    [To Stone's credit, they are the one brewer that DOES offer excellent value for growler fills, at least at their stores. For instance, they do $14 growler fills for EnjoyBy, which is an awesome value for an awesome beer.]

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  26. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

I thought it was illegal in CA for brewpubs to do growlers of beer that they didn't brew? Considering Stone charges $15 for 2L fills of Ruination, and I'm pretty sure your local brewpub is breaking the law, you didn't pick a great example to make your point about growler pricing.

27. jodan

jodan Initiate (0) California Jul 24, 2008

There's a brewpub that'll fill another brewery's beer? They can charge you extra because that's illegal in CA. I think Stone charges $15 for Ruination fills. Actually most breweries seem to be pretty reasonable on their fill prices I think. sure I'd like them to be a little lower, but other than Beachwood and Pizza Port most seem pretty reasonable.

28. ImJ2x

Well, I live 60 mins from the closest Stone store. I definitely make the drive when necessary (EnjoyBy releases, for example). But, to clarify, my point is simply that growlers were ORIGINALLY conceived as an affordable way for locals to purchase beer. This no longer seems to be the case at all.

29. jodan

jodan Initiate (0) California Jul 24, 2008

CA bureaucracy has screwed us over on that front. Your specific example is a problem with that brewpub, but yeah it'd be great to have simple rules like many other state.

30. ImJ2x

I've heard tales of other states where you can fill your growler at the gas station. I may move, lol.

jodan likes this.
  31. Ya, for beers sold in 6 or 4 packs it's usually a bad deal. For bomber only or draught only beers, you usually come out ahead with a growler fill.

32. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Any Cali brewery that makes it a headache wants growler sales profit - which is fine - just admit it.

33. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I don't think it's fine. Any brewery that thinks that they'll come out ahead by not allowing generic fills and making up the reduced beer sales with glass sales is insane, or makes terrible beer.

34. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

I really wish they would let you guys fill growlers.

flexabull likes this.
  35. Me too....

flexabull and PaulStoneAnchor like this.
  36. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Wouldn't it be too easy for someone to take off all pertinent identifying information? How would Alpine be able to tell if their growlers are being sold on eBay?

I like the idea of SS growlers and magnets from individual breweries containing pertinent info. Each brewery wanting to participate could still sell their own glass growlers, but also offer a magnet at minimal cost for folks who want to use their SS.

37. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (390) California Mar 13, 2009

Pretty sure magnets don't stick to stainless steel.

38. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

There was a discussion about that in a Societe thread in October - verdict, courtesy of nanobrew.

mrelizabeth likes this.
  39. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

It's a discussion that deserves to be had again!

40. Why all the unusual "solutions" being thrown around?
    One brewer I contacted said they were thinking of having a custom sticker made to completely cover another growler and that it would be about $2-$3....

Hang tags on blank growlers, that's all we need!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.