1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Filling generic growlers

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by ModernTimesJacob, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Breweries must make a profit off of growlers, right? If I'm wrong here, let me know. But a glass half-gallon for $10 must net the brewery $5, at least. SS @ $25 probably nets $5-7. Plus, it's advertising. It also means return business. WHY would breweries want to get rid of brewery-specific growlers?
  2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

They'd sell more beer. They wouldn't get rid of them, they'd still need to sell them to new people, visitors etc. I won't buy anymore growlers for any more breweries. 40 is enough.
    mrelizabeth likes this.
  3. Because, I have stopped buying growlers altogether, but I would absolutely get my blank growlers filled.
    Azrael likes this.
  4. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Perhaps Cali's growler laws are actually going to be the thing that brings the SD craft brewery boom to its saturation point. Eventually, we'll all run out of room for new growlers.
    Azrael likes this.
  5. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I will kick you so hard!!!
  6. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

Can't kick me if you don't show up to any of our events...
    ryno09 likes this.
  7. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

:(
  8. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

Depends on the grade of SS. There are many ferritic variants.
  9. $2-$3 in addition to the cost of the fill? Damn son! I really gotta wonder how much these breweries want repeat business.
  10. Golden Road Brewery seems to be the first one to jump on accepting this.

queens1130 and pmarlowe like this.
  11. Where'd you see that?
  12. Yeah I'm not seeing this post on their facebook either. I was interested as I'd like to see that Ratebeer graphic. The only growler post I see is about them offering fills of all their different beers.
  13. Nevermind, it's on "the pub at golden road's" facebook.

I'm gonna go there next weekend to grab some lunch and beer, and support them for being the first ones to embrace the law.
    flexabull likes this.
  14. Thanks. Looks like from their replies they will fill anything that is either 32 or 64 ounces and is blank or has the old logos covered. For all the crap Golden Road gets on here this is pretty awesome of them.
  15. The big le BRAH ski is actually good. I may end up getting a growler of that while I can.
  16. That is the best beer they have made so far in my opinion.
    Earlycsquid likes this.
  17. jamex

jamex Savant (275) California Feb 13, 2010

Check this out: Societe just told me they will be filling generic growlers "in about 60 days."

Outstanding. Now my wallet is really going to take a hit. Cheers! BTW This batch of the Apprentice is amazing.
    queens1130, Arbitrator and pmarlowe like this.
  18. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

Yessss. I will be drinking Pupil a lot...
    Beerandraiderfan and pmarlowe like this.
  19. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

With your excess growlers a green scotch-brite pad will remove the lead paint w/ soap (PBW works well), that way if the label is 'oversized' you can make your own generic growler for stickers. This might be required for the flip top Stone/RR style growlers that have a short, wide label.
    drewone and DrAwkward82 like this.
  20. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

I think they also said they won't be filling screw cap growlers....did this change? I hope not.
  21. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

No, it's not illegal. Read the law again. I've got it right here FYI:

http://law.justia.com/codes/california/2009/bpc/25200-25206.html
    2009 California Business and Professions Code - Section 25200-25206 :: Article 2. Beer

25200. All beer sold in this State shall have a label affixed to
    the package or container thereof, upon which shall appear the true
    and correct name and address of the manufacturer of the beer, and
    also the true and correct name of the bottler of the beer if other
    than the manufacturer. No manufacturer, importer, or wholesaler of
    beer shall use a container or carton as a package or container of a
    beer other than such beer as is manufactured by the manufacturer
    whose name or brand of beer appears upon the container or carton, or
    use as a package or container of a beer a container or carton which
    bears the name of a manufacturer of beer or the brand of any beer
    other than those of the manufacturer of the beer contained in the
    container or carton.

As I've said, NUMEROUS times before, the law never prohibited breweries from filling other growlers. Or from brewpubs filling a growler with another brewery's beer. This whole growler dance has been a crock of shit, thankyouverymuch breweries.

Until now, the complaints haven't been loud enough. Funny how a simple law clarification changes the whole industry statewide, when said clarification could've been made years ago. Many breweries are playing dumb, and that is entertaining to me.
  22. redmagik99

redmagik99 Savant (305) California May 15, 2007

So to make a labeled brewery growler generic, you just put a piece of duct tape over the label, end of story?
  23. In SoCal late May. I hope most have implemented this by then.
  24. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

I would imagine that a "casual beer drinker" may be a local who fills their growler at the brewery more often than the BA/RB member who only fills up with the occasional something special on a once-a-month visit. If you think about it on a growler glass cost/fill basis, breweries make a lot more money on growlers that are filled once with a special beer and FedEx'd to Vermont never to be seen at the brewery again than those filled over and over. The cost of the glass to a local casual beer drinker will be negligible after filling it 50-odd times. In other words, I think the growler may be a one-time impulse purchase more for a BA/RB trader than it would be for a casual beer drinker. If your speculation about the numbers of BA/RBers vs. casual beer drinkers is correct, the incentive for breweries to push their own growlers may be less than you suggest.

I was a liberal arts major, so please take my analysis with a grain of salt.
    pinkgrenade likes this.
  25. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

I can't wait til places like Smog City open up and fill generics! Extremely excited to see if Craftsman jumps on this train!!
    drewone and UnknownKoger like this.
  26. I wish Craftsman would jump on the train. last time I talked to them at Beer Belly, they made it sound like they were going to look to bottles (this was after their ERB collaboration) and I asked about potential growlers. To which they stated they don't have the room or equipment to handle growlers in their spot.

I guess it's more of a licensing issue to have "to-go" permits. No idea.
  27. dperga

dperga Zealot (85) California Apr 10, 2010

Sante Adarius in Capitola is now filling generic growlers and trowlers. Wish i had brought one of my extra empties last saturday.
    afrokaze likes this.
  28. MacNCheese

SD Brewers Guild meeting is tomorrow so possibly some new info after they have a chance to hash out the law amongst themselves.

Be cool if they can come to some sort of consensus but while the law allows for generics to be filled it doesn't require breweries to do so.
  29. That right there is what will cause this to be a slow transition. If breweries are already sitting on a bunch of their own empty growlers, I wouldn't really expect them to begin filling generics until they get rid of their excess stock.
  30. kaseydad

kaseydad Advocate (655) California Nov 23, 2008

Two local breweries (in the East Bay) that will fill any growler is Ale Industries (special fill 2 get 1 free) and Black Diamond Brewing. Just slap a label on it, take it home and consume. Shhhhh it's a secret though. This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds. Go-go Gadget......never mind.
  31. I would like to see Craftsman open a tasting room (that also does growler fills).
    queens1130 likes this.
  32. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (250) California Aug 19, 2011

pretty sure it has something to do with your barrel production every year. not entirely sure though since everyone seems pretty confused about it, as am i. so if anyone going tomorrow can figure that part out it would be great!

http://www.abc.ca.gov/permits/licensetypes.html this shows that not every brewery has the same licensing, therefore not every brewery will be allowed to fill generic growlers if this does get all cleared up. so expecting every brewery to fill generic growlers is not realistic unfortunately
  33. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

Valid points that I hadn't thought of, thank you for the perspective.
  34. I don't think it's very confusing at all.
    If you are a brewery, and are currently able to fill growlers, you can fill generic growlers.
    rrryanc, mjl21 and flexabull like this.
  35. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (250) California Aug 19, 2011

like i said, it doesnt apply to every brewery
  36. MacNCheese

Yes they can, but they're not required to. They can set limitations for whatever they want (say no to filling any screw-top growlers), or not filling the Stone/RR style flip tops because the logo is too wide and short and their sticker/solution won't manage those types, etc...

Plus you'll have all sorts of people demanding they fill whatever jug they have handy.

Some of this is also a nod to those who trade beer. If you ship a growler of an IPA it will not be the same beer upon arrival than as it was when it departed. Esp say in August going coast to coast and being in a hot warehouse for a weekend. Then recipient tastes and gets on a review site and says "This shit sucks!". I choose IPA's simply because they're notorious poor travelers. The brewery is trying to protect it's product and it's reputation.

In the end, it'll be interesting to see how individual breweries handle this. Personally I hope I can get my 2 SS growlers filled everywhere, but time will tell. Lord knows I have enough other glassware.
  37. Of course they aren't required to.
    But, going forward, if a brewery does not institute a reasonable generic growler fill policy, I personally won't be getting growler fills from that brewery and will be discouraged from visiting the brewery in the first place.
  38. MacNCheese

Given the explosive rise in popularity of craft beer...you won't be missed.
    pinkgrenade likes this.
  39. That's a tad dickish. We're trying to find achieve a consensus to allow for a reasonable growler fill policy.

You're being divisive for no substantive reason that I can discern. If you only want to use brewery specific growlers, that's fine, no sweat off my back. Why you'd want to say shit like that (that almost no brewery ever would), I have no idea.

Legalize freedom bro.
  40. Given the explosive rise in popularity of craft beer...I won't miss them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.