1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Finally a good Top 10 Cities list

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MacNCheese, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

2. slander

slander Site Editor (580) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

Boston over Philly?
    Paleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

And instead of 'the state of Vermont', I'm thinking more 'a 30 mile radius of Waterbury'...

3. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Unfortunately the author is a well documented buffoon that has been the subject of much attention in the NW forum.

That aside, list looks good.

4. Philly doesn't even get an HM?!!!

5. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

He's a BA as well...what else has "The Pour Fool" done?

6. dirtylou

Internet will explode...

I'm sure someone will tell the tale of viniella...

7. Seattle over Philly seems to be a... jarring failure.

8. As in the Waterbury Open?

gwdavis, jglowe77, dwagner003 and 3 others like this.
  9. Philly should be on there. Almost every single bar in this city has great tap. Not to mention, we get every major player besides a very select few.

10. There always problems with these lists, so have at it.

Honestly, I kind of think that the greater Cleveland metropolitan area should be included in here. Between Fatheads, Great Lakes, Brew Kettle, Willoughby Brewing, Indigo Imp (all open fermented real ales), Hoppin Frog, and Thirsty Dog, there is no reason for leaving it off. I mean there are even more forgettable ones--Ohio Brewing, Lagerheads (except for Winter Mischief Winter Warmer), and theres one in Cleveland Heights (Bottle something or other) that im told is rather meh. Those alone are great in and of themselves.

11. Can someone tell me why Seattle is so high?

12. How do Boston and Seattle belong on this list above Philly? Ridonkulous.

iKasey and fujindemon74 like this.
  13. Ive never been to or heard much about Market Garden Brewery and Nano Brew Cleveland, so I wont bash them. Both are within a block of GLBC.

14. Because it was posted on the Seattle PI site? :p

How is there no Philly?

Chaz and fujindemon74 like this.
  15. The fact that "Waterbury, VT area" isn't on the list immediately dismisses the entire thing. Nuff' said.

16. I also agree Philly should be on there.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  17. unclejazz

unclejazz Advocate (520) New York Oct 24, 2011

I am not surprised that a Seattle paper tested it own city #3. I think Seattle belongs in the top 10, but not that high. I agree about Cleveland, feel Boston is not deserving of top 10, that NYC should be 7 or 8, and Tampa should be in the discussion between Cigar City and Peg's both killing it in 2 very different ways.

18. What also places San Fran so high? I'm going there in the summer...

19. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

what, no Phoenix? Pffft. I guess it takes a Phoenix based magazine like DRAFT to have Phoenix or Phoenix area bars on these lists.... ;)

Pecan and searsclone like this.
  20. Def not tryna be a homer, but Philly's distrubution is second to none... Literally the only thing we don't get that comes to mind is New Belgium... Big whoop! It's also the only place I know where even freakig BMC dive bars have bottles of Yards and Victory. We have several solid breweries surrounding us as well. I feel slighted :/

Neorebel, ESeab and fujindemon74 like this.
  21. dirtylou

For what its worth, there is no such thing as a "bmc dive bar" in seattle or portland. Does not exist...

22. dirtylou

I'm not sure they are #3, but I can step outside of my house and walk to 8 different breweries, so there's that. You might not know who they are, but that's a different subject altogether.

23. I find that terribly hard to believe. There's neighborhood dives in every city that have 6 or so taps of that stuff. That's like saying you have a whole city and not one person who drinks those beers can find a bar that caters to their tastes. Anyone who's been in Port Richmond/Frankford/Mayfair sections of Philly know exactly what I'm talkin about... Neighborhood haunts on every other corner haha.

24. I hope I didn't come across as patronizing, just looking to expand my knowledge before I visit.

25. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Chicago and Philly not near the top of that, yeah my ass.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  26. PHILLY muthasucka!!!

waddellc2, ESeab and fujindemon74 like this.
  27. dirtylou

I've been to a lot of bars. I do not remember the last time I saw someone drinking BMC in public (granted, a function of where I spend most of my time). There are plenty of lower end craft offerings that occupy that space in those cities. Plus, again for what its worth, the demographics of Seattle/Portland are very very different from Philly.

Lordkrystic and barleywinefiend like this.
  28. I was trying to come up with a Seattle "bmc dive bar", because I'm sure they exist. All I can come up with is the Smoke Shop though.

29. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

It's an ok list, not what I would call good or great(and I have been to every city listed on said list).

30. dirtylou

My comment wasn't meant as condescending. We have a ton of smaller breweries that dont distribute, so nobody outside of the region knows anything about them.

jconrick1, libbey and Lordkrystic like this.
  31. Very very true on the demographics, I'll give you that. I'm just saying realistically, I'm sure there's at least one shitty dive in those cities.

32. Legalized medical pot?? hehehe:) I couldn't pass that one up !!!

Yakima! Land of HOPS. Seattle is the land of trends... They just really support craft beer. Between them and Port. OR, they make up nearly 12% of all craft sales according to a survey I made up to answer your post :p
    Kidding .... check the facts here.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...2_1_brewers-association-craft-beer-beer-sales
    http://www.seattlemag.com/article/beer/history-beer-seattle

Hotmetal1, supercolter and dirtylou like this.
  33. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

Go San Diego! One reason to be proud of this city (our sports teams are doing terribly).

34. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

Subjective I guess, but maybe Tampa Bay (Tampa/St. Pete) being under the radar is a good thing.

Obviously I carry pride in what we have to offer though, lol.

Schwantz and VonZipper like this.
  35. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Well, that's just the beer culture in the PNW, generally. Sure there are the bars that have 4-8 taps of fizzy yellow beers, but they'll also a few taps of craft. At the very least you'll find Alaskan Amber, Fat Tire, and Mac n Jacks Amber in every Fisherman/Logger/Farmer/Redneck bar you walk into. And, honestly, most of those places will also have some local IPA on tap as well.

36. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (530) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Very good list! Agree with most above Philly over Boston!

37. then
    Well, shit. That's awesome.

38. I think the guy was talking more about the number of quality breweries than which city had the best beer bars.

"The criteria are simple: the largest clusters of A) total breweries and B) outstanding, nationally-recognized breweries. No fluff about civic amenities, nearby tourist attractions, or restaurants and spas."

Smurf2055, ncaudle and victory4me like this.
  39. Those who are butt hurt over no Philly need to realize that the list is entirely based on number of breweries and quality of those breweries. I don't think Philly fits that description for a top beer city.

But feel free to agree with me that it is an enormously stupid idea to only use breweries toward your criteria of best beer city. To not consider: distribution, beer bars, culture, walkability, knowledge of the public, world class events, food, etc. is nonsensical.

We all know that once you factor in all the important criteria that Philadelphia is second to none!

:)

corby112, Smurf2055, ShanePB and 5 others like this.
  40. dkolp

dkolp Aspirant (45) Indiana Jan 23, 2013

I believe there should me a few more midwest cities on the list. Also, the few Vermont beer's I have tasted rocked!!! Put em on the list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.