1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Finally a good Top 10 Cities list

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MacNCheese, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Yeah Boston has Sam Adams!!!!!
  2. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

+ ONE BILLION for Philly. This list is retarded.
    RobertColianni and iKasey like this.
  3. Go Joe Flacco!
    Or just poorly titled. He seemed to be going for "Best cities where you can visit breweries" rather than, you know, "Beer Towns", where Philly would be top 3 easily.
    cjoc83 and RobertColianni like this.
  4. As long as we're talking about distribution, I'd like to make the case for DC. Literally, a liquor store in the District can go to any state, but some beer, bring it back to home, tack on a tax, then legally sell it. It's getting more commonplace to see breweries such as FFF, New Glarus, Cigar City, Surly, and many, many others being sold.

In the past couple of years, we've acquired several news breweries: DC Brau, 3 Stars, Chocolate City, Bluejacket, Port City (VA), Lost Rhino (VA), and Mad Fox (VA). Greater DC area: Flying Dog (MD), DuClaw (MD), and Blue and Gray (VA). Additionally, we have 3 DFH Alehouses.

Between the 3 "states (DC, MD, and VA)," the distribution pool is limitless. For example, one can head to the VA side for their Terrapin and Duck Rabbitt fix, over to Maryland to grab some Bar Harbor goodies, then into DC to get some FFF Dreadnaught. All of this can be done in about a 20 mile radius. The craft culture is pretty exciting in DC right now and in a few years, it wouldn't surprise me to see us on the list.
  5. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Didn't you hear? We just legalized pot.
  6. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

How do they get around the transporting across state lines issue? Buying and selling are one thing, but the federal rules pertaining to transport are pretty strict.
  7. draheim

I keep forgetting it's not like this everywhere. It really should be.
  8. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

The Big Three of Northern Vermont crap on everyone!!!
  9. You know, that's a good question and I hope someone will chime in who knows a heck of a lot more about it than I do. Nevertheless, a large portion of liquor stores in DC do this. I do know that the laws pertaining to beer distribution in general are lax to non-existent. The next time I go into one of the stores I frequent, I'll ask about that.
    beertunes likes this.
  10. This list could be limited to 3 cities/towns/whatever...and Philly would still deserve a spot.
    cjoc83 and RobertColianni like this.
  11. I can sure as hell say DC has some great spots to enjoy beer, and some solid breweries in the area. Can't really talk specifics on the district's policies regarding sale, but from what I remember, Montgomery County had it pretty shitty. Interesting stuff
  12. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

There isn't even a bar in my town...outrageous that we dent make it (laugh out loud face)
  13. Your thread title seems like a complete joke considering Asheville and Philadelphia aren't both in the top five.
    KevinGordon likes this.
  14. draheim

To everyone whining about Philly, I'd only point out that the title right above the actual list reads:
    AMERICA’S REAL TOP TEN BREWING CITIES
    So, exactly what world-class breweries are based in Philadelphia again? I can't think of any.
    (I can't believe I'm defending this guy's list. But there it is.)
  15. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Zealot (90) New York Dec 13, 2012

After reading this Philly clearly leads all cities in most annoying, whining and all around slobs. They drink more Kraft cheez wiz than craft beer.
  16. read the evaluation criteria?

[​IMG]
    ESeab likes this.
  17. Yards, Weyerbacher, PBC, Stoudts, Victory, Troegs all began in Philadelphia and only moved to suburbs for size. You lose. Go home.
    InspectorBob, cjoc83 and fujindemon74 like this.
  18. Whiz isn't really on a cheese steak outside of Geno's and Pat's (which literally receive zero local sales), and nobody from Philly eats them, anyway, so you also lose. Bye.
  19. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

To be fair, the whole conversation started because Nickydee21 said even the BMC dive bars in Philly have Victory and Yards, which doesn't sound terribly different than the BMC bars in Seattle having three different Ambers.
    beertunes likes this.
  20. draheim

That's kind of like saying Brooklyn's best baseball team is the Dodgers.

Look, I'm not saying Philly shouldn't be on a list of great beer cities, or even that it shouldn't be high on such a list. I'm just saying that in 2013, it doesn't boast as many truly great breweries as a lot of the cities on this list.
    beertunes and Onenote81 like this.
  21. To be fair, it's impressive that a New Yorker even acknowledges anything outside his home borough exists.
  22. You got a magical multi-brewery list for Kalamazoo? Oh, only Bell's? Hmm...
    miketd likes this.
  23. Blanco

The list seems to be geared around metropolitan areas and even combines some (Kalamazoo-Grand Rapids) so it would make sense to include the breweries in Philly Burbs.
    MusicaleMike and RobertColianni like this.
  24. Usually, when you're the methamphetamine and herpes capital of the world you don't acknowledge much past a ten block radius, so New York's boroughism has it's understanding.
    dbfp210 and fujindemon74 like this.
  25. Dude, this is the Interwebz.
    We Philly cheerleaders can't be bothered to actually read the article in the embedded link. We're too busy drinking whalez.

Besides, OP titled his thread poorly.
    Furthermore, the article is preceded & linked by "America's Top Ten Beer Towns" and only later mentions "brewing".

And I also can't believe you're defending his list.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  26. SDfinest

SDfinest Aspirant (40) California Mar 12, 2011

Being a San Diego native, I'm proud to see my city at the top of the list. Though I'm drinking a beer from Kansas at the moment and I got to say it's quite good. Those farmers got their brewing down.
  27. This might be the funniest thing I've read on the Interwebz since I've been using the Interwebz.
  28. 30 mile radius of Waterbury VT takes the entire city of Boston, slaps it on its jammy and splits it in half. I lived in Boston for 8 years and can confidently say that the Waterbury/Stowe zone pubs are LOADED with amazing brews and knowledgable beer geeks that crush Boston's snooze fest of blueberry beers and Sam Adams. Blackback Pub, Resivoir Taproom and Prohibition Pig in Waterbury are all on the same block and better than any advocate pub crawl Boston can offer(minus drunk college cuties). If you hit Montpieler the Three Penny taproom may not have as many taps as Sunset Grill, but is way better pound for pound. Worthy Burger in South Royalton has a better beer/burger combo than anyplace in the entire state of MA. I live 1hr from Boston(Concord NH) and almost always choose the extra hour to hit VT. Was at Worthy Burger last nite, look at the second half of their beer board:
    www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=592426127438279&set=pb.419488274732066.-2207520000.1359518149&type=3&theater
    InspectorBob and Number45forever like this.
  29. VonZipper

VonZipper Savant (450) New York Feb 9, 2011

tell the tale...
  30. what's in boston that even justifies it entering into the conversation of top beer cities? i'm asking honestly because i'm up there all the time and would love to stop off at some places. i know sam adams and harpoon are up there but thats not enough to put it on this kind of list.
  31. Asheville, NC deserves more than honorable mention. Thats messed up
  32. draheim

Well, you guys have a point. A number of the breweries listed for Seattle aren't within city limits either.

As for the mixed-up titles, it's possible that an editor or whoever actually puts the material on the website gave it the misleading headline.

I just hope the BA who compiled this list shows up here to defend it (I forget his current username, or I'd personally invite him to join in). I guarantee a holy shit storm will ensue, followed by this thread's inevitable deletion.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  33. Oh, I almost forgot because I'm a little drunk at the moment. Tired Hands in Ardmore takes royal shits on EVERY SINGLE brewery located in/around Boston, Seattle, Kalamazoo, Bend, and Portland. Armore is literally within pissing distance of Philadelphia...considering Philadelphia is bordered by Montgomery Avenue which is the spine of Ardmore, so if Boulder/Denver (and I grew up in Colorado) are combined (40 miles apart) and Kalamazoo/Grand Rapids are mentioned in the same sentence, Philadelphia now has in excess of ten breweries that you've all jerked off to at one point or another.
    ...and we still have Tired Hands.
  34. This sounds like it should be on the next episode of Always Sunny
  35. Blanco

Boston has a decent beer culture in that it's not hard to get a craft beer and the populace generally seems to appreciate craft. You can get a decent beer in most places. And there are some good local brews. It's not amongst the greats, but as a craft beer drinker there are much worse places.
  36. I'm gonna go ahead and call Shenanigans on this statement. When I lived in Boston, everyone drank Bud and Bud Light. I couldn't even find Sam Adams in most bars.
  37. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

But sunny is awesome, that dude is not.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  38. slander

slander Site Editor (580) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

Number and quality of those breweries...

I would take Philly (and burbs) over Boston (and 1/2 what is shown here that we know to be the burbs) any day...
    sacrelicio likes this.
  39. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

Must be from all that jerking off over your thousands of excellent breweries.
  40. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Zealot (90) New York Dec 13, 2012

I acknowlwdge everyone in Philly has a something to be proud about. Your #1 for losing in all sports, your #1 for f topping your meals with random fried crap and liquid cheese, and Victory beer is #1 in dust covered bottles where ever it is sold. Their ranch IPA has ranch dressing in it... Ugh those dumb kegs are still wasting tap space from Philly beer week 2012
    someone please look at the breweries taking part of Philly beer week 2013. Why is every other state dominating your lineup? Philly ISO any recognition FT cheeze whiz
    News flash all of the breweries moved out of Philly because the city smells like dumpster juice.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.