Finally a good Top 10 Cities list

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MacNCheese, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirtylou

dirtylou Grand Pooh-Bah (3,266) May 12, 2005 Oklahoma
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

For what its worth, there is no such thing as a "bmc dive bar" in seattle or portland. Does not exist...

2. dirtylou

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm not sure they are #3, but I can step outside of my house and walk to 8 different breweries, so there's that. You might not know who they are, but that's a different subject altogether.

3. NickyDee21

NickyDee21 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2011 Pennsylvania

I find that terribly hard to believe. There's neighborhood dives in every city that have 6 or so taps of that stuff. That's like saying you have a whole city and not one person who drinks those beers can find a bar that caters to their tastes. Anyone who's been in Port Richmond/Frankford/Mayfair sections of Philly know exactly what I'm talkin about... Neighborhood haunts on every other corner haha.

4. wesbray

wesbray Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Canada (AB)

I hope I didn't come across as patronizing, just looking to expand my knowledge before I visit.

5. beerborn

beerborn Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Louisiana

Chicago and Philly not near the top of that, yeah my ass.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  6. BigMike

BigMike Pooh-Bah (2,230) May 8, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

PHILLY muthasucka!!!

waddellc2, ESeab and fujindemon74 like this.
  7. dirtylou

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I've been to a lot of bars. I do not remember the last time I saw someone drinking BMC in public (granted, a function of where I spend most of my time). There are plenty of lower end craft offerings that occupy that space in those cities. Plus, again for what its worth, the demographics of Seattle/Portland are very very different from Philly.

Lordkrystic and barleywinefiend like this.
  8. slinkie

slinkie Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2011 Washington

I was trying to come up with a Seattle "bmc dive bar", because I'm sure they exist. All I can come up with is the Smoke Shop though.

9. miketd

miketd Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

It's an ok list, not what I would call good or great(and I have been to every city listed on said list).

10. dirtylou

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My comment wasn't meant as condescending. We have a ton of smaller breweries that dont distribute, so nobody outside of the region knows anything about them.

jconrick1, libbey and Lordkrystic like this.
  11. NickyDee21

Very very true on the demographics, I'll give you that. I'm just saying realistically, I'm sure there's at least one shitty dive in those cities.

12. TheBeerShop

TheBeerShop Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2012 Massachusetts

Legalized medical pot?? hehehe:slight_smile: I couldn't pass that one up !!!

Yakima! Land of HOPS. Seattle is the land of trends... They just really support craft beer. Between them and Port. OR, they make up nearly 12% of all craft sales according to a survey I made up to answer your post :stuck_out_tongue:
    Kidding .... check the facts here.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...2_1_brewers-association-craft-beer-beer-sales
    http://www.seattlemag.com/article/beer/history-beer-seattle

Hotmetal1, supercolter and dirtylou like this.
  13. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2012 California

Go San Diego! One reason to be proud of this city (our sports teams are doing terribly).

14. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2012 Alabama
    Deactivated

Subjective I guess, but maybe Tampa Bay (Tampa/St. Pete) being under the radar is a good thing.

Obviously I carry pride in what we have to offer though, lol.

Schwantz and VonZipper like this.
  15. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Well, that's just the beer culture in the PNW, generally. Sure there are the bars that have 4-8 taps of fizzy yellow beers, but they'll also a few taps of craft. At the very least you'll find Alaskan Amber, Fat Tire, and Mac n Jacks Amber in every Fisherman/Logger/Farmer/Redneck bar you walk into. And, honestly, most of those places will also have some local IPA on tap as well.

16. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

Very good list! Agree with most above Philly over Boston!

17. NickyDee21

then
    Well, shit. That's awesome.

18. Anker13

Anker13 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 New Jersey

I think the guy was talking more about the number of quality breweries than which city had the best beer bars.

"The criteria are simple: the largest clusters of A) total breweries and B) outstanding, nationally-recognized breweries. No fluff about civic amenities, nearby tourist attractions, or restaurants and spas."

Smurf2055, ncaudle and victory4me like this.
  19. victory4me

victory4me Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2004 Pennsylvania

Those who are butt hurt over no Philly need to realize that the list is entirely based on number of breweries and quality of those breweries. I don't think Philly fits that description for a top beer city.

But feel free to agree with me that it is an enormously stupid idea to only use breweries toward your criteria of best beer city. To not consider: distribution, beer bars, culture, walkability, knowledge of the public, world class events, food, etc. is nonsensical.

We all know that once you factor in all the important criteria that Philadelphia is second to none!

:slight_smile:

corby112, Smurf2055, ShanePB and 5 others like this.
  20. dkolp

dkolp Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Indiana

I believe there should me a few more midwest cities on the list. Also, the few Vermont beer's I have tasted rocked!!! Put em on the list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.