1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Finally a good Top 10 Cities list

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MacNCheese, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Now I remember why I never go to Philadelphia.

2. dirtylou

Asheville is wonderful. If its a top 5 beer city in the USA, then we got some serious issues. Fortunately, its not even close.

3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Clearly you're a little drunk. If you haven't had anything from Cascade, Upright, Hair of the Dog, Logsdon, Boneyard, Black Raven, or Fremont (among probably a number of others), you're forgiven for making that statement.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  4. Blanco

Blanco Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

Maybe it's just the places I frequented. I spent every weekend for 4 years there while my wife was in school and was never like "goddamn I can't even find a Sam Adams." Maybe that's just Brookline/Alston/Fenway.

5. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

You need ... to stop talking and giving away all our secrets... SHAME ON YOU!!! ;)

Chaney likes this.
  6. I can only think of one brewery in the greater Boston area that has national recognition. We have at least four in Philadelphia. When it comes to places to drink we have four of the top one-hundred beer bars in the country according to various lists. Boston claims zero. These two factors alone allow Philadelphia to jump Beanhola on this list.
    Also, jmmy3, you blow. Great points you've provided. Oh, wait...
    Guess we can now claim three trumps over Boston: we have more intelligent people.

cjoc83 likes this.
  7. Blanco

Relax man, I clearly said "It's not amongst the greats, but as a craft beer drinker there are much worse places."

8. philly would be the best beer city in the world if nobody lived there...

9. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (355) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

Yeah like all those people stabbing each other for dumpster Cheetos, doing the world a favor for sure.

To be fair I'd be bitter too if I had to deal with such terrible sports teams.

10. dirtylou

Tell me more of these dumpster cheetos...pair well with tired hands?

barleywinefiend likes this.
  11. Boston Beer Works is awesome though, I must say. But for real, the local bar scene is very underwhelming. Oh but hey, you can get Guinness on tap every-damn-where

12. Asheville should be top 10 though. I cant say exactly where, but it should be. Much moreso than Boston

13. Blanco

Sunset Grille, Sunset Cantina, Publick House...Those are pretty top notch.

14. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (355) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

Have you been here recently though? Bars seem to be buying into the craft movement at a rapid rate here now. I can't remember the last time I went out to eat and was unable to find something interesting to drink.

15. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

I'm trying to remember his new name too. I'm thinking that maybe that account was shut down also? If anyone was reading the Letspour thread, he was the sole reason that a number of people vowed to never order from them (Letspour) again. He's incredibly arrogant and he's had Tired Hands before, he just didn't swallow.

BuckeyeOne likes this.
  16. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) California Jan 17, 2013

2 breweries doesn't make a great beer city. San Diego has 60+ and same near all are making fantastic beer. Another 39 in planning.

17. Actually no, last time I was there was 2008. I remember hanging out with some friends once, and we went on a beer run. I went into the store alone, and came out with a 12 pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager. They were pissed at me for not getting Bud

18. i would absolutely love to know what you know about smithtown.

VonZipper likes this.
  19. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I live in Seattle and I can tell you we should not be listed on this list.

20. Why didn't you do Seattle/Portland....considering you did Denver/boulder...?

21. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

i'm surprised SF placed that high. of course everyone is going to root for their own city but for my money Los Angeles has SF beat for beer bars

22. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

Plus, half of the breweries listed as being "in SF" aren't in the city. Nor are they in the same county. And if you're including Marin, why not include Lagunitas? It's just up the road - where do you draw the line?

If it were my list, Seattle wouldn't be on it. Homerism is funny.

23. Minneapolis is where it's happening.

24. Why the Seattle Hate? I lived in downtown Seattle for a couple of years and can testify that it is a true beer city. And not only is it a beer city but an "old school" beer city. Craft beer and micros have been common place in their bars and stores much longer than most other cities. Here in San Diego there are tons of awesome breweries but the average person is much less into beer than a true Seattlite.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  25. You're serious, aren't you?
    150+ miles and 3 hours versus 30 miles and 25 minutes...

26. Actually their pot is legalized across the board. Which is the sane position.

But I was just there a couple months ago, and I saw no reason why their beer scene should even be in the top 25

27. draheim

Maybe you were looking for hipsters standing in line to buy beer. We don't do that here.

28. I'll shoot you a "like," cause I love your work man. We do have a number of great breweries, but I spent 2 days in San Diego, and I can say it aint happening here

29. That's certainly a posibilty, when you consider that the universe presents an infinite array of possibilities, but no, I was't looking for hipsters. I never have, nor will I ever.

feloniousmonk likes this.
  30. Yep!

~Buffalo to Syracuse sir...150/3...50 mph is impressive as well, when did they squeeze that fifth cylinder into your hybrids (jk).

31. draheim

You've been to Seattle, so you know more about the possibilities of the universe than most.
    Because its center is located here.

32. Yeah, I spent a couple hours at Fremont. Pretty cool brewery. Comparable to Steel Toe, in St Louis Park, MN. The ole boy that was showing me around your beer scene singled that out as the best you have to offer. I'm not turding on it, its a cool brewery. But if that's the best you got, you're not in the top 10

33. draheim

Just so you're not confusing the brewery with the beer. And I don't know if it's the best we've got, that's just one man's opinion; but it is a personal favorite. They're only 4 years old, and I think they're just starting to hit their stride.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  34. I don't understand what you're saying at all. You just compared two ridiculously irrelevant points in order to solidify yours and it didn't work because it doesn't make a lick of sense. Stop wasting our brain cells.
    Denver to Boulder is 30 miles.
    Portland to Seattle is 175 miles.
    Are you intelligent enough to understand that one trip is literally a "quick" drive there and back and the other is a 350 mile ordeal that needs significant planning? How don't you understand the idiocy behind your statement?

35. draheim

You are aware that Vermont, which received an "honorable mention" on this list, is 160 miles long and 80 miles wide (9,620 square miles total area)? That's more than twice as large as all of San Diego County. And certainly larger than the I-5 corridor between Seattle and Portland.

And, for the record, Denver, Jefferson, and Boulder Counties combined are 1,670 square miles.

36. I am, but Vermont didn't make the cut and I can sort of rationalize calling it a single bodied economy whereas Seattle and Portland are not.

37. I hate this list for being the culprit behind this hateful thread. Seriously, Seattle at three, Asheville only an honorable mention on the sole fact that it doesn't have a nationally recognizable powerhouse (yet), Philadelphia not at least being a dash above Boston, and mergers here and there that have no rhyme or reason while other greater metropolitan mergers are completely left out, a homebody vote with a context point of Red Hook and Pike, and I can't even post a comment on the article because I don't have a Facebook account. It's like a kid wrote the article and when realizing he could put a barrier against any respectable adult responding, he jumped all over it. Regardless of Philadelphia being there or not, the only consistency with this list is inconsistency.

38. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Yeah , you are second to none, but third to two. IIRC New Jersey has best distro in the country.

39. Um Vermont is not a city so that means the writer clearly don't have a clue. Philadelphia get more breweries beers then most of any of these cities mentioned and not to mention the big German and Belgian beer selection. Some research have not been done on Philadelphia.

youbrewidrink likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.