1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Finally a good Top 10 Cities list

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MacNCheese, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Colorado still doesn't allow grocery stores to sell beer. Well, anything more than 3.2% anyway. Doesn't keep us from making great beer.
  2. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Ha! New York doesn't even get Bell's, let alone Russian River or any number of other brewery's products. Philly has a dense concentration of craft beer bars, and probably has access to more beers, including from Belgium and Germany, than any other city in America. Though ignorance when it comes to beer is not surprising from someone who comes from the place whose greatest contribution to the beer world is I.C. Light.

Of course, none of that is relevant to the list from the OP, but no sweat. I know you folks out west aren't big on things like reading.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  3. grand rapids.. founders
  4. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

Why do these threads always get derailed by obnoxious east coast pissing contests?
  5. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

and then it's a really short walk to Cascade.
    jconrick1 likes this.
  6. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Thread was derailed from the git-go.
  7. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

#1 Ft. Collins #2 Portland #3 San Diego #4 Denver #5 Chicago #6 Grand Rapids #7 Philly #8 Bend #9 Twin Cities
  8. dirtylou

Oye vey.
  9. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I can't stand these lists. I have literally been to every city on that list for a "beercation". My experience is that Denver/boulder is the one to beat, hell the whole state of Colorado is the one to beat.
    RobertColianni and SalukiAlum like this.
  10. SalukiAlum

Makes it even easier, when the Rocky Mountains are the back drop!
    RobertColianni and beercanman like this.
  11. Granted it's a county, not a city, but California's Sonoma County has three first-tier breweries: Bear Republic in Healdsburg; Russian River in Santa Rosa; and Lagunitas in Petaluma. (Another post incorrectly said Lagunitas is in Marin County.)
  12. mikeyv35

mikeyv35 Savant (365) New York Oct 15, 2008

Your correct, Philadelphia great beer distribution & beer bars, but thats it! No breweries or breweries worth talking about in Philly. NY however, has tremendous beer bars and pretty good distribution IMO, and we have some good breweries in the city to match as well.

Also, you might want to check that Iron City beer thought as Pittsburgh greatest contribution to the beer world. Last time I checked we had a small brewery that just expanded into a much larger capacity brewery due to flourishing in the industry, the place is called East End Brewing Co. You ever heard of them?
  13. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

New York has worse distribution (though pretty good), and Brooklyn has two nationally recognized breweries but that's about it. New York should be acknowledged as a tremendous city, just not in the beer world.

Pittsburgh shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread so let's just stop there.
  14. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

As much as I love reading about how great the bars are in people's cities, or how great the distribution is, thats NOT what this list is about. I dont know how many times that needs to be repeated.

This stupid list (as opposed to other stupid lists) claims to rank cities based on BREWERIES - number, and national recognition.

So if your city has great bars - awesome. If you get good distribution - lucky you. But if you want to criticize the list, try to actually do it based on what the list is talking about.
  15. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

When I saw your list I knew you were going to live in Fort Collins. I must be a psychic. Going to buy Powerball Tickets.
  16. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

Chicagoland at 10 and Philly not included means this list is a joke.
    RobertColianni and Docrock like this.
  17. SalukiAlum

Of course a bit of homerism there :) I've been to all 9 places I listed though and would still keep my town in the rankings, okay maybe not #1. But we have a college town of about 140,000 with well over 10 breweries in a few miles radius including: New Belgium, Odell, Funkwerks, etc. Some of the best beer bars I've ever been to with Mayor of Old Town, Choice City and Tap & Handle to name a few. Come visit! Oh yeah and craft brew rules here, not many BMC drinkers.
  18. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

I've been there and loved it. I commented to my wife that I could live there.

I
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  19. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

20. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,050) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I had a good time on my recent visit, but if you aren't from the area the altitude and dryness is just murder to go out drinking no matter how much water you have.

It's like dealing with severe hangovers all the time and you aren't even drunk, rampant cracking skin, and nose bleeds all the time, where is the fun in THAT!? ;)
  21. The fact that the author is considering the state of VT a city and it doesn't even crack the top ten shows the blatent ignorance of whomever compiled said list and immediatley undermines their credibility. One of the most unobjective lists I've seen. The title of the post should be "Top ten best beer towns as considered by someone living in a West Coast bubble". But the author declared it non-fiction so it is fact. Just more proof that "best of" lists are dumb.
    RobertColianni and Bradystraps like this.
  22. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Beats me. The Fillydelphians seem to scream alot. Maybe they're still mad at the Eagles.

Yes I've done that walk before as well as Green Dragon and the little gin distillery around the corner. I also happen to like the Lucky Lab over there, too many spaces, never enough time.

It's about breweries, not bars or 'distribution'. Philly is where the west coast sends it's outdated bottles to die.
    HopHead84 likes this.
  23. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

You should try visiting more often...
    RobertColianni likes this.
  24. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

I'm a fan of this version:

Docrock, beertunes and leedorham like this.
  25. Flyway

Flyway Zealot (85) Wisconsin Oct 22, 2012

Milwaukee... #1 Brandy city?
  26. How the hell does an area with 5 of the top 20 beers rated in the USA NOT make the Top 10 list??? Absurd.
    Waterbury, VT area needs to be in any Top 10 list. Period.

BTW... it also owns the number 1 rated beer in America as well.
  27. I live in Philly. I just walked a block to my neighborhood bar. Without even getting into the selection of over 200 bottles, here's what's on tap:
    AleSmith IPA
    Avery IPA
    Brouwerij Roman Ename Tripel
    Bruery Rugbrod
    DuClaw Euphoria
    Free Will Coffee Oatmeal Brown
    Harpoon Leviathan Czernobog
    Green Flash/St. Feuillien Friendship Brew
    Lancaster Winter Warmer
    Spaten Premium
    Omnipollo Leon
    Telegraph Winter Ale
    Terrapin Oak Aged Big Hoppy Monster
    Weyerbacher Quad
    Terrapin Hop Karma
    Victory Hop Devil
    Yards ESA
  28. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Congratulations. The list is about BREWERIES. Thanks for playing.
  29. nachos

nachos Aficionado (215) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

Everyday I have to say to myself, "No, resist the urge to troll on BA." But, threads like these make it so very very difficult not to give in.
    beertunes likes this.
  30. Gatch

Gatch Savant (450) Massachusetts Nov 29, 2006

This list is about the best beer cities, which I think should include bars and such, but since it doesn't and is about breweries, Phoenix and Arizona in general get crushed.

I lived in Tempe/Scottsdale from 2005-2012 and I can say that while the Phoenix area is slowly improving upon where it was about five years ago, it's still a relative "desert" for craft beer. Get it? ;) There are some great bars and a few decent breweries (Four Peaks is king in the state but still mediocre on the national scale) but most are spread throughout the massive urban/suburban sprawl. And specifically to this site, the BA representation is very weak. Tempe is doing well so far with bars such as Taste of Tops, Boulders, WOB, and Flanny's. There's only a few great beer bars outside of Tempe like Papago, Delux, and The Hungry Monk.

So what I'm saying is, while the Phoenix area is getting better, it's no where near the Top 10 in the country for craft beer availability or number of quality breweries.
    yemenmocha likes this.
  31. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Thread was started by a derailer.
  32. Here is what you see draft down the block in Seattle w/ 1,000 bottles:
    1) Lazy Boy - Experimental IPA
    2) Levenworth- Blind Pig Dunkelweisse
    3) Dogfish Head - Hellhound on My Ale
    4) Sam Adams- Alpine Spring
    5) Fremont - Universal Pale
    6) Elysian - Mortis Persimmon Sour
    7) Snipes- Wild Eye.P.A
    8) NW Peaks - Maude's English Mild
    9) American- Impaler Pale
    10) Snipes- Pear Saisson
    11) Leavenworth - Black Lager
    12) Cascade - Apricot Sour
    13) Hilliards - Oaked Saison
    14) Coronado - Belgian IPA
    15) Sam Adams - New Albion Pale
    16) Snoqualmie - Haystack Hefe
    17) Laurelwood - Workhorse IPA
    18) Green Flash - Palate Wrecker IPA
    19) Snipes - IPA
    20) Bainbridge Island- Blakely Brown
    21) Full Sail - Wreck the Halls
    22) Caldera - IPA
    23) NITRO: Deschutes - Red Chair NW Pale
    24) Laurelwood - Espresso Stout
    25) Deschutes - Inversion IPA
    26) Sound - Humulo Nimbus IIPA
    27) Sierra Nevada- Bigfoot Barleywine
    28) Spire - Pear Cider
    29) Tieton- Apricot Cider
    30) Tieton- Dry Hopped Cider
    31) Cascade - Frostkiller
    32) Bridgeport - Olde Knucklehead Barleywine
    33) Issaquah - Apple Frog Tripel w/Apple
    34) NW Peaks - Blewett Scottish Ale
    35) Southern Tier - Choklat Stout
    36) Maui Brewing - Coconut Porter
    37) Diamond Knot- Slane's Irish Red
    38) Maritime - Bosun's Black Porter
    SatlyMalty, beertunes and draheim like this.
  33. leedorham

I know that can't be Brouwer's. Not enough taps ;)
  34. draheim

Looks like I chose the right city to live in.
    barleywinefiend likes this.
  35. leedorham

Not a single Spokane beer on that list though. We're gonna invade your shit shortly.
    beertunes likes this.
  36. draheim

In other news, the sun rose in the east again today. ;)
    beertunes and barleywinefiend like this.
  37. draheim

I had my first No-Li beer last night, Silent Treatment. It was pretty good. Need to put that stuff in 12oz cans.
    leedorham likes this.
  38. leedorham

Solar Winds should be out soon. They give it a different hop treatment every year and last year's (Citra) was most excellent.

I'm gonna be the annoying Iron Goat fan boy pretty soon though.
  39. dirtylou

2 great breweries (note: not in Waterbury) and 1 other brewery that makes 1 great beer does not = Great beer city.
    Errto, beertunes and barleywinefiend like this.
  40. Routinely visit family in Phx area(Snottsdale) and like the beer scene. They have a few more expansions since I was last there in 2009. Going back next month for a refresher. Dying to check out some newer spots. Papago is always my go to spot though! Delux has killer burgers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.