1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Finally a good Top 10 Cities list

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MacNCheese, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Docrock

Docrock Savant (435) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

As someone who deals with statistics for a living it would be interesting to track the Trade forum to determine what beers are the most sought after and then group by territory. Just a quick glance through current listings seems like the most sought after areas are ( in no order ) Vt, southern MIchigan( Includes Founders, Bells, Dark Horse, Kuhnhenn), Chicago ( includes 3 Floyd's) , then Northern San Fran Bay Area. Just an observation!
  2. June gloom, that was a surprise.

Edit. Liked my trip to SD. I did realize that most are refering to SD county, not just the city.
  3. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

Would be good to adjust for those areas where it seems like people are only chasing one or two breweries.
  4. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

St. Louis deserves to be on that list. LOTS of great craft here, even if under the radar!
  5. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

St. Louis is doing well, but not top #10 in the US
  6. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

California and Colorado have a total of 10 cities with better micro than STL
  7. LOL Are you drinking bourbon? I don't live in Asheville...but it's an amazing city.
  8. Two more points:

1) In my opinion, what makes SD my top beer city is that in addition to the plethora of excellent bars/breweries, the distribution of world class breweries from the country and around the world put it over the top.

2) I have not personally done this but have friends that have traded growlers of barrel aged stone beers to people in SD who complained that they were bringing these kegs to events out of state and not tapping them locally. This was a few years ago, however.
  9. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

Pecan's Guide to a Successful "Top Cities" Posting

1. Claim list is bull UNLESS they rated your city numero uno.
    2. Express why it's bull: Your city wasn't number one.
    3. Fervently defend this position by:
    a. Referencing multiple mediocre breweries and beer bars, claiming they are better than anything else.
    b. Making sure everyone knows that you think breweries and beer bars outside of your city are overrated trash.
    4. Subtly insult the intelligence of anyone who has disagreed with or will disagree with you.
    4 (Pro Mode). Not-so-subtly, in fact abrasively, insult the intelligence of anyone who has disagreed with or will disagree with you.
    5. Go browse the trade section for the dream brews you can't get in your city while waiting for responses.
    6 (Post-post). Respond to any responses with steps 3 & 4.
  10. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) California Jan 17, 2013

Don't forget May Gray. Just stay east of The 5 and you're good.
  11. mikeyv35

mikeyv35 Savant (365) New York Oct 15, 2008

I was simply making the East End point about Pittsburgh because some guy said our greatest contribution to the beer world is I.C. Light. I was not trying to make an arguement for Pittsburgh to be in the top ten because they most likely would not even make the top 100. However, if we were talking about football or hockey that would be a different story.

Yes, Brooklyn has 2 nationally recognized breweries in Brooklyn and Sixpoint, but also Keegans makes great beer in Queens and right on the outskirts of the city we have Southampton and Captain Lawrence. If you included those 2 amazing breweries I think NYC would definately be in the top 10.
  12. John Daley driving a golf ball across the Susquehanna and losing to the Broncos in last years playoffs is all anyone currently remembers about your city.
  13. mikeyv35

Do I honestly have to remind you that the Pittsburgh Steelers are the greatest team to ever grace a football field! 6 Super Bowl rings end point.
  14. And I said, "Listen, I've traveled every road in this here land. . ."

I doubt very few of the people commenting "___ is awesome, ___ sucks, shouldn't be on the list" have been to all ten metro areas and their breweries.

Homers arguing their average local brew is "world class" smacks of "I haven't been anywhere man."
  15. mikeyv35

I gotta say, I love women with big booties, and your avatar just reminded me of how much!
  16. Objective football fans know the 85 Bears would have kicked the shit out of even the best Steelers team, which was probably '79. Vegas would set that line at Chicago -9.5 on a neutral field.

Same thing beer wise: Chicago > Pitt

6 championships. . . that's prolly cute sounding to the Green Bay Packers with their 13 championships. Speaking of the Packers, how'd that last Super Bowl work out for ya?
    Yeah, Wisconsin > PA for beer too.

Glad we can agree on asses though!!! Cheers & beers.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  17. Thankfully the jaded Pittsburgh brass will have to share that notation come Monday morning. Either way, you're about eight championships short of Green Bay, and you've only gotten two in the past thirty years...just like them, and I doubt you're over forty with the way you argue, so you've probably only seen these last couple. Back to the pastrami.
  18. mikeyv35

Yes, asses we definately agree on, but not the 85 Bears beating the best the Steelers have ever put on the field. I just don't see how the 1985 Bears could possibly put up any points against The Curtain. However, the 1985 Bears were tremendous especially w/ The Super Bowl Shuffle and The Fridge. It's a shame what happened to Jim McMahon!

Also, technically the Green Bay Packers have the most championships, but since the merger of the conferences and the start of the Super Bowl era the Steelers have out performed everyone to date.
  19. mikeyv35

Actually, I have 7 years on you and have been watching the Steelers since I was a small boy with my father and family in Pittsburgh. In my lifetime the Steelers have won 5 Super Bowls with only 1 being before I was born.

Aren't you from the Philly area? Have you guys ever even won a Super Bowl?
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  20. If you have seven years on me, you've seen them win twice. As I said, two in the last thirty (32 to be exact) so now I question your actual fanhood.
    ...and I assume you're not a real hockey fan if you can't recognize my avatar. I currently live in Philadelphia. I'm from Leadville, Colorado. Only a fool would cheer for a Philadelphia sports franchise.
  21. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

The Philly area is terrific, all the major players, even Russian River. Waterbury has everything from IPA's to Sours, to Porters, all world class and maybe 3-4 bars that do it all. The remote part is a bit of a pain in the ass, but it's worth the effort. Timing is key.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  22. While not in the top 10, I was VERY impressed with St. Louis when my wife and I visited there this past summer. In addition to Schlafly's, which is the most recognized, "Four Hands" and "Urban Chestnut" were both excellent. I've told lots of people here lately how quickly St. Louis has moved up the craft beer ladder.
  23. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

this

end thread
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.