1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Findlay, Ohio brewery?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Mothergoose03, Jul 15, 2012.

1. I thought I had read somewhere recently that a new brewery was opening in Findlay but I can't find anything about it now. Does anyone have any info? Thanks.

2. Alembician

Alembician Aficionado (115) Ohio May 29, 2011

3. Okay, thanks Alembican. It does not sound like they are open yet. I'm passing through there tomorrow, so I think I pass on thru for something else.

4. lftwng4

lftwng4 Aficionado (230) Ohio Oct 12, 2007

I live in Findlay, not sure what's going on with the Findlay Brewing Company. I have never seen their beer for sale, and note that webpage hasn't been updated in quite a while. We do have Alexandria's, and they brew a couple of beers of their own. The wife had a milk stout the other day and she liked it. They also have a decent amount of taps, had Headhunter on Friday.
    As far as I know, they're the only game in town, check 'em out: http://www.alexandriasfindlay.com/

5. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Their website makes me not want to patronize their establishment. And for a yet-to-open brewery to take a shot at Elevator Brew. Co. (I've never had any of their beers) is pretty busch-league.

The guy in the red-pumps looks a little too comfortable in them too.

6. Bonis

Bonis Savant (410) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

I'd saw they're pretty spot on about Elevator. IMO none of their regular offerings are exceptional... now if they had that BBA Espresso Imperial Stout on tap all the time, I'd be there constantly. And contrary to what he said, the food and atmosphere is what keeps me away from Elevator. If it were a more casual bar setting, I would visit more. Not that I don't like the food, just outta my budget.

I really don't get their website though. How could you even call yourself a brewery, produce no beers, have a website, and not update it in almost a year? I'm confused.

7. lftwng4

Again, I will emphasize that Findlay Brewing Company is not the same as Alexandria's(which is a very nice place with lots of beers, a few of their own, and pretty good food) and to my knowledge, they are not affiliated with each other.

8. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I agree it was BS to make negative comments about another brewer... especially since they are brewing and you are not. Sounds like a douche and I'll probably avoid them, even if they ever get the place running.

9. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (350) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

If you want to do a review of another brewer's beer, do it as an individual, not as a company. That's just fucking stupid.

Spider889 likes this.
  10. BJRHOMEBREW

BJRHOMEBREW Aficionado (235) Ohio Dec 18, 2008

We just moved to Findlay and went to Alexandria's. Food, beer selection, and atmosphere were good, I am a little confused though because they say they are in-house brewery and yet I didn't see a single piece of brewing equipment.

11. lftwng4

Is it in the back room? I know they're going through some transitions there, for some reason I thought the one bartender told me they were setting it up in the giant back room.
    The wife and I stopped there last night, they had the Stone Ruination 10th Anniversary on tap, delicious.

12. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Calling Elevator "forgettable" is definitely a foot-in-mouth moment... let this be a lesson to any small business owners. It's not a good idea to publicly say anything negative about another small business, especially one in your own state when you aren't even established yet.

13. Alembician

Alembician Aficionado (115) Ohio May 29, 2011

That was actually the Stone Double Dry-Hopped Ruination I believe.

14. lftwng4

In there Friday night, menu called it the 10th Anniversary Double Dry Hopped Ruination, said it was over 10% ABV, etc. So I'm not sure what I was drinking, but it was tasty.

15. AaronOzb

AaronOzb Aspirant (25) Mar 19, 2013

I Just happened to come across this thread and thought I'd chime in. I am one of the owners of Findlay Brewing Company. So yeah, we need a website! We have had the blog up for a long time. Basically, a few years ago we decided to try and start the brewery...and in all that time, the blog sometimes had attention and sometimes not. We are hoping to have a real website up in the near future. We will get better!

Also Ill say that I have been to Elevator and I loved it! I'm jealous of their beers...and could only hope to one day reach their success. I think Alex wrote that at a time when we really didn't think we would get our brewery off the ground, so it was written from a personal perspective. But no excuses, it was bad form and we want to be better than that! I definitely recommend a trip to Elevator Brewing...they are great and you wont regret it!

I think I can answer a couple questions, as a customer, about Alexandrias as well. Great place! They do have a brew system, but up to this point they have only brewed a small number batches in house. Once they have a batch, they serve directly from a brite tank in their cooler. For right now, mostly the house beers they offer come from Michigan. The owner owns both Alexandrias and the Michigan brewery. They do have an amazing selection of beers on tap and great food! You will find us FBC brewers there often.

So, after all this time, we were just issued our brewing licence a couple weeks ago. We are extremely excited this is finally happening. This has been, and still is, a huge learning experience for all of us, so I hope you will give us a chance and let us know what you think. We want to get better, so any and all input is welcome! Right now we are in talks with a couple places downtown to have one of our beers on tap. Then, if successful, we will try to offer a number of beers at the brewery. We will post something on the blog when we know where we will be on tap.

TL;DR: Beer good.

fishtremble likes this.
  16. beesy

beesy Savant (380) Ohio Jul 21, 2010

So now that you have your licenses it's time to do damage control? I'm sure you're all great guys and what not but you'll have to understand my skepticism. According to the Secretary of State, Alex had the business license for Findlay Brewing Company issued on 03/15/2009 - the date he should have started treating his posts as business posts and went and cleaned up his personal, negative posts associated with the company and site.

M1A2 likes this.
  17. lftwng4

Damage control or not, these guys are fairly young and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. People make mistakes, no big deal.

Personally, I'm looking forward to trying your beers, and I'll keep an eye on the blog for their availability.
    Good luck.

BJRHOMEBREW likes this.