1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Finland, Helsinki and Lahti Any good pubs or microbrews?

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by DthMtlSash, May 16, 2012.

1. Hey Guys,

I will be heading to FInland for about a week mostly work related But i was wondering if any one was aware of any interesting Bar's pub's or even microbrews that do something out of the Ordinary, I would to visit any recommendations I will be in Helsinki for about 3 days and Lahti for about 3 days. So please do let me know, I do appreciate any help, thank you.
  2. mjsaarin

mjsaarin Zealot (95) Finland Mar 21, 2009

Sahti is of course something you need to try while in Finland. In the Helsinki city centre there are two pubs serving sahti: Villi Wäinö (Kalevankatu 4) and St. Urho's Pub (Museokatu 10). In Lahti the pub called Metro (under the market square, used to be a public toilet) has served Joutsan Sahti but I don't know the current situation.

There is only one brewpub in the central Helsinki called Bruuveri. It's located in the Kamppi shopping centre. They may have interesting brews available but the prices of the beers are ridiculously expensive. The Teerenpeli near the Kamppi shopping centre occasionallly brews beer of their own. The other pubs to visit in the central Helsinki are for example Kaisla (Vilhonkatu 4), Black Door (Iso Roobertinkatu 1) and Kitty's (Keskuskatu 6, inner yard). Further away are Viisi Penniä (Mannerhemintie 55), Pikkulintu (Rättärinpolku 2) and One Pint (Santakatu 2).

The main brewery of Teerenpeli is in Lahti (Rautatienkatu 13, brewery, and Vapaudenkatu 20, pub). Lahti has got another brewpub, too, called Aleksin Panimo (Aleksanterinkatu 6).

You didn't mention the time of your visit. There is a microbrew festival called Great Beers - Small Breweries. It's arranged in Lahti from June 28 to June 30 and in Helsinki from July 26 to July 28.
    DthMtlSash likes this.
  3. Wow thank you so much for this information , I really appreciate the details.
  4. Keene

Keene Managing Editor (210) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2009 Staff Member

These are all great suggestions. Just outside of Lahti there's a small restaurant and brewery that's making some good stuff, including sahti: http://whereandback.blogspot.com/2012/03/beer-tasting-in-moose-country.html

You'll need a car to get there (or a bike if you're feeling ambitious), but it's worth the trip. Also, Mathias, the brewer at ALEXIN, told me that another brewery is slated to open outside of Lahti at some point this summer.