1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone Invitational the 2nd

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by PaulStoneAnchor, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Thanks that's a pretty good rate.

2. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (290) California Jan 12, 2009

How you missed it last year I'll never know!

3. Let me tell you, if you're going with a group of at least 4, looking into home rentals through HomeAway or VRBO really is a great way to go. My group rented a 3 bedroom a half mile away from the fairgrounds, the per person nightly rate (taxes and cleaning fee included) is absolutely unbeatable, especially compared to the $108 per night we paid last year for the Motel 6!

4. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (400) California May 19, 2006

My girlfriend and I camped the night before last year. Then we crawled over the Motel 6 afterward. This year I have two nights reserved at the Best Western, but we may camp the night before again - we'll see how it goes.

5. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (270) California Jul 12, 2012

anyone know how many tix were sold?

6. Call up the Adelaide, they've blocked out their website for this event. They are taking reservations by phone (as of around noon today).

7. A bottleshare after the festival? That is a lot of beer.

8. I am very excited. Adelaide Friday and Saturday. Bottle collection in progress

9. Skuter

Skuter Savant (270) California Jun 21, 2008

We actually did a bottleshare the night before and the night after!

10. For those who are familiar with the hotels in the area, which is better, the Best Western Black Oak or The Adelaide Inn?

11. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

If you plan on attending a pre Fest bottle share.....The Adelaide

12. That sounds fun though I was under the impression that the Adelaide and the Best Western are literally 2 minutes (walk) from one another.

1424IpA and Rau71 like this.
  13. hophead247

If I remember correctly, all the hotels on that street are close to one another. I stayed at the Motel 6 last year, and I believe it was the farthest from the event site...on that street that is. Still only took us a short 10 min walk to get there.

14. Well, tickets are sold out now.

mlaroche likes this.
  15. Just got off the phone with the Adelaide - they're sold out for Saturday night.

16. Just missed this. Anyone that has two tickets and wants to give them up, lemme know. I am willing to wheel and deal.

17. arash1000

arash1000 Aficionado (190) Arkansas Sep 26, 2012

I have to say I have friends in SLO that I can crash with but once I heard about the Adelaide bottle shares I booked my room. Got some epic stuff lined up to share with people. Hopefully everyone does the same. The Firestone beer festival last year was awesome, hopefully its as good this year.

18. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (480) California Nov 16, 2009

Tell me about it... You better have gotten your tickets!

19. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (480) California Nov 16, 2009

Damn, Adelaide and Best Western appear to be booked. I called Adelaide first, then was on the phone with the lady at BW for about half an hour trying to figure things out. Apparently the BW has rooms reserved for the event, but I couldn't qualify for those rooms because I wasn't wanting to stay Saturday AND Friday. Just looking to stay Saturday night. Only wanting a place to rest my head...nothing fancy. So anyways, ended up settling for Motel 6. Gonna be staying at my family's beach house in Cambria Friday and Sunday night if any BAs in that area wanna get together and share some bottles. :D

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  20. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

When contacting hotels to stay in if you mention you are going to the Firestone beer fest you might get a room. Firestone got a few blocks in a lot of local hotels for visiting people. Worth a shot if you are still looking.

21. TheRealPour

TheRealPour Advocate (505) Illinois Jan 29, 2009

Wife and I are staying at the Oaks. Looks to be a sub-10-minute walk from the gates on a map. Can anyone confirm whether or not it's easily walkable? Cheers! So looking forward to a great excuse for a few days in Cali to visit breweries and tiki bars!

22. hophead247

Staying at the Oaks as well...very short walk.

And we have a breakfast buffet at our place!!!

TheRealPour likes this.
  23. TheRealPour

Perhaps a bit OT, but coming from Chicago we're planning on hitting up as many 'first-tier' breweries between the Bay Area and LA as is possible over several days. Northern possibilities include Russian River (of course), Bear Republic, Lagunitas, 21st Amendment and North Coast. The Southern short list includes The Bruery and Hangar 24. Mid-state, of course, will include FW. Unfortunately time is too short to get down San Diego way or too far north of the Bay Area. Any glaring omissions here?

24. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (400) California May 19, 2006

North county SD is "only" 45 min or so south of The Bruery. If you're going to drive that far, you might as well hop down to SD too.

That said, have you looked at how long it actually is from the Bay Area (say North Coast) to The Bruery? Better bring your driving gloves. If you only have a few days, I'd say to just stick to one half of the state and save the other half for another trip.

drewone and TheRealPour like this.
  25. You're far better off to skip Hanger 24 (nice tasting room, avg beer) - use that 2 hours (round trip time) to visit the stellar SD/North SD breweries

TheRealPour likes this.
  26. Sante Adairius Rustic Ales-Capitola, CA.

westcoastbeerlvr and TheRealPour like this.
  27. TheRealPour

Nice add from what I can tell online. Definitely seems worth a stop from Paso Robles back north.

28. TheRealPour

Thanks for the tips as well Vanlingleipa and rrryanc...I know I'm stretching my luck seeing that we might only have 3 solid days aside from the FW fest to get around. Certainly not afraid to put some serious miles on the rental, though. My wife has a friend near Modesto who we might be visiting during the trip so we might end up doing 'Paso Robles and north' for this trip and plan another trip for as soon as we can possibly get back to head south. Honestly, FW and Russian River are the only stops that will make or break the trip (for me) at this point.

29. Most online nerds haven't even discovered how great this place is yet.

I like your idea of doing NorCal this trip and SoCal the next. Both have plenty to offer beer wise (especially San Diego obviously) but if you've only got 3 days, I'm afraid you're going to have to pick one or the other. It's a big state. Paso pretty much puts you dead center between the two as well. As was mentioned, North Coast is WAY up there. If you had a week to spend, I'd say go for it, but if you've only got 3 days I wouldn't go North of Bear Republic/Healdsburg. Personally, I would also pass on 21st Amendment, not that it isn't a nice place but there are far better options in SF.

30. drewone

drewone Champion (750) California Sep 18, 2006

Yeah, just go for north, hit up Toronado, beer revolution and the like in the Bay area - Lagunitas is a cool stop too, never been to drakes but that on my list. Relax, see some stuff just be side beers, the drive from paso to SF and north can be amazing if you have a little extra time. Have fun. Also you could easily arrange some IP trades of Chicago/midwest beers for socal beers and save yourself a lot of time and stress. :)

TheRealPour likes this.
  31. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

I don't know what magical time of day people are leaving the east Anaheim/Placentia area that puts north county "45 minutes" away and Hangar 24 a 2 hour roundtrip away, but please share :/.

If you're making the trek out to the Bruery, you could spend an entire day hitting local breweries (within maybe ten miles we have 4 soon to be 5 more breweries, only one of which is worth skipping). North county SD should easily be another day, then a morning trip to east county with a return trip to south county/SD proper later that day.

32. darnit....didn't even know about this, and likely wouldn't have mattered unless I was on their site in the 20 minutes it took to sell out. Next year I guess. :)

Any other events like this with super rare beers on tap?

33. I was rounding off that travel estimate to Hanger 24. It's actually takes more like 18 hours to get to Redlands and back. Thanks for semi-correcting this in your usual mild, non-snarky manner. O;-)

RedBeeron likes this.
  34. How many of you played cornhole @ Adelaide last year?
    -whales,bro

kristalynn and MarkIntihar like this.
  35. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Whales, bro.

36. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

It takes me 1-1.25 hours depending on typical weekend traffic. If you can carpool, it makes a big difference leaving OC until the lane ends around SJC. Only 60ish miles from Bruery to HWY 78 in Oceanside.

That said, there's no reason I'd waste my time hitting up Hangar 24.

37. RedBeeron

I finally mastered the art of emoticons. Makes a world of difference! :D

38. RedBeeron

The last three (I guess two since hammerhead had open preorders) have been fun and pretty mellow. Definitely no CITRA release fiascos. Though, as soon as I hit bronze in their FF program i'll be going less often.

San Diego traffic generally isn't as horrible as LA traffic, and easier to anticipate, but I've never been able to get to Stone in under an hour. Especially for out of towners that aren't necessarily used to how horrible SoCal traffic can be, lowballing doesn't do them any favors.

jtmartino likes this.
  39. thome50

thome50 Aficionado (215) California Dec 10, 2006

Just curious if anyone here was one of the "first 5" people to have purchased a ticket and got the special bonus FW mentioned in their email that just went out to everyone with tickets. Curious what that bonus could be. I'd still hope that there is a special bonus for those who bought pre-sale since the price wasn't different this year.

mlaroche and TheRealPour like this.
  40. I was up till Midnight on Thanksgiving refreshing the page till the tickets became available, and purchased right away (my confirmation email came in at 12:02am on Friday Nov. 23rd). That said, I'm certain I wasn't the only one doing that, so being one of the first 5 had to be difficult. Haven't received a special notification email, but if I do, I'll certainly share the news. If I don't, congrats in advance to those that do!

TheRealPour likes this.