Firestone Private Label Amber Ale

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by cavedave, Jan 11, 2013.

1. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Hey California BA's, this just hit here, pretty limited info, one old and very poor/unhelpful review -sorry if that person is reading this, heh heh-, some hads with even less helpful numbers next. Anyone try? Any good? Overall impressions? Is this fresh, or a hanging around the distro warehouse thing? Didn't know FW made Ambers. Well, never had a beer from them I didn't like/love. Anybody know anything? Thanks.

2. drgonzo2k2

drgonzo2k2 Savant (470) California Aug 24, 2012

Heya Dave,

FW contract brews for a number of places. There's an establishment not too far from my house that has 3 beers on tap under their own name, but all brewed by FW in Paso.

I've not tried their Amber, but a couple of the others, and they were decent. Here's something like I think you just had:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2210/52467

Cheers!

3. cavedave

Thanks, good info. That is probably the same beer with a diff. name. Didn't realize they contract brewed, but hey why not, when you can make money in between barrel projects brewing simple stuff, why not?

Anyone actually tried the amber recently?

4. They were private contracting for Lonestar but when Lonestar shutdown most of their locations in California FW decided to stop contract brewing their Amber. They still do the IPA & Honey Blonde for Lazy Dog Cafe on private label.

5. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Savant (260) California Dec 10, 2010

Yup Firestone contract brews out for quite a few restaurants. Claim Jumper's beers are like that. Their Honey Blonde Ale and their Red Ale are brewed by Firestone, says their right on the menu too, which is nice, they don't need to necessarily credit them but they do, which is the right thing to do.

6. Do they actually use a different recipe for each restaurant?

7. I don't think so, it's essentially a house line that any restaurant can buy and call whatever they want. I beleive the Bluepalms has their Hefe and IPA brewed by FW.

A place near me carries, what I beleive to be, the full house lineup, Honey Blonde, Hefe, Pale Ale, IPA, Amber, Brown, and Porter.
    http://draughtsrestaurant.com/craft-beers/

8. I believe FW also brews Trader Joe's Mission Street line of brews.

9. They do.

10. cavedave

We'll be sampling the Amber on Sunday as Ken, BA doomXsaloon, picked up a growler and we are brewing together Sunday. Thanks for all the info. Cheers!

11. We make Claim Jumper Hefe & Original Red Ale for them. We also brew for Lucille's, Wood Ranch, Lazy Dog, Kings Fish House, Outback, Original Roadhouse are all brewed by us for private labeling. Firestone is only private contracting IPA & Honey Blonde.

RobertV916 and pinkgrenade like this.
  12. Intriguing. Gonna have to check those out next time we shop for groceries

Off the top of my head, I know FW has also brewed for Yardhouse, Blue Palms, and Masa in Echo Park

13. dmoser

dmoser Aficionado (140) California Sep 11, 2009

14. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

This is most likely correct. At the Paso Taproom all of their old Nectar Ale's beers are still there but now listed as private label (Blank) IPA, Brown ale with hemp, amber, ect.

15. Firestone Walker sold Nectar Ales they have no affiliation with them anymore or ownership.

16. FW also makes a few beers for the Islands in Carlsbad. Their IPA and I believe a brown ale. The restaurant does not necessarily list the beer as FW but when I looked at the server with a BS look when they said it was their IPA, they said it was contracted by FW. Makes the Islands visit a bit more enjoyable.

17. Up here in OC the Islands are done by Karl Strauss hmmm interesting.