1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone Walker Anniversary Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by saxclar123, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Hey Everyone, I just managed to find FW XV and XVI the other day at my local bottle shop for a pretty good price. Having only tried the Union Jack and Double Jack from FW (both of which are winners in my book) should I wait a couple months to try some of the other Proprietors Reserve series when they come out to get a better understanding of their barrel aging program or just drink them now?

2. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (360) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

If you are out of beer, drink them now LOL

rmcnealy likes this.
  3. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

As for component beers, only Double DBA, Parabola and Abacus are bottled (with the exception of Double Jack that is). I'd say drink the XV now, since it's evened out a bit, and hold onto the XVI for a little bit longer.

4. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (320) California Feb 4, 2012

Wookey is in 16 I do believe. And, its a great beer on its own :)

5. Merkin is going in bottles this year, I believe.

6. Drink it bro

7. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (320) California Feb 4, 2012

Yes it is and I cant fucking wait! Its such a good beer.

8. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Yep! Merkin this year, and Stickee Monkee in 2014.

9. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

Go back and get two more to drink now.

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  10. RandyV

RandyV Aficionado (245) Arizona Aug 8, 2010

Had the XVI recently on tap, it was excellent. I "cellar" my Deschutes Abyss for a year, and it's worth the wait (although it is a test of willpower). But you really can't go wrong either way. Enjoy!

11. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

had a few XV 's in the last few months. Its mellowed now so its awesome.

XVI is not as good but I'm sure it will improve a bit ...i'd hold onto it for a year

So you know XV was hoppier (when fresh) and full on the front and the finish.
    XVI was much more like an English barleywine and a imp stout had a dirty thick malty baby...all boozey in the finish and very heavy on the palate.
    They are pretty different beers.

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  12. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

If they're a good price, get multiples. Drink some now and cellar the rest. They are excellent beers (especially the XVI), so I doubt you will regret the decision.

13. Drink them now.

14. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Firestone says to drink them now, I believe.

15. BigE90

BigE90 Aficionado (235) Washington Mar 19, 2011

Lovin' the XVI now! Best one fresh out of all the Anniversary series in my opinion.

16. Just because they are IMO the best fresh barrel aged beers on the planet doesn't mean they don't age masterfully as well. Definitely drink XV now and pray the glorious Double Jack influence is still present. Age the XVI IMO; the robust stouts overpower the Wooky Jack already so no loss there, and I believe/hope the unique spiciness from the tequila barrels comes out to play a little more.

17. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

They do age well, but are also fantastic out of the gate. I'd say if you've got only one of each, drink 'em and enjoy.

Those are great beers to commemorate an occasion of your choosing however...

18. I drank the 16 when hit first hit the shelves around here. It was slightly disappointing to me (too one-dimensional). However, if you've not had it before why not give it a go now.

19. Zuidman

Zuidman Savant (325) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

What's a good price? Found some today for $20. There are so many things I am waiting for soon and I
    have been buying a lot lately.

20. That's pretty standard pricing in SoCal.

21. havent they been bottlibg "merkin" under the name velvet merlin. mostly bc merkin wouldnt pass?

22. I believe Merkin is barrel aged, while Merlin is the regular version.

23. my understanding was that velvet merkin was their oatmeal stout that was limited to non existant in bottles about 4 years ago. when theyvmoved to bottles they changed it to velvet merlin bc merkin isnt the best term. but from what ive heard they use the name interchangably. now this is something i hqvnt looked into for a while so the names may have changed and there may be a dedicated name for the ba'ed version.
    now with the anniversary beers dont they ba pretty much all the beers being combined? weither or not they normally get that treatment?
    not trying to be extremely argumentative here but this is what i understood it as and things may have changed.

24. ok so a quick look on the fsw site shows merkin as its own seperate thing. im pretty sure last time i looked it wasnt there, and looking back at the XII anniversary beer i see that they have merkin listed as an inrediant but it specifies that its ba'ed meaning at the time it was just a normal stout.
    anyway seems cool to me! i would like to try the merkin. when i tried the revular merlin i enjoyed it but it was only about 85% of the way there. the barrel aging may give it the extra touch to make it world class

25. I have had both and all things considered I find them equal. I didn't find the barrel aged version better myself.