1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone Walker in ATX

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Walt, Jan 15, 2013.

1. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (195) Texas Nov 9, 2009

I didn't even get that. The bartender (and all other staff) seemed pretty confused about when to start pouring or what exactly was on tap. Bangers owes me some pint glasses!

2. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

We were at HomeField, not Bangers, and they were doing a "Buy the Beer, Keep the Glass" night.

3. BK1017

Ahh, got it. Was confused with all the replying in the thread.

4. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (315) Texas Oct 21, 2008

They were giving out glasses at Pinthouse last night too. I think Hi-Hat is giving out pints tonight when they have their event.

5. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

South Austin peeps: CM Westgate just got the same "teaser" drop of Double Jack, Union Jack, and DBA bottles that Hancock received on Tuesday.

6. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (335) Texas Jan 20, 2010

good to know, may be on the way there before specs then....

7. Phoenix2443

did they ever say which randalls?

8. Lutter

Now it's removed... so it might be a no go.

I'll be at Spec's if you wanna say hi, btw. Heading over in 15. Need a gyro more than beer right now, lol.

9. Lutter

Very well organized at Specs... they handed out tickets to purchase Sucaba, Parabola, or XVI. They had 24 of Sucaba/Parabola and 6 of the XVI. Unfortunately no Double DBA (they said they had issues with the TABC on that one). Everyone went home with a bottle, limit 1. XVI sold out immediately w/ the first 6 people practically. I went for Sucaba since I have Parabola from trading.

Sucaba was $15.99, btw.

Got a chance to talk to David Walker. Nice dude.

[​IMG]

Clonies720 and obrike like this.
  10. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

About a buck more than Bottleworks. Congrats on the score!

11. Lutter

I also talked to Mr. Walker about Bottleworks... he mentioned they're hoping to bottle their sours, but won't release them until they're up to what he feels are the right level of standards.

Said we might see some Bottleworks stuff on tap (maybe) this year. He said the first thing we'd see is probably their saison.

Oh. And he signed my Sucaba box.

12. bccocx

bccocx Advocate (710) Texas Jan 13, 2007

I think I was standing next to you for a few minutes. I had the green polo on.

Nice lunch break today! Got a Parabola

13. Lutter

LOL. That was me!

bccocx likes this.
  14. DanzBorin

I was talking about Seattle Bottleworks. Did FW make beers for them or are we on different pages? lol

15. Lutter

Oh, duh... BARRELWORKS. LOL.

16. BK1017

Well that sucks balls. I thought they were doing a "raffle" with a chance to purchase one of these beers, not simply first come first serve. Lame. From Twitter:

Spec's Beer Dept@Specs_Beer_Dept
    The beers are Parabola, 16th Anny and Sucuba. We have very limited amounts of each. If your ticket is drawn you will have access to buy.

Spec's Beer Dept@Specs_Beer_Dept
    .@bestieverchad @bk1017 don't have to be there the whole 2 hours. As long as you get there an enter you name into the drawing before 4.

Glad everyone got some goodness though.
    BK

17. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (315) Texas Oct 21, 2008

There may still be some Parabola or Sucaba left. It really wasn't that large of a crowd at 2:00.

18. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (475) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Nice thing about new brewery rollouts is the only people who get excited are the uber beer nerds like us.

icetrauma likes this.
  19. Lutter

Yeah, there's definitely some left right now.

Also: zero hipsters were there.

icetrauma and Clonies720 like this.
  20. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I left a few minutes before 3 and there was a few Parabola and several Sucaba left. Looked like the Parabola was going faster from what I could see...there wasn't really anybody else paying much attention to the FW display so might be a few left if you hurry.

21. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Savant (370) Texas Nov 7, 2011

I was under the impression it was a lottery type system for those bottles at Specs as well. I wasn't aware it was first come first serve. I really want one of those damn Parabolas. Anybody want to trade for one if they have extra?

Are Parabola and Sucaba both $15.99?

Also, is Austin supposed to get more bottles after a month or so? I've never really seen anything confirmed as to what exactly we will see once distribution makes it to more stores.

22. lokieman

I went there to enter the raffle and saw some people walking out with bottles and though I was outta luck. Strolled back there and a guy was standing there next to a box with Sucaba and Parabola...told me 1 per. I consider myself very lucky....according to this guy that was all the Parabola in Austin.

ThirdEyePA likes this.
  23. ThirdEyePA

So 1 bottle of either Sucaba or Parabola? Not 1 of each, right?

I'd hit the road right now if I could secure a bottle of Parabola, but I would be shocked if it lasted another hour and a half.

24. lokieman

Yea...1 bottle total

25. kmello69

Well had I known I could just walk in the door and get one, I would have gone. Thought it was supposed to be a raffle. Damn. Oh well. Hey, gopickoneupformebro?

26. ThirdEyePA

Damn, looks like I'm just going to have to trade for this unless it pops up again.

27. Lutter

Wookey Jack should be in next week according to the Spec's rep that was there.

I really needed my girlfriend to mule for me with the 1PP rule.

Gonna hit up Whole Foods at 4:30 and report from there as well. More Sucaba, plz! Kinda wish I could've gotten more Parabola, but oh well! At least It's easy to trade for. :). You give me a choice between that and Parabola though... Sucaba all day.

ThirdEyePA likes this.
  28. ThirdEyePA

Nice @ Wookey Jack!

I've never had Parabola or Sucaba, but I'm VERY anxious to try both.

29. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

Want Wookey Jack bottle. The last bottle I had fell out of my fridge and smashed on the kitchen floor. I wanted to slurp it up glass shards and all.

The glass I had last night was so fresh an wonderful. I should have had another.

I panicked at Specs and got a Parabola instead of a Sucaba...Forgot I aldreay ahd a 2012 Parabla and Sucaba..but don't have a 2013 Sucaba...damnit

30. lokieman

I have to disagree with Lutter...I'd take Parabola all day any day. But Sucaba is my favorite ba barleywine that I've ever had so can't lose either way. I've also got a really soft spot for ba stouts....

31. Phoenix2443

Didn't see this til now I was there but since I was heading in to work I had to keep it short. Got a 16 and had walker sign the box

32. Lutter

Uh, if you saw my trades lately... you'd understand why I don't need any more BA stouts. LOL. :) I just got more 2012 Parabola, Schafly BA Imperial Stout, Backwoods Bastard, and BCBCS in the mail today. Well stocked. :)

A few of those will show up at the Austin BA share at the beginning of March.

ThirdEyePA likes this.
  33. lokieman

Yea I've definitely been stout heavy lately as well...got more on the way right now and more lined up for trades coming up in the next few weeks. I think I have a problem....

34. kmello69

If you dont want that Parabola, buddy, I'd be happy to help you out. :cool:

35. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (220) Texas Dec 22, 2011

Rejoice Houston...David Walker just told me they will be there sometime this summer.

36. tigrstylz

tigrstylz Aficionado (215) Texas Jan 10, 2012

Sucaba bottle or 1/2 growler pour @ whole foods

37. DanzBorin

Backwoods Bastard is no stout.

38. Lutter

You guys are really gonna hate me.

Sucaba, 32oz growler Wookey Jack, Sucaba

[​IMG]

I'm at the barstool closest the cash register in the Hawaiian shirt.

JJFoodie and ThirdEyePA like this.
  39. DanzBorin

a second Sucaba... Nice!

40. ThirdEyePA

I'd post that shit too if I were you.