Firestone Walker in ATX

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Walt, Jan 15, 2013.

1. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (345) Texas Oct 21, 2008

Any idea how many bottles of Sucaba they have?

2. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Savant (300) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Lutter am I too late to head down to the WFM? It's 5:30 and I don't think I wanna head down there with the damn traffic right now... I might just wait and go down to the Draught House at 7.

3. tsatem

tsatem Aficionado (180) Texas Dec 8, 2010

They had two cases, don't know how much has gone but I saw a lot of people buying it.

4. acbe

acbe Savant (300) Texas Jul 23, 2011

I got to WFM at 4:30 and all the people seated at the bar seemed to have FW Boxes on the bar in front of them. Pretty good turnout for a weekday afternoon in the back of a grocery store.

5. bccocx

bccocx Champion (785) Texas Jan 13, 2007

They had 4 left at 530. I left and have no idea how much is left. You can probably still get a growler fill

6. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

The only tap I saw blow was Union Jack ... pretty sure you could still get a 32oz growler of Sucaba.

Bottles of Sucaba ran out around 545pm.

7. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Rumor was in the 3rd quarter. Good news is, on Twitter, FW posted a pic of 8 new fermentars on their way from Deutschland.

Edit...at least we don't have to wait till the end of the year like Ballast Point. FW doing it right.

8. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (610) Texas Nov 27, 2011

You guys don't have Ballast yet? It's just sitting here getting dusty now. The frenzy certainly died down

9. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

We do but BP waited almost a year before they came to Houston. IIRC

10. kmello69

Ah, OK, I see. I talked to a FW rep last night, and was told that they picked Austin to start with because they felt that Austin was the most "forward thinking" (her words) city in Texas, and also has the best craft-beer culture, so this is where they wanted to be first. But it will be a short window between roll-outs, at least!

11. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Savant (380) Texas Nov 7, 2011

I was able to secure 2 bottles of Sucaba, and a friend of mine was going to pick up a Parabola for me but missed out by about 3 minutes. The last one was handed out right in front of him. But I'm pretty stoked about the 2 bottles of Sucaba.

12. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Because they are overrated. Sculpin has a one month shelf life. After that its funky.

13. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Savant (300) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Welp I just came back from the Draught House, awesome release... got myself a 64 ouncer of Union Jack after I tried almost every one of their beers. Good night overall...

14. mindswoop

mindswoop Savant (255) Texas Dec 22, 2011

Other notes from the FW crew today...they are expanding their barrelworks (sours) program. We will definitely be getting all their one offs (Parabola, DDBA, etc.). Breweries they are visiting while in town: JK, ABW, and Live Oak...really interested in Hops and Grain as well.

15. utx05

utx05 Disciple (60) Dec 11, 2012

Will Austin get any more sucaba?

16. Lutter

If it doesn't show up somewhere tomorrow, I wouldn't expect to see it.... but never say never?

17. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Savant (280) Texas Apr 12, 2012

I got to meet the new (soon to be) local Firestone Walker rep, a young man named Cole, at Red's Porch this evening. I also got to try Wookey Jack. Tasty!

18. Lutter

Yeah. From everything they were telling me, they're launching Texas right. At least in Austin, they've got people from Cali moving to ATX to oversee their brand (I think that was Cole, mentioned above, didn't catch his name), they seemed committed to get special releases on the shelf, and want to bring their complete catalog.

BTW: Velvet Merlin was great. Definitely gonna be buying a lot of 6-packs of that when it shows up here. That's one I'd never had before this week. Honestly, I'd only traded for their crazy barrel-aged beer in the past, but everything I had from their catalog was excellent. Union Jack was a complete surprise for me.

ThirdEyePA and icetrauma like this.
  19. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (345) Texas Oct 21, 2008

How much was a 32oz growler of Sucaba at WF?

20. Compton25

Compton25 Savant (355) Texas Jan 25, 2011

If anyone missed out on Sucuba bottles, I just picked some up on beership.com. They do ship to Texas.. and for me the shipping was lot cheaper than gas trying to track some down. Hope this helps!

21. Lutter

$16.

Really cheap. Caveat: you could either get a bottle or growler... not both.

Debating going to HEB Circle C at 2:30pm to see if I can make a three-peat on Sucaba. It really doesn't help that all this stuff is going on within 5 miles of my house.

22. bccocx

I'm not sure if you talked to David Walker, but he was not pleased that they were doing growler fills of Sucaba.

23. Lutter

I heard Pinthouse was doing 32oz growlers of Sucaba for $30.... that must've REALLY displeased him, lol.

Why was he mad about growler fills? I talked with him only for 2 seconds at Whole Foods.

24. bccocx

He was mad because the beer doesn't last long in a growler (24-48 hours max). He basically said that 32 oz. is way too much for one person to enjoy and that it would lose quality quickly. He also mentioned that he is blown away that people drink an entire bottle of the stuff by themselves. I think he would have preferred that WF only sell the 10 oz amount so more people could get the opportunity to enjoy it.

25. Lutter

He's right about it being too much for 1 person to drink in a sitting... I save beers that are 12%+ ABV until I have at least another friend (if not 2) around or at least space it out over a while. WFM uses ... not the highest quality ...growlers too (standard low grade screw top). My ABW stainless growler is pretty damn airtight though with its' locking top.

26. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (485) Texas Jul 1, 2009

Can't wait for them to roll out this stuff in Dallas next month. Hopefully we get everything you Austin hippies got. :)

JJFoodie likes this.
  27. bccocx

Yeah their growlers really aren't great. I got a growler of Wookey Jack and it was definitely leaking the whole way home. I split it with a couple of friends. I can't wait to buy some of that in bottles!

28. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (485) Texas Jul 1, 2009

Speaking of growlers. I had a growler of Live Oak Hefe I bought and then got sick and couldn't drink for a week or so and it ended up being in my fridge for a month. When I opened it I fulled expected it to be flat but it was still fully carbed and tasted delicious. I think a lot of people have unwarranted fears of growlers. If it's a quality growler it should last for months if you don't mess with it.

JJFoodie, JCDenver and wagenvolks like this.
  29. Are they supposed to have bottles of Sucaba? That HEB is 20 seconds from my house. Would like to go grab one if they are.

30. Lutter

Pure speculation... but they're 2 for 2 this far on having Sucaba at store launches.

31. Well keep us informed if you go you damn third shifter

32. Lutter

Hahaha... I'll be sure to report in if I do go. Might just go to sleep though. :)

33. kmello69

If anyone in N.Austin/RR is looking for the "teaser bottles" Specs Round Rock has all 3 as of today, but very limited. I picked up these 2 - $3.99 for the DBA, and $7.99 for the Double Jack

[​IMG]

Love to see this bottling date on the Double Jack - that one is going in my belly tonight, for optimal freshness!

[​IMG]

bccocx likes this.
  34. Lutter

Ahem... Brown just replied to someone on Twitter that asked about bottles at HEB Circle C and they WILL have Sucaba (no Parabola/XVI, sorry!)

I'm a bit too sleepy for the hunt today and have some things I need to get done around the house... but enjoy the hunt! (god, I'm really inclined to go though, lol)

35. Better not tell him about the night I had a bottle of Abacus.

And Parabola.

bccocx likes this.
  36. If anyone wants to hook a Houstonian up, I'll be in Austin in a couple weeks for my 9th plate party - you'd be invited and the beers are on me, of course.

37. Thanks for the update! Hopefully they will still have some when I get off work.

38. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (400) Texas Jan 20, 2010

debating on picking up another bottle there but again I'm not feeling motivated at this time.

39. kunstdrache

kunstdrache Savant (255) Texas Sep 22, 2006

Come on guys- I was the only guy there at HEB, David Walker is waiting for y'all. Was easily 6-8 bottles of sucba left when I took off.

Phoenix2443 likes this.
  40. kmello69

If it wasnt so darn far away from me, I definitely would have gone. Someone wants to get me 1, though, I'll be forever grateful. :D