1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone Walker in DFW

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by UtisTheLaw, Mar 6, 2013.

1. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Savant (405) Texas Jul 26, 2012

My most recent information still has FW hititng the area on March 18th, but I have not heard of any specific events yet. I've heard we should be getting DBA, Double Jack, and Union Jack, but probably nothing on the more limited side to start out the market. If anyone has more information, please feel free to add it.

2. jsboots21

jsboots21 Savant (280) Tennessee Jan 19, 2009

Common Table is advertising an event that night. Tapping at 5:30. Items are DBA, Double Jack, Pivo Pils, Wookey Jack, Sucaba, Velvet Merlin, etc. David Walker and other brewery personnel will be there.

https://www.facebook.com/events/313147432121325/?ref=22

See you there.

3. UtisTheLaw

Thanks for the info. I'll be there.

4. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Dammit ill be in Dallas but at Trees for the Revival Tour. Maybe I can swig by before. Ill pound that Abacus (sorry screw the name change)

5. jsboots21

Come on, roll with the changes!

air likes this.
  6. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Noah is stirring the pot... I believe he enjoys the comedy of it all, as do I. "Damn the man! Save the empire!"

Was there a reason for the name change? My FSW knowledge is lacking. In fact maybe my knowledge is lacking...

Brvn likes this.
  7. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

A winery sent them a cease and desist because they had a wine named Abacus.

8. jsboots21

Ah, the similarities between wine and beer.

9. mattisloco

I'm tired of these cease and desist letters... Because of this winery I will never drink wine again!

No wine... no sixpoint... no mother effing BMC (I'm on a caffeine overload right now)

JJFoodie and jsboots21 like this.
  10. UtisTheLaw

I'm also guessing we won't see you at Common Table, given your respect for their high quality service.

11. mattisloco

Oh.... now you're asking for it.

I've been back. I actually, sadly, had another bad experience the next time I went. However, I went after the Avery Breakfast/Brunch event they had last year and I had a wonderful time. I have no further issues TCT, I just found my beer home else where. I appreciate what they do for craft in DFW, however my review stands because it happened.

12. I have actually passed on going to the Common Table and went to another beer bar due to your review. Bad service ruins my whole night.

13. mattisloco

It's an old review and I don't think anyone should pass on giving them a try. I took you to the places I prefer, Strangeways and Craft and Growler, you might prefer TCT though.

air and jsboots21 like this.
  14. ehsteve

ehsteve Aficionado (225) Texas Jan 13, 2009

Haven't been to the Common Table yet. This looks like a pretty excellent reason to go.

jsboots21 likes this.
  15. air

air Savant (360) Texas Mar 28, 2007

The only times I've gotten bad service there are when it is ridiculously crowded.

And on the flip side I always feel massive apprehension about going to Strangeways. The vibe and service there is no different than blindly throwing darts. Experience there is never the same and I'm not convinced to be a regular there, even if that is the closest beer bar to where I live.

puddledynamics likes this.
  16. jsboots21

I'm in the middle here. I have had nothing but positive experiences at Strangeways, and I've had plenty of poor experiences (all service related) at The Common Table.

I continue to go to both, but I constantly hope that TCT's floor service will improve. Their bartenders are fantastic, but wait(ers)/(resses) are pretty consistently disappointing.

17. Remember the tokio mispour! The stout into the sculpin....oh yeah the sculpin fiasco on the patio. I still go though.

18. mattisloco

Strangeways is strange and it's not for everyone. It's a "family run" place, family and friends of the family really. I mean the owners mom is the cook, and my God Mrs Sanchez can cook. In my opinion, regulars are always their priority. If you're not a regular and you're there on an off night sit at the bar, otherwise you are your own waiter/waitress. They don't advertise what's on tap very often, I think it's because they don't want the crowd coming for just "that beer" and running off people like me who are not fans of the overcrowded venues. All my opinion, I've never heard that directly out of anyones mouth that works there.

Times when there is usually just one bartender are Sunday - Thursday. Tuesday is always Annelle's night to work, Wednesdays is almost always Eric and Thursday is Jose. If you want to be in a full crowd and all that comes with it go on a Friday or Saturday night. If your not in the mood for beer, or you're with someone that doesn't, I highly recommend having Jose make you a Jalapeno Margarita.

If anyone wants to ever get a beer here I'll be more than happy to show you the Strangeways I love, seriously just BM me... I'm not the asshole some portray me to be.

/off topic Matt

1 week til FSW in DFW... Yippie Yahoo... where's the Prairie at?

JJFoodie likes this.
  19. air

air Savant (360) Texas Mar 28, 2007

Goes to say that regulars are always the priority at any bar (I am first name basis with nearly everyone that works at TCT).

Strangeways sometimes feels like nobody is getting helped whether or not they are regulars and I have mostly gone there on Friday nights the past few times I have tried. I did like that it isn't ridiculously crowded compared to the other beer bars for a Friday, but the service was also nonexistent. The bar staff feels like they are skating that grey area between being lax with good knowledge vs Toronado-level attitude. I faced the latter the one time I dare asked for a sample there...

20. UtisTheLaw

jsboots21 likes this.
  21. jsboots21

Thanks for sharing. Guessing David Walker won't be there as it wasn't specifically mentioned in the event...?

22. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I'll believe it when I see it... ;)

I keed :D

mattisloco likes this.
  23. Techichi

Techichi Advocate (540) Texas Sep 25, 2012

Nothing in Fort Worth? I'll get a chance to call around later, but I thought I'd ask.

24. UtisTheLaw

25. lonestarbev

lonestarbev Aficionado (230) Texas Oct 18, 2006

if you really want to avoid the crowds and just want to buy the beer. word on the street is that we'll be getting a delivery monday of FW!

Rick

air and jgreeson like this.
  26. mattisloco

Strangeways will have 9 taps flowing with FSW on 3/18 also. To calm all your worries and speculation... ┬žucaba (Abacus) will be on tap!

This is where I'll be popping my Firestone in DFW cherry.

27. jsboots21

Any word on when this begins, Matt?

28. mattisloco

I'd guess everything will be ready by 5pm... might even be ready to go right when they open. I plan on getting there at 4:30ish, if the wife wants to go then it'll be more like 5:15.

29. mattisloco

They just put on facebook that it'll start at 4pm... right when they open!

jsboots21 likes this.
  30. H0rnedFr0gs

Strangeways is a bit closer to Trees...I may have time before the concert for a pint or two of this

31. UtisTheLaw

Apparently everyone decided they wanted to finally announce their launches for FW.

World of Beer - SMU Blvd
    Mark your calendars! This Tuesday (March 19th) we are having a Firestone Walker Brewing night! The guys from the brewery will be in house! We will have on draft: DBA, Pale 31, Union Jack, Sucuba, and Pibo Pilsners. Get Pumped!

32. jsboots21

They're so excited and honored, they made sure to spell every beer's name correctly.

air likes this.
  33. mattisloco

Let me know.

34. RustyP

RustyP Savant (340) Texas Dec 22, 2008

If you're there until 830ish (who am I kidding? of course you'll still be there!) I'll be seeing you!

mattisloco likes this.
  35. bunni

bunni Disciple (70) Texas Feb 3, 2011

Flying Saucer Ft. Worth will be tapping Firestone on the 20th, and from what I'm told, David Walker will be attending.

Getting Goose Island and Firestone Walker in DFW in the same year is truly a Festivus for the rest of us.

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  36. mattisloco

If I get there at 5ish I would highly doubt I'll still be there. If I'm still there I hold you personally responsible for kicking my ass out and getting me a cab! ;)

37. There will be a keg of Firestone Walker at the Bluebonnet Brewoff. I guess that it will be the first event in Texas to showcase Firestone Walker

mattisloco likes this.
  38. H0rnedFr0gs

Damn word spreads quick! I will be for sure working this day at the Saucer. Say hi

39. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Savant (425) Texas Aug 3, 2011

How much Sucaba and Anniversary will be hitting shelves ?

40. H0rnedFr0gs

Not a lot and probably very very little will make it to DFW. I will ask next time I see the Andrews guys

EDIT: They seemed very excited and it was commented to me that Ballast Point represented a big change in Andrews thinking and they are beginning to understand the scope and scale of FW on the Texas market.