1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone Walker opens Barrelworks in Buellton, CA

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Jan 16, 2013.

1. 2GOOFY

2GOOFY Savant (345) California Aug 19, 2012

Went there today. Barrell Aged Anderson Pea Soup Stout. Or not.
  2. But is it aged in bourbon barrels? Pappy or bust, I say!
  3. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

4. JBogan

JBogan Savant (445) Nevada Jul 15, 2007

At the very end of the article is says Barrelworks is only open Saturdays and Sundays. Everything else I've heard or read says it's also open on Fridays. Anybody here know for sure which is correct?
  5. JBogan

Ok, the author of the article has confirmed that Barrelworks IS open on Fridays and will make the correction. Looking forward to a visit in a few weeks.
  6. Sam_Frank

finally made it up here this weekend. this place is a wet dream. i'll definitely be taking some romantic trips to Solvang with my girlfriend just so i can go here (it would be worth suffering through)

got to meet Jeffers Richardson too. cool guy

the restaurant / pub that it's attached to is really nice too. i wish they'd open one in LA
  7. Sam_Frank

couple pics for your viewing pleasure

[​IMG]

parabola
    [​IMG]
    BeerBum, Wilb, SageO and 1 other person like this.
  8. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (385) California Nov 7, 2011

^^ Thanks for posting. Those chandeliers are a nice touch. Did you taste any sour beers ?
  9. BeersNBars

BeersNBars Disciple (55) California Mar 17, 2012

Time to go to Solvang & Firestone Walker and Figueroa Mountain just hop skip & jump away from Los Angeles
  10. This place sounds amazing but according to their website (which was updated on the 7th) there are 12 beers on now, all of which except one have seen distribution, only four of them are barrel aged and none of them are sour. Is this just an off day or not an accurate list? I would consider driving four hours one way to this place because it looks and sounds awesome, but not for beers that I can get pretty easily throughout the year.
  11. bird22

bird22 Savant (405) California Jan 2, 2011

That is the tap list for the brewery/restaurant. Barrelworks is attached to it, but has its own separate room/bar. I was there two weeks ago and here is what I had -- Rufus w/ Brett, Bretta Weisse, Barrel #66 (Double DBA aged for 4 years), Barrel #22(dry stout aged 3 years in Old Fitz barrels), PNC (imperial buckwheat stout), and Helldorado (blonde barleywine). Of course they had Parabola and Sucaba on as well. May have had one or two more beers on tap as well, but I didn't try them. Unfortunately they were out of Sour Opal and SLOambic when I was there.
  12. Thanks for clearing that up. I knew something didn't seem right. I think I found the right list:

http://www.firestonebeer.com/barrelworks/on-tap.php
  13. bird22

bird22 Savant (405) California Jan 2, 2011

Yep, that was the list they had when I was there -- except they were out of Sour Opal, Lil' Opal, and Stickee Monkee.
  14. Sam_Frank

same for me.

here's a crappy pic of their list. you can open in new window and see bigger

[​IMG]
  15. Sam_Frank

i had a "BrettaWeiss". i'm not a huge sour guy but i'm becoming more open to them. it was nice
  16. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

I drove right by it yesterday traveling home from a Paso Robles wine trip. I flunked the intelligence test by not making time to stop. :(
  17. Damn those are good prices for barrel aged tasters.
  18. JBogan

I visited Barrelworks a few weeks ago, and it was as mentioned earlier. Out of Sour Opal, Lil' Opal and Stickee Monkee. However the other beers were good to excellent. The person working the bar mentioned that they might scale the number of taps at Barrelworks back a bit.

I also had lunch in the "regular" taproom and picked up a jar of the Firestone DBA Mustard, along with a nice T-Shirt from Barrelworks. Overall if you're passing anywhere near Buellton it's definitely worth a stop.