1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone Walker - Parabola 2014

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by DaltonC, Mar 2, 2014.

1. DaltonC

DaltonC Savant (310) Idaho Oct 10, 2013

Firestone Walker Parabola 2014 is almost upon us, with the brewery release slated for Saturday, March 8. Distribution across the country will begin on Monday, March 10, so expect to see this in your market in the coming weeks (typically this varies wildly depending on your location) after the initial ship date.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

“This year’s Parabola release was aged in an array of barrels from a number of Bourbon producers which held great spirits like Woodford Reserve, Elijah Craig, Buffalo Trace and Four Roses. This year’s Parabola is a massive beer with bold barrel derived character and yet it is the smoothest, most integrated release to date. I never thought of our brewery as a stout house, but this beer makes me smile. The brew team and I are very happy with the results of the barrel aging program; 2014 is going to be a very good year across all of our Proprietor’s Reserve Vintage Series!”

2. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Yeeesssss!

3. shoretaxi

shoretaxi Savant (355) New Jersey Jan 3, 2014

Can't Wait !

4. readyski

readyski Savant (265) California Jun 4, 2005

key words "varies wildly" but that's part of the fun, isn't it

TonyJ815 likes this.
  5. Matthew1788

Matthew1788 Savant (440) Ohio Feb 23, 2013

Damn! I wish we got anything from Firestone in Ohio. I will try Parabola one day, one day.....

doldham, Furlinator and MarcWP like this.
  6. I hope I can get my hands on a few bottles. Sucaba never came to New Hampshire this year. Love how Firestone barrel ages beers, they are so good at it.

7. lakeylake

lakeylake Savant (250) California Oct 29, 2013

But, but I just blew my beer budget on Sucaba...

*increases beer budget, decreases so-called living necessities budget*

8. elkevo

elkevo Aficionado (205) Ohio Dec 14, 2013

Me too

9. Can't wait!

10. jdhowe

jdhowe Savant (390) California Mar 18, 2013

my budget knew this hit was coming and somehow still isn't ready for it. Stoked to see how this year's vintage is, though.

11. Donco

Donco Savant (455) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

"Fun" is such a subjective term...;)

12. Donco

Donco Savant (455) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

BTW: Anyone out in CA who I would assume has better "access" to a couple of bottles of this and is interested in a trade for some (anticipated) KBS, please message me.

13. Still got 4 bottles of the 2013 left!

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  14. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (395) New York Oct 31, 2013

Another ruse on what is considered great beer. Bourbon does not make beer better

15. You picked the wrong beer to make such an arrogant statement.

16. Shamb

Shamb Savant (265) California Jan 13, 2014

I've got bottles lined up from a friend that lives within 15-20 min from the brewery. Anyone who states bourban barrel aging doesn't contrive to this beer either hasn't tried it or drinks bud light all day long and thinks it's the "best beer out there"

17. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

Harnkus I hope you have never had this beer because if you have and didn't like it I hear by take away your status as an Advocate for beer. Ratebeer has an open spot for you.

18. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (650) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

We're still waiting on Sucaba in VA. Certainly looking forward to this as usual. Their barrel process for this year sounds awesome!

Hoptimus-Prime and myron317 like this.
  19. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Savant (435) Michigan Apr 6, 2011

Sexy time! Just got 4 Sucaba. Will be getting 4 Parabola. Yum.

end_27 likes this.
  20. 14%?! I thought the 2013 version was way too boozy, even for 13%. I can't imagine how harshly alcoholic the new batch would be.

kerry4porters and FarmerTed like this.
  21. Call me crazy but I love the strong taste of bourbon in BA beers.Should have it here soon :)

Catracho5, ohiobeer29 and krustster like this.
  22. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Savant (425) Texas Aug 3, 2011

So are they producing half as much as usual. I noticed 3500 cases, and now all cases are 6 bottles, not to mention the increased distribution and demand. this one will be tough to get a hold of.

23. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (395) New York Oct 31, 2013

Had it.

24. No one said it does. It does however make it tastier to the vast majority of users on this site.

Boca-X and musicman7070 like this.
  25. Imperial stouts = awesome. Bourbon = awesome. Bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts = freaking awesome. :)

26. LOL props for not taking the low road by calling him out on 'hear by'.

Furlinator, Givemebeer and BrettHead like this.
  27. Harnkus must be trolling. This is one of my fav firestone releases.

alex_hart likes this.
  28. Sadly for FW, I bought 2 cases of BCBS this year (total humble-brag BRO) and still have exactly 2 Parabolas from the last 4 years they've been bottling. ;-P maybe I buy one...

Just stirring the pot some...

Cheers!!

2beerdogs likes this.
  29. MarcWP

MarcWP Savant (460) Arizona Dec 2, 2012

All I know is, I can't wait to get me some Stickee Monkee after doing away with that Velvet Merkin ;)

30. I need some help with this one. BM me if you're in need of those dank OH ipas....juju, rajah, bodhi, headunter.

alex_hart and kristougher like this.
  31. Jmitchell3

Jmitchell3 Savant (405) Arizona Apr 2, 2013

yeah, well, i've never had parabola. hoping to land a bottle or two this time around :)

32. me

alex_hart likes this.
  33. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (550) California Aug 13, 2011

I noticed that as well, 6 bottle "case"?. I thought maybe some Sucaba barrels got infected or those were some gift pack type things but they are actually calling those cases?

My guess is they are trying to make room for Stickee Monkeys big bottle debut by decreasing sucaba by 50% and perhaps some others. I did notice that sucaba has been on draft around my parts quite a bit, so maybe they are just switching it up a little for sitckee monkee's first run.

Though i'd much rather see 12-bottle, 3,500 case production from these beers, not half.

34. Shouldn't have drank it yet

alex_hart likes this.
  35. Al
    Always been is cases of six

albertq17 and 1424IpA like this.
  36. So basically... Goose Island, Stone, Firestone, Founders, Lost Abbey, Avery and all them other guys have NO idea what they're doing?

37. raynmoon

false

Pelican5 likes this.
  38. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (405) California Nov 2, 2012

they are boxed in 12 per case, the limit one can purchase at brewery is 6 per person. 3500 cases is their standard amount of porabola, they didnt make any less than they did last year. firestone has expanded and expanded again, their compound now takes up the whole block (canning line, new kegging line, barrel room, storage etc)

DWheeler379 likes this.
  39. raynmoon

Maybe they are calling them "cases" now but are still making the same exact amount, just trying to get more bottles to more markets. So more like 7,000 "cases".

40. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (405) California Nov 2, 2012

thats what i said...^^^same amount, same bottle count, same bottle size. i will be buying them by the "case" either way.