1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone Walker - Parabola 2014

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by DaltonC, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (385) New York Oct 31, 2013

Love bourbon. It's just my personal opinion that beer consumers have been easily led down this path that is lining the pockets of brewers with beer that is so overly enhanced (distracted) that it's covering up the mess that lies beneath, which is rarely a thing of deft composure. Much like many other American phenomenons. Do I imbibe? Of course, but not foolishly with open arms of hype and disillusionment
  2. nophunk

nophunk Aficionado (230) Louisiana Nov 27, 2011

I feel like you're trying to convince yourself that you really believe this. Do I love Ten Fidy? Hell yes. Do I love Parabola? Hell yes. They each have a spot in my cellar. If you NEVER enjoy the subtle oak/vanilla/bourbon notes that a barrel can give, well that's your loss IMO of course. Do you not like oak aged sours? Would those beers be just as good (unique) aged in stainless? Most of them would not be, once again IMO of course.
    beerhan likes this.
  3. Harnkus

I have yet to try a subtle BB aged beer. I like wood mind you, I just really believe that to some degree the joke is on beer hunters with respect to "manly" bourbon angle
  4. It's really hard not to take offense at this. After all, you're essentially calling people like me gullible, ignorant, and stupid for liking these beers and seeking them out, having been blindly convinced that they like BB-aged beers based not on their subjective tastes, but rather on hype and marketing. You're also saying that all BB-aged beers essentially are the same, with the bourbon masking the inferior beer. Yeah, on second thought, this is pretty offensive.
    patkorn and m34josh like this.
  5. Should you still need help acquiring this, i may be of assistance though the place I know of is running low. Despite being a rookie here. I am a LONG time lurker
  6. Boca-X

Boca-X Advocate (570) Missouri Jan 21, 2014

Agreed...why do people always speak with their personal taste instead of their intelligent brain? Oh...I think I just answered my own question.
    m34josh likes this.
  7. If I like it, I like it. Is it really harder to grasp than that? They can fool me all they want.

I love Parabola. I would rank it as my personal #1.
    caponeduke likes this.
  8. fishmich

fishmich Savant (490) Michigan Apr 11, 2013

damn i got tricked into thinking something tasted good? dammit im always liking stuff and then realizing i shouldnt like it. maybe i dont even like craft beer at all?

FT: 300 beers from my cellar i thought i liked but i really dont actually like ISO: Hamms and Limarita
    m34josh, Harnkus and 2beerdogs like this.
  9. dpische

dpische Zealot (90) Illinois Mar 5, 2014

Time to stock up. Any thoughts on drinking fresh vs. aging?
  10. I too, have the same question as I have 3 sucabas stored (1 in the bar in the kitchen) & 2 others in the hallway cabinet

Though I doubt this is the proper process of aging beers, i much rather not have it sit in the fridge for so long.

I'll be sure to get Plenty of these, that I'm certain of.
  11. ASak10

ASak10 Savant (320) Colorado Jan 2, 2014

I'm certainly no aging expert. But the general answer you'll get to that question is drink one fresh for sure, then decide if you want to age. However, keeping it in the fridge won't really be aging it, since it's too cold to really allow any of the aging to happen. Or so people say.
  12. Harnkus

You should find it offensive, that is if you care what I think. If you don't care then at a minimum you can appreciate a diverging point of view. Your precious beers are cloaked with clobber
  13. That's akin to saying that the first people to add the Pilsner process, or using different malts/hops, to beer were "cloaking them with clobber" instead of letting the traditional brewing method shine through. Your statement is irrelevant. It's just a different way of preparation that you feel destroys the "true," whatever the hell that means, taste of beer.
    illeagle05 and dcbullet like this.
  14. that's what I normally do

to reiterate my statement: I will have 2 aging in the hallway cabinet sitting vertically whereas the third will be in the kitchen bar set vertically as well (non refrigerated for all three)
  15. Harnkus

It's nothing like that at all
  16. FYI -- on the back of the box of Parabola and Sucaba, it states that the recommended temperature for aging is 45° F.
  17. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Savant (425) Texas Aug 3, 2011

I still think they're all overpriced, will I buy them...yes. With that said I've been getting into burboun more and find it crazy that a beer aged 1 year in a used barrel costs more than some 90 proof burbouns aged for up to 12 years !!!
  18. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Savant (325) California Mar 26, 2013

doing the tour on Saturday of the barrel room (mecca). can't wait
    dcbullet likes this.
  19. beerhan

beerhan Savant (395) Ohio Apr 28, 2010

I really think Firestone has the best barrel program in the country and have demonstrated that quite profoundly. Speaking as a person who lives outside of their distribution footprint and who has tried more or less everything they have bottled (save for pnc), they actually appear to know what they are doing when they blend and/or age beers. I have had many a beer that seems like it was thrown into a barrel just to jump on aforementioned bourbon barrel bandwagon but brews like parabola are just solid examples of the style.

Tl;dr it tastes delicious, and I will do what I need to for more.
    m34josh, nophunk, ufmj and 2 others like this.
  20. illeagle05

illeagle05 Savant (290) Virginia Dec 21, 2010

Sure it is. You're trying to define the proper way to prepare and flavor beer by saying putting it in a bourbon barrel is being done simply to "mask" an underlying poor beer. You can say that about any single ingredient in any beer that deviates from the very first beer recipe... the bourbon barrel is just another ingredient.
    m34josh, Harnkus and GreesyFizeek like this.
  21. end_27

end_27 Savant (430) Illinois Sep 23, 2012

Was
    Of course you do! o_O Know a guy, who know's a guy....who stole from a guy!
  22. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Savant (325) California Mar 26, 2013

I really think PJ Harvey is awesome
    cjoc83 and beerhan like this.
  23. Fargrow

Fargrow Savant (495) Michigan Feb 7, 2013

Since everyone's doing it... FT: 2014 KBS, ISO: This!
  24. Harnkus

I'm not saying that at all. This collective notion though, that BBA beers are the apex of beer enlightenment is the biggest ruse on good taste. I reckon they are a dime a dozen and. Good waste of space and ability

25. That's like, your opinion, man.
  26. JOHNKNEEGEEZ

JOHNKNEEGEEZ Aficionado (125) Maine Feb 22, 2014

I'll be heading to the Whale's Vagina next week. Any recommendations as to a good beer store? BevMo? Appreciate any help! Cheers!
    WesMantooth likes this.
  27. nophunk

nophunk Aficionado (230) Louisiana Nov 27, 2011

You have changed your story about 5 times.
    Mumbles720 likes this.
  28. That's a sweet name! I'd get a shirt just for conversation.
  29. Yes, I was aware of this however not trying to be a smart ass about my reply but, I have no such option thus having to rely on my cabinet

hopefully it doesn't ruin it as I'll be doing this to one of three parabolas when purchased
  30. I kept a 2011 in a kitchen cabinet for 3 years. Tasted absolutely outstanding. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    2beerdogs likes this.
  31. Harnkus

Nah, just layering my opinion in a scatty manner.
  32. Harnkus

As all things are outside of scientific or undeniable evidence.

33. Thanks man
    Kanpai!
    2beerdogs and lakeylake like this.
  34. Really hope some of this comes into Binny's Champaign tomorrow. Case of wine + Truck of Parabola should make for a good haul to the cellar.

Cheers!

Steven
  35. Shamb

Shamb Savant (265) California Jan 13, 2014

Anyone in CA see this on shelfs yet? Specifically Sacramento
  36. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

Isn't Whale's Vagina playing Day 2 at Coachella?
  37. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

You're not the only one in the area on the hunt! If I see any, I'll definitely pass the info along!
    Shamb likes this.
  38. why are you guys on the hunt??? i've heard barrel aged FW stuff chills on shelves in Cali... in Colorado, it's a different story....
  39. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

In my own experience going through this last year, Double DBA and Velvet Merkin seemed to languish on shelves for awhile, but with Sucaba and Parabola, if you blinked you might miss it..
  40. Yeah, around me parabola lasted about a week last year. Sucaba a bit longer but the other two lasted a while.