1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone Walker - Parabola 2014

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by DaltonC, Mar 2, 2014.

1. That's what they say, but I'd not be shocked to see it magically show up next week.
    charlzm likes this.
  2. Shocked to have gotten some on my first try. Binny's Evergreen Park and Prestige Liquors in Countryside contributed one each, so I'm rolling.
    [​IMG]

It'll ease the pain of missing out on Dark Lord tickets.
  3. After hours of searching for the elusive, Parabola I finally found a liquor shop that had it in stock. Then I was shocked to hear that they wouldn't sell me a bottle. :eek: That's right, the guy on the phone refused to sell me a bottle until I was able to prove that I was a customer of his.

UN...believable...
    charlzm likes this.
  4. @McBeery Thanks for the FYI. Jetted there as soon as I saw your post. They had 8 left by the time I got there, and the guy said no limit. I just picked up 2 though =P
  5. WTF! Wow.

I've never found beer at liquor stores around me, I wish though.
  6. I had the same problem. But I drove 35 miles to go pick up my bottle. The guy at the deli/bottle shop sold it to me under the condition that I buy a pint to drink at the shop, and sandwich to eat there, as well as another beer (I opted for a BBA Joseph James Russian Imperial Stout). Set me back some money, but well worth every penny.
  7. I get the feeling like we will see the first spotting of Parabola in the Denver area on Thursday... Crossing my fingers!
    TickleMeTony likes this.
  8. It's a small liquor/bottle shop. But I couldn't believe he or anyone would ever turned down business. Even if I was a new customer, why would he or anyone deny a potential NEW customer? That's just bad business.

That's also bad business. Say he sold you the bottle & you saw other brews you wanted to try. You would probably go back, eh? But to ask someone to spend more money is ridiculous. A guy tried to get my girlfriend to spend at least $50 in order for her to get a 6 pack of Hopslam. When she said she didn't want to buy anything else at that time he put the 6 pack back & refused to sell it to her. She said, "you sir, are an asshole & you just lost yourself a lot of business".
  9. I agree with you, in that I certainly wouldn't run my own business that way; however, I will be going back there simply because the bottle shop had a good selection of pretty great beers, the deli had one of the best French dips I've had in a long time, and the bar section had 108 taps. I probably won't go there often, but I will go back sometime in the near future.

And although the guy had some pretty stringent demands, I still think I came out on top by a longshot.
  10. neurobot01

neurobot01 Savant (290) California Jan 25, 2014

I'm pretty sure I'm pissing off my local Costco employees, as I'm stopping in or calling basically every day to ask if it's been ordered yet. They keep saying "no", but they got some last year, and the guy who stocks the beer/wine thought they'd have it again.

I got burned on ┬žucaba this year (I bought a bunch at Whole Foods at $15/bottle the day it came out, only to later see it for $11.50/bottle at Costco; of course, there are still bottles at WF), but I'll probably get screwed on Parabola by trying the opposite strategy (I bought one bottle at WF, now my cheap ass is waiting for Costco... inevitably, it'll never come, and by the time I figure it out there'll be none left anywhere). C'est la vie.
    Phobicsquirrel likes this.
  11. See, in those situations the owner or manager or employees should believe in their products to draw people back. But the demand to spend more money on one visit is just absurd. But that's awesome you found a good watering hole with a good selection with good food (that's always a huge plus!). I found a store in my area with a great selection but the service was god awful. So I refuse to ever step foot in the store or promote them in any way. I look at it this way, if you want my business, that means you must want to keep your job. So be appreciative of my business & I'll be back. Treat me like dirt & you'll never see me again. See, I work at a restaurant so I show appreciation to all of my customers. Without them, I don't have a job. I feel as if everyone in the customer service industry should feel the same way. Just my opinion.
  12. As someone who has been everything from a host to a dishwasher to a line cook, I appreciate good service. And although I agree that the product should speak for itself, I can understand someone being a bit hawkish over a couple bottles of Parabola. The guy told me that he had two cases (the cases this year, I hear, though I could be wrong, only contain six bottles), so it was quite the gesture giving me one of the bottles. Again, as someone who has worked in a restaurant, I appreciate the fact that he probably wanted to reserve a bottle for a regular or some beloved customer, and I was just some shmuck coming in to pick up a single bottle.

Most of the time, I'm more on your side. It doesn't take much to piss me off, and I have no qualms about not supporting a place that has blatantly mistreated me.
  13. what an effin clown. What sort of shit is this?
  14. Which one in socal if you don't mind me asking as there are several. I was at one in the fontana area & they simply acknowledged the fact that I was aware they would not have any when asked. They didn't even know when they would be receiving it.

I had also asked for victory at sea & the chick was just waiting on me like, come on you big dummy I'll show you where it's at (when i had already looked) & had thought they had some in stock. Checked inventory & no go.
    NiceBeerCans likes this.
  15. Long Beach, this guy seemed pretty knowledgeable as he knew it hadn't hit their Bevmo distro center
  16. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Savant (280) Maryland Apr 12, 2013

Don't know if anyone had responded/mentioned this yet, but as of Tuesday night, the Perfect Pour in Columbia had a few bottles for $19.00 with a 1 bottle/person limit. Got a bottle and I'm very happy about it!!
  17. I know, Bullshit eh?
  18. jmk

jmk Aficionado (145) Illinois May 8, 2008

This is not BS nor is the guy a clown. He has a business and he is trying to make sure those who keep him in business get some of the limited releases. People who buy more than the limited stuff. They are who pay his overhead. Not those who only call to ask for limited stuff. You may or may not ever come back, and if he sold you a bottle, he may shutout a good customer who buys hundreds of dollars of beer there. Nothing wrong with taking care of regulars over chasers.
  19. Isn't that what waiting lists are for? I tried to get some Sucaba back in February from my local shop, and they said that all of the bottles they got were reserved for regular customers who had already put their names down. They apparently do the same thing for all of their whales. Makes more sense than demanding proof that a customer is a regular or forcing them to spend more money (why not just raise the price then?).
    Circles413 likes this.
  20. ksecler

ksecler Aspirant (45) Illinois Oct 21, 2013

agree 100%. It seems like there are truck chaisers with this stuff. Kinda kills the fun of craft beer if you ask me.
    bozodogbreath likes this.
  21. MikeCactusGordon

MikeCactusGordon Savant (490) Ohio Feb 20, 2011

ISO. I really want to crush one of these 2014's if someone can help me out. Can ship fresh Hop Juju, Ohio stuff, etc.

2011 batch was great.
    mychalg9 likes this.
  22. ksecler

ksecler Aspirant (45) Illinois Oct 21, 2013

Raise the price? Then it becomes a bidding war. That is not smart
  23. I'm not actually advocating raising the price, it just seems simpler than forcing someone to buy a lot of extra stuff.
  24. I've never had the luxury and privilege of trying Parabola heretofore. But I'm curious to know how it compares to two other excellent Bourbon Barrel-aged Imperial Stouts that I've had and love: Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout and Founders KBS. Are we talking the same ballpark here?
  25. zrbeer1579

zrbeer1579 Savant (335) Illinois Dec 3, 2012

For BCBS, yes. But for KBS, I would say no, since it have chocolate and coffee added and is best fresh. Maybe Bell's Black Note Stout, among others.
  26. Thanks. Curious too to know if anyone has had Dogfish Head World Wide Stout recently. It is not Bourbon Barrel-aged, I know. But it is an incredibly "big beer." 18% ABV. It is an amazing beer too. I would love to taste test it against BCBS. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I will get that opportunity any time soon. I bought the last four DFH WW Stouts from my beer store. And they won't likely get BCBS in anytime soon either.
  27. iBorracho

iBorracho Zealot (75) California Feb 8, 2013

I can see this from both sides and can understand why some bottle shops do this. For regulars who spend the cash at the shop, being put on a list & knowing you'll get those whales is not only comforting but makes you feel special. The shop knows he made a 'customer for life'.

I can also understand the frustration of those that pop in to a new shop, wanting to make the same purchase but only to be disappointed by the shop's 'regulars rule'.

It has to be a tough call for the shop owner, if he truly cares. For sure he wants to please his regular customers but would also like to make new ones. I've been on both sides of this and can say, just like with anything in life, it rocks & it sucks depending on what the outcome was.....
  28. iBorracho

iBorracho Zealot (75) California Feb 8, 2013

Parabola, especially this year, is much more 'milder' than the Dogfish World Wide Stout. WWS had a little less heat than BCBS that I can remember, but more complex flavors. Especially the chocolate & spices.
  29. I see what you're saying but this is where I respectfully disagree.

1, if you want to save a product for a "regular". Don't tell people you have it just to them tell a non "regular" that they can't buy it. That's just bad business.

2, from a business stance you want to draw in new potential customers. By denying future customers to a good product you are cutting yourself off at the knees. (Referring back to my first point) when you tell a potential customer that you have a product & then deny them of purchasing it, it turns people off to the store.

Now okay, there are those people who go from store to store, buying up every bottle they can find & that ruins the scene for everyone. But not everyone does that.

Lastly 3, lets look at it this way. A store gets 1 6 bottle case. They have 10 loyal customers, 5 potential customers & 15 stalkers. Who gets the 6 bottles? Sure, the store can save the case to split between 6 out of the 10 regulars. But then 4 get left out & could get upset & then go elsewhere. It's a double edged sword.

Again, the biggest point I'm trying to make is, you DON'T tell someone, "yes, we have it but you can't buy it". It's better to just say, no I'm sorry but we didn't get it in.
    Donco and scotorum like this.
  30. Chicago northern burbs types...

Binnys Skokie, Highland Park
    Evanston 1st

Parabola came and went.

I guess my search is over, unless I get lucky and find it in an unexpected place or trade for it.
  31. Binny's in River grove has some Parabola left. Went in today & I saw a case behind the service counter.
  32. Shamb

Shamb Savant (265) California Jan 13, 2014

Funny these bottles made it halfway across the US before it makes its rounds in CA where it's brewed
    Furlinator likes this.
  33. I picked up a case (6 bottles) at the BevMo in Santa Barbara this morning.
  34. sahd-1

sahd-1 Savant (300) Illinois Jul 2, 2013

Good to know. Last time I was in there (about 3 months ago), the dust on the craft beer bottles looked like powdered sugar.
  35. vfgccp

vfgccp Advocate (520) New York Oct 28, 2010

I can get you Founders All day and maybe some Hopslam.
  36. scotorum

scotorum Savant (400) Massachusetts May 28, 2013

There is a name for this. Extortion.
    Furlinator likes this.
  37. edmaher

edmaher Savant (320) Illinois Jan 11, 2008

So how does this year's batch taste?
  38. [​IMG]

Grabbed a bottle on my way home to find out that my girlfriend also got me a bottle. I am willing to trade a bottle for a bottle of, Bourbon county rare. BM me if interested in a trade. I also have a bottle of, Darkness that I'd be willing to trade for the BC rare.
    HopHead84 and largadeer like this.
  39. mrkdwrds

mrkdwrds Savant (325) California Dec 2, 2010

Me too - picked mine up in Goleta. Apparently they just got their shipment today, not sure why it landed in Chicago first. :confused:
  40. Some stores got it here 2 weeks ago & all are sold out. That is odd that we got it before you all. Most stores in Chicago only got a 6 pack case & they sell out within hours or even sometimes, minutes.