Firestone Walker - Parabola 2014

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by DaltonC, Mar 2, 2014.

1. gkoz

gkoz Savant (465) Arizona Apr 22, 2013

I'd imagine anyone who has rare would also be able to get darkness and parabola pretty easily. good luck

2. Anyone know when we will see it in Philly?? Still haven't even seen Sucaba around yet...

3. fwiw, you are not close. Someone might trade you a Rare for like 8 bottles of Parabola but even then I'm not sure.

JohnnyMc, gcamparone, 1424IpA and 7 others like this.
  4. I think you may have just missed Sucaba. It already came and went in South Jersey and Philly area. You could still probably find a bottle in some of the bottle shops in Philly if you don't mind paying $20+.

Still haven't seen Parabola yet though.

5. Keep us posted on that Philly sighting for Parabola!

Mbo108 and BeerIsMyFavorite like this.
  6. Whats your costco location?

7. I had some on tap at the Feral One release. To be honest, it was not that good compared to previous years. My buddies and I all agreed that there is a noticeable hop presence that we didn't necessarily get in the past. Hopefully the bottled version is better.

8. I had it at the Feral release as well, and again last weekend at BarrelWorks. I thought it was fantastic, and will calm down in a few months. Its very young, and the increased abv could lead to a perceived high note. I do think there was a touch more coffee bitterness involved. All in all, another great vintage.

9. neurobot01

neurobot01 Savant (355) California Jan 25, 2014

Goleta.

10. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Savant (345) Virginia Sep 15, 2011

This...being that a single bottle of Rare is going for $150-$250 on mybeercellar.com...

11. I'm now through about 4 bottles of this year's, and I've got to say it IS better than last year's batch. Must be the barrels used, but it tastes very well rounded on all flavor fronts and mouthfeel. Very thick and decandent.

JOrtt likes this.
  12. Shamb

Shamb Savant (265) California Jan 13, 2014

Where you getting it??

Any sightings in Sacramento area yet?

13. I agree. I also thought it was a touch thinner than prior vintages. People have disagreed with me, but I feel the difference will be very noticeable when I get around to lining up the 5 year vertical.

14. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (425) California Dec 17, 2012

I haven't run across any... The Citrus Heights BevMo told me it would probably be weeks, but I only saw 2 bottles of ┬žucaba show up there, and that was after most other stores got it..

Shamb likes this.
  15. If anyone in the Sacramento area ends up with some extra bottles of this year's, I have a bunch of 2013.

Shamb likes this.
  16. Has anyone seen any in stores in so cal? LA, OC, SD? I'm patiently waiting for it.

17. Nope.

18. I received word we will see it in the Denver Area next week :)

19. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (450) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

Hey, let us know how that trade offer works out for you.

JOrtt likes this.
  20. I managed to grab a few Sucuba and a couple of Velvet Merkin last month. Has Parabola popped up in Brooklyn or Manhattan? Last year I could not find a bottle, I must persevere.

21. 1:59 p.m. - gets tweet from Binny's in Glen Ellyn saying Parabola is in.
    2:00 p.m. - jumps in car and heads toward Binny's.
    2:22 p.m. - arrives in parking lot at Binny's.
    2:22:33 p.m. - gets tweet from Binny's in Glen Ellyn saying Parabola is sold out.

Lovely . . .

delaced21 likes this.
  22. capnmike

capnmike Savant (310) Illinois Dec 6, 2013

Hit some stores by me (north burbs) today, luckily I was working at home. Got 1, not sure about current stock, one place still has it on their beermenus page (Austin Liquors Skokie).

23. No, it usually takes about 4-6 weeks after release. Should be soon though. Just go to bevmos and have them email you when it arrives. I did it with the one at arden and roseville. Not to mention Roseville one still have cases of The Abyss.

24. gkoz

must be nice to have that kind of freedom

JohnnyMc and bozodogbreath like this.
  25. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (725) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Things jealous people say. Speaking from personal experience it is quite nice to have the freedom to leave at 2:00 to buy beer, I plan on doing it next week for Parabola.

26. Wow sold out in 22 minutes. Crazy. Good luck on getting some. Sounds like bcbs when it hit by me.

27. Yeah, that's all I do is sit around all day and wait for tweets from Binny's. You nailed it.

28. theandychrist

theandychrist Savant (395) Maryland Apr 21, 2013

1 bottle limit here, they wouldn't sell my friend a bottle because they knew it was for me.

29. gkoz

whoa easy there, I never said it was a bad thing to have that freedom... and so what if I wish I had that freedom still? there really is a lot of animosity in the craft beer community

Rekrule, m34josh and ArrogantB like this.
  30. Shamb

Shamb Savant (265) California Jan 13, 2014

A little birdy told me Bevmo will be getting them in on Friday in the Sacramento area. Crossing my fingers

31. But it's still widely accessible so, "trade value" compared to much inferior beers still suffers. Just try to trade with Danny Full Pint, and other Star Wars fans...

32. I don't see why anyone tries to trade away Parabola. The $4$ means you're not getting anything remotely close to as good. You may as well just keep the parabola and enjoy it.

mlhyatt, Beersnake1 and FarmerTed like this.
  33. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (405) California Nov 2, 2012

18.40 with tax.

34. Holy shit, really? sounds like when I tried buying my nephew a pair of those dunks that came out a few weeks ago. simply because i authenticated the catchphrase incorrectly the first time which was dumb.

I'm surprised how fast this flies off the shelf not even allowing breathing space. You snooze, you loose.

btw, this is probably a rookie question but what the hell is a feral one? It's like telling someone what is a bomber.

35. This is a Feral One: http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/products/feral-one

36. Drift

Drift Savant (425) California Mar 26, 2014

I called all the local bevmo's and total wines.

2 Said they are suppose to be getting it in Friday.

37. JGLittle

JGLittle Savant (390) Massachusetts Mar 24, 2012

Just had a Sucaba sighting in MA for the first time this afternoon. No news on Parabola.

38. kvgomps

kvgomps Savant (400) Massachusetts Feb 10, 2013

Second the Sucaba sightings just west of Boston. Allegedly will hit Cambridge/Boston within a week. Asked about Parabola and was told it won't be nearly the same delay as with Sucaba.

JGLittle likes this.
  39. I had an easier time scoring Darkness x2 than Parabola. It's crazy how quickly these are flying off of the shelves here in Chicago.

edmaher, bozodogbreath and gkoz like this.
  40. mtskier

mtskier Savant (270) Illinois Feb 23, 2013

Yep. Darkness was a breeze. This I got one from a hookup, but took me sheer luck to find a second. Seems a lot of places a) got very little and b) some report getting less than they were promised/ordered.