1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone Walker Sucaba (Abacus) Release

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by jvillefan, Jan 12, 2013.

1. jvillefan

jvillefan Savant (475) California Sep 3, 2011

According to the Firestone Walker Facebook page, Abacus is going to be released on February 1st.

DonDirkA and KevSal like this.
  2. I was just at the brewery yesterday and it was coming off the bottling line. The brewery confirmed the Feb 1st release date. I also had a sample of 2012 Sucaba and it was unbelievable.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  3. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

One of my top ten beers, for sure. Yowza.

4. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

5. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Excited for this. I haven't been able to enjoy one of these in like 2 weeks.

6. kirbmeist

jeez lol. that would be never for me

7. RichD

I strolled into a random liquor store in the middle of November and there it was just sitting on the shelf. Actually there was 3 but I only grabbed one with the intention on the other 2 being there the next week... Didn't happen. I did enjoy the hell out of the bottle I grabbed on Christmas. An incredible beer. The barrel aging makes this one of my top 10 favorite all time beers and I've only had it twice.

8. kirbmeist

damn thats awesome. if you wind up with a good amount and might wanna trade im always open to figuring out a little something. like your avatar btw im a huge hophead but thats probably my fav beer had my first one not too long ago. Cant get anymore of that here in FL either. =/ oh well theres always Cigar City ;)

9. goalie33

goalie33 Savant (330) New York Dec 3, 2009

any idea when it's expected to hit new york?

frankthetank86 likes this.
  10. RichD

I'll see what I can do. I'll probably grab 2 or 3 at least went I first see it. As for FBS, I could buy it by the case but I only buy 1 4 pack at a time for portion control. I could drink it all day every day and not get tired. And I totally would love to try some Cigar City, we don't get that in my neck of the woods. Tragic.

11. kirbmeist

well thats what trading is for maybe something will work out for both of us.

12. RichD

Absolutely, I'd love to try the Cucumber Saison and the Jai Alai and obviously the Hunahpu.

imyourhero21 likes this.
  13. kirbmeist

hell yea i havent had hunah yet but im going to hunahpu day in march. I live in orlando so its only about an hour to and hour and a half drive. tryng to get as much hunah as possible so hopefully ill have enough to do some tradin when its all said and done.

14. RichD

That would be nice! Have fun there.

15. Heading to Portland next week but I think I'll stash some of my spending $$ for this release instead!

16. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Oh man, we're on the cusp of getting Firestone Walker here in Austin this spring (Dallas as well). I've heard yes and no on this making it here.. leaning more towards no right now. I hope we at least get it on tap somewhere.

17. Just found a 2012 bottle on a shelf in Phoenix last night. Bought it for $20 and wasn't sure if that was normal or not...? I think DDBA and Parabola were $15...

18. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

15 is what I'm used to paying for Sucaba

19. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

I've paid $15 - $25 in AZ for FW special releases over the last four years. $20 is not too bad. Especially if you supported a local store and not a big chain.....Sucaba is a great beer.

20. RichD

Yes, definitely should've been around 14-15. I paid 17 for a bottle in late November and I thought it was a little high, but I obviously still snagged one. Great brew.

21. I know Beverage Warehouse had Parabola when it first came out at around $22 or so. Yeah, I didn't buy any as it was still early on in the Parabola season, but I know plenty of places try to make some profits off the mark up of the special releases.

22. great, this means the whole of massachusetts will get a whopping 10 cases total, sometime before the end of summer!

23. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

$18 here in chicago IIRC

24. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Cool I missed this last year

25. Dude, Sucaba was on shelves through the fall of 2012. All over Cambridge. If you need help finding some, let me know. It was also like $14-17 everywhere.

26. actually, i'm referring to the shitstorm of parabola 2012 and near-shitstorm of XVI. the past year has seen drastic inconsistency of availability with some of their premium releases.

27. Yeah, Parabola was a serious disappointment this year for us in MA. I didn't even try to go for it.

28. There is still 2012 Sucaba on the shelves in Boston for about $17 if you look hard enough. Bought a bottle last week and there were 4 or 5 behind it.

That's because we didn't get any, because they screwed up the shipment.

29. (just to clarify again, my initial post - which was done partly in jest - is not about sucaba specifically, but instead the more general phenomenon of FW being inconsistent with distribution of its allocated releases to MA.)

30. oh yeah, i wasn't jabbing at your post - just wanted to point this out to anyone who might be searching for a bottle and doesn't want to wait until whenever the hell 2013 sucaba shows up here!

31. RASTAPHX

RASTAPHX Zealot (95) Arizona Jun 3, 2011

I'm in Phoenix, where did you find this and was there anymore left?

32. This whole distribution doesn't make sense. We pay $17 to $22 for the FW releases in San Diego and they sell out right away. Why would FW bother sending them out all over the country for less money (retail) and have them sit on the shelves?

33. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Parabola and Sucaba certainly don't sit on any shelves in Chicago. Save for a few price gougers.

34. At Tops Liquors in Tempe. It was the only bottle. Also picked up a 2011 BA Old Ruffian, Bruery's Cuir and a 2012 Ivan the Terrible for only $10. I can tell these bottles had been sitting somewhere for a long time and then for some odd reason, placed back on the shelf.

35. they very, very rarely sit on the shelves around here. Parabola & XVI certainly don't. not sure why this year's batch of Sucaba has - perhaps we got a lot here in Boston, or maybe the stores I go to are just putting out bits at time.

36. It's just a random flip of the coin, really. I had no problem getting '12 bottles but had a hell of a time finding even 2 bottles of the '11.

With VXI, I've only seen it once in my travels through L.A. beer shops.

37. dianimal

dianimal Savant (455) California Apr 18, 2012

Cool. I'd like to try it.

38. XVI was near impossible to get here in Phoenix; pretty sure most of it was gone in hours. Also, obscure bars and shops got this and didn't really advertise it so lots of my "go-to" shops had only a case, maybe two. Luckily Whole Foods got this one in a keg and sold it afterwards on Saturday for their "Any draft beer $4" day. Lots was consumed.

39. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I think Sucaba is still on the shelf at my little mom & pop here in Tucson AZ (I haven't been in there in a long time, I'm broke from Xmas). DDBA is still on the shelf, Parabola disappeared in about 2 months (a little slower than usual) and I'm sure he still has XVI because he still had XV until I bought the last two back in like September or October to send to a fellow BA here.