1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone Walker Sucaba (Abacus) Release

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by jvillefan, Jan 12, 2013.

1. I am fully aware of the Chicago beer scene. But, even with sucaba being a top 5 BA Barleywine IMO I don't remember it being hard to come by last year. I know it escalates every year but still. Damn newbs!

2. kaseydad

kaseydad Advocate (740) California Nov 23, 2008

Walnut Creek Whole Foods had at least six on the non-cold shelf this evening. 14.99 if I recall correctly. Blind Pig also available but no Pliny.

3. Why the surprise? It's a damn good beer. That FW makes enough to spread it to the rest of the country, albeit thinly, shouldn't take away from its desirability.

Pelican5 likes this.
  4. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

Agreed. I was just messing with ya. Last years release was still on some shelves well into the summer months.
    I'm just hoping that Binnys Grand was an anomaly because it was probably the first few Chicago stores to get any.

kawilliams81 likes this.
  5. Anyone seen this in the Sacramento/Roseville area yet?

6. sdpaul

sdpaul Savant (285) California May 2, 2012

Tasted it for the first time last year..Man it is really great and I don't like Barleywines

7. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

Sunset Beer Company

8. I haven't but I'd check the Roseville WF and Nugget. Usually pretty good chance.

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  9. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Binny's Downers Grove sold out in an hour today. Limit 1.

10. hopswap1

hopswap1 Savant (385) Illinois Apr 27, 2012

binny's niles and skokie still have some. $14.99 limit one. Peruvian morning and bbbw(limit 1 bottle:( ) too

11. azureoval

azureoval Savant (425) California Jan 25, 2010

NO at WF ,Nugget, TW, and Bevmo Rosevile as of Tonight (Friday).

SHODriver likes this.
  12. JOrtt

JOrtt Savant (345) California Dec 20, 2012

I have full availability here in Central California if anyone is interested. I'm looking to get into the trading business as I have not tried many midwest beers. Please let me know.

13. That sucks about CW beers! Was hoping to grab a 4 pack of each or more.

14. Just bought myself two at work. If you live in the San Mateo area, get yours at BevMo!, quick. We got three cases worth and they're going quick.

15. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (420) New York Jan 13, 2010

NYC nothing yet. Checked the usual places today. Not expecting until next week the earliest.

16. im on long island so we'll probably get it a few days after

17. Any word on it's so cal appearance?

18. It hit around Thursday. Check out your local spots. Should be around for a while.

19. pcstuck

pcstuck Aficionado (135) Illinois Jan 5, 2013

Was able to snag a 4-pack of Peruvian Morning and BBBW yesterday along with some Sucaba. The CW beers are getting harder to find. Hopefully another shipment will come in. Peruvian morning is tasty. Haven't cracked open a Sucaba yet tho

20. mtk180

mtk180 Disciple (60) California Jan 18, 2013

Anyone know of anywhere in the SF Bay Area that still has some of this?

21. As of yesterday afternoon:
    Mill Valley Market
    Corte Madera BevMo (also has BA Bigfoot)

22. I have been told by several store managers in the southern Orange County area that it will be at least one more week. Possibly two.

23. The Bay is already out of it? Damn. The Central Valley is getting theirs this week.

24. Got 3 bottles today at SOMA WF. They had 2 left after I got there.

Should be pointed out, I called them this morning and they said they didn't have it, but I went anyways. Glad I did.

SanFranJake likes this.
  25. U crazy? $14.99 a bottle at Bevmo. Limit 2 per person at the Bayshore location, no limit in San Mateo.

26. This was in reference to the XIV. Shit, I wish it was $15!
    No problem pulling the trigger on Sucaba for $15!

CommanderOfAwesome likes this.
  27. mtk180

mtk180 Disciple (60) California Jan 18, 2013

Found 3 bottles at the Greenbrae, CA Bevmo. Don't know if they have anymore, but I do know they have about 10 at one of the bevmos in SF. Thanks for the tip man

28. El_Guapo

El_Guapo Zealot (90) California Feb 19, 2013

For those of you in the San Ramon/Dublin/Pleasanton area of SF, here is a link to the BevMo Pleasanton online ordering for Sucaba. I ordered two online and picked up another two while I was there. I had to ask for it since they kept in the back and not out in the racks/displays. Enjoy! http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=34742

ScottO likes this.
  29. Bevmo on Van Ness in SF got 3 cases as of Saturday, no limit

30. ScottO

ScottO Savant (280) California Mar 4, 2012

Thanks for the tip, Guapo.

31. I just found a bottle at Ralph's in Hingham, MA today. Unfortunately/fortunately...I think I got the last one. I also stopped into Redstone and I didn't see any there! Although, they did have The Bruery's Sour In the Rye (if you're looking for a different speed).

Ganglani likes this.
  32. I work at Loyola Marymount University in LA. The bar on campus is doing a Firestone tap takeover tomorrow where they will be selling $3 pints of this (yes, pints). I feel like there are going to be a lot of very drunk college students stumbling home tomorrow night.

SanFranJake likes this.
  33. That is amazing!!!!

34. Sounds like now might be as good a time as any to go back to college

35. I've been calling my local bottle shops every couple of days since the release, and no joy yet. According to one, it won't make it this far north of Sacramento :/

36. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

It's annoying that anyone has to scramble after a release this big.

37. BUZZ in LA had some bottles for $17. Too bad I passed thinking I'll have no problem getting it around CA while I was there to visit last weekend...

PHX!?!?

38. i just got 3 2012's for $13 a pop. So happy

39. Anyone in CA want to be a trustee of sorts for an online order? Online spot does not ship to NM. For your trouble, you may take one out of the box before shipping it on to me (I'll send you a label). References necessary. BM me if interested.