1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone Walker - Velvet Merkin

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by imfrommichigan, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Still not in MD. It's gonna hit here the same time every other expensive beer that I want hits.
  2. Havent seen it in NY either but I did manage to get a 6 pack
    Definitely nothing to write home about.. :(
    Now Parabola on the other hand....
  3. Squiggy

Squiggy Aficionado (215) Michigan Feb 18, 2013

I really want to try Velvet Merkin.
    This talk of being thin bums me out.
    I like my Stouts thick.
    Thick like chocolate milk that has been sitting in a cup for a week.
    Thick like used motor oil at the 15,000 mile mark.
    creepinjeeper and Christopper like this.
  4. The thinness was a slight draw back for me. But at 8.5%, how chewy can you expect ? It is very tasty though.
  5. robwater

robwater Aficionado (215) Colorado Jan 14, 2012

CO got like a case per store. So you're telling me IL got a friggin truck backin up to unload assloads of Merkin at local liquor stores? I'm callin BS.
  6. Waldomega

Waldomega Aficionado (105) Nevada Jan 15, 2013

im in vegas. theres 2 cases on the shelf at the lees by my house, let alone whats in back, and theres muptiple cases still at the whole foods a lil farther up the street. all the double dba and merkin you want
  7. charlzm

charlzm Advocate (710) California Sep 3, 2007

Still available around town here in the San Fernando Valley; just saw some literally last night.
  8. end_27

end_27 Savant (370) Illinois Sep 23, 2012

Was able to nab a bottle here in Chicago, buddy of mine in Cali hooked another bottle as a extra, definitely didn't expect it but gladly add it to the collection. Maybe a New Year Eve brew to crack?!?!
  9. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Merkin, not Merlin..
    m34josh, JayPeso and withoutlimits like this.
  10. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 Savant (420) Illinois May 29, 2012

I wouldn't say there's a "flood" here in Chicago, but if you walk into a liquor store that carries craft beer, I'd say there's a 50/50 chance it's on the shelf. I bought a bottle and enjoyed it, but I didn't feel a need to go back and stock up or anything...

Side note: I'd prefer if they charged $1 less per bomber and got rid of the whole "bottle in a box" thing, but that's just me...
  11. Just picked up a bottle...is it "hot" for a BA stout?, or can you drink it right away with very little aging.
  12. Rizalini

Rizalini Savant (345) Nevada Jan 20, 2011

Had one last night, it was delicious!
    Cheers!
  13. Silly question, what will a year or so do to it?
  14. Sometimes barrel aged stouts can taste boozy, like the bourbon is too overpowering..by letting it sit 6-12 months it mellows out and becomes smoother and more balanced...although With FW it's probably not too big a concern as they are one of the best at BA beers.
  15. thanks. My concern was the thinness folks were referring to. Gonna opt out of saving it and pop that cap this weekend. Cheers
    JOrtt likes this.
  16. ERRL710

ERRL710 Savant (280) Illinois May 6, 2013

He isn't lying. Its in just about every store. Pretty sure Before You Go liquors just got MORE last week.
  17. charlzm

charlzm Advocate (710) California Sep 3, 2007

It's still pretty common out here in southern California. Just saw a neighborhood market (the lottery and Bud Light kind of place) with a few in the cooler. Those brown boxes are easy to spot.
  18. rgdp

rgdp Aspirant (30) California Aug 21, 2013

They popped up at a ma/pa corner market by my house. They were letting them go for $10. Firestone rep swung by and told them they have to charge more. They are $15 now.
  19. I've only had one bottle, and I loved it. I've got three more in my cellar, and if I could get it in NC I would be buying as much as I could. I just don't want to pay $15 a bottle plus shipping to get my hands on it at this point.

Might have to check some stores in Virginia over Thanksgiving.
  20. Abbbp

Abbbp Savant (385) Texas Mar 9, 2013

Dang I want some, can't wait for it to get to Texas. I had it during NTX Beer Week last week on tap in Dallas, need more!
  21. Jared_A

Jared_A Aficionado (150) Oregon May 22, 2013

6 pack of merkin or Merlin? Merlin comes in 6 packs and merkin comes single in a box and costs $15
  22. Does anybody else find it strange that people are saying it is thin? I'm pretty sure part of the point of making this with a "regular" stout was to make it more drinkable than a 15% BA imperial...
    Rizalini likes this.
  23. Yes my mistake.. still in the hunt for Merkin
  24. derftron

derftron Savant (275) Oregon Feb 8, 2012

the thin complainers need to chill. not everything has to be motor oil.

this is a very tasty 8.5% barrel aged stout. if you are expecting Parbola or Ten Fidy JUST GO AND BUY THOSE INSTEAD
    grilledsquid, DWarcher and Rizalini like this.
  25. Am I the only one that liked it more than Parabola? I thought the mouthfeel (probably due to the oatmeal) was much nicer.
    alucard6679 likes this.
  26. Squiggy

Squiggy Aficionado (215) Michigan Feb 18, 2013

FT:Backwoods Bastard ISO:Velvet Mirkin
  27. Acropora

Acropora Savant (310) California Oct 15, 2013

I have a couple of bottles of FSW Merkin and Anniversary XVII for trade if anybody is interested.
  28. Parabola also has a large amount of oats in it. It's really not far off of a double version of Merlin, actually.

Merkin starts as a 5.5% oatmeal stout that picks up a sizable amount of booze from aging in first-fill bourbon barrels, so I think you have to come into it expecting attributes from a regular stout, like a lighter, more drinkable profile, and it's gong to be best consumed fresh.
    alucard6679 likes this.
  29. "Regular" stouts don't have to be thin nor do thicker stouts automatically qualify as less drinkable. Merkin is relatively thin. People mentioning it or not liking it holds no bearing on the "point" of the beer which only the brewer knows anyways.

I thought the beer was mediocre myself, even without factoring in mouthfeel. Outside of Sucuba, I'm less than impressed with FWs barrel-aged options. The hype is just that.
  30. MarcWP

MarcWP Savant (425) Arizona Dec 2, 2012

Maybe you're an adjunct kind of guy. Firestone uses none and this makes for more subtle flavor profiles and attention to perfect brewing technique. Their regular lineup is proof of this, DBA, Pivo, Wookey Jack, Merlin, Pale 31 etc. There is a reason why the masses of other brewers respect Matt Bryndilson so much and if there is any brewery in which hype holds no merit it would be Firestone Walker.
  31. Maybe I'm not.

I'm very aware of this and am all for subtle flavor profiles. That doesn't change what my palate says of the beers.

Sadly, I can't taste other brewer's respect. What I can taste is the beer and I have found their barrel aged beers to be okay at best (outside of Sucuba). You can continue to love them, I will pass from here on out.
  32. MarcWP

MarcWP Savant (425) Arizona Dec 2, 2012

Yeah Sucaba is sick isn't it! Pass em up. I'm sure nobody will mind!
    m34josh, Rekrule and Squiggy like this.

33. Interesting that you feel that way, in my experience regular stouts have always felt less viscous than imperials. Not to say they aren't good just a little bit lighter on the palette. Do you have any specific examples of "regular" stouts that you would compare viscosity wise to an imperial? (id like to try them)
  34. cwehr13

cwehr13 Savant (335) Illinois Aug 4, 2011

I have not been able to find that or their anniversary yet. I did find the Doubld DBA and their collaboration with revolution brewing from the summer still called dos osos.
  35. Ipswich oatmeal stout has a very robust mouthfeel for a non-imperial, I have also found Dark Horse One Oat and Too Cream to have a mouthfeel teetering on heavy. Imperials on the whole have a greater likelihood to be thinker but it is certainly not a given. I've had very thin imperials and nice full non imperials. Obviously if you compare everything to thickest stouts you've had nothing is going feel like it has a great viscosity.
    IcemanCometh likes this.
  36. Got a bottle and drank it immediately. I'm a compulsive cellar-ager and I proclaim this beer aged to perfection and ready to drink without aging. One of the best beers I've had all year. Firestone-Walker makes some of the best barrel-aged out there, and the Merkin is a fine example of their craft. I just wish I could get more of it.
    OneBeertoRTA, smithj2154 and MarcWP like this.
  37. Anything Special to AZ you would Like lol
  38. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Savant (485) New York Feb 18, 2009

This JUST hit Whole Foods in NYC. Where have they been keeping it? Did the train get stuck in the mud for three months?
    myron317 likes this.
  39. How much is WF charging?
  40. hop
    ISO mud-aged Merkin :D