1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone Walker - Velvet Merkin

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by imfrommichigan, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Think of it as a favor. Your beer has been aged free of charge for almost 6 months! On a serious note, that's really strange that it took so long.
    Charliechu likes this.
  2. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (520) New York Feb 18, 2009

$16 each. No limit, from what I can tell.
  3. Yes! I was at the new one in Brooklyn today and they have it. Gonna buy it tomorrow I think (not much interest it seems).

But it runs for $13.99 I think, maybe 14. Is that average?
  4. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Savant (325) California Mar 26, 2013

it's not that thin. all y'all cray cray

fuckin great stout
  5. JJStout83

JJStout83 Aficionado (220) Virginia Oct 15, 2013

Had it on tap at The Birch in Norfolk, VA. Super delicious!!
  6. gkoz

gkoz Savant (465) Arizona Apr 22, 2013

by itself it's good. had it after a black tuesday, tasted like water
    PsilohsaiBiN and wrw5031 like this.
  7. Probably my second favorite bourbon barrel aged beer I've had
  8. readyski

readyski Savant (265) California Jun 4, 2005

damn dude, spread it out
    gkoz likes this.
  9. I had Velvet Merlin and Velvet Merkin on tap last week and liked velvet merlin better. Both had a good thicker mouthfeel thanks to the oats but the merkin just tasted boozier. I didn't get any barrel characteristics at all and after reading reviews of the beer it seemed like this was a trend with having it on tap. Any ideas why the tap and the bottle would differ so much?
  10. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Savant (470) New York May 14, 2013

I saw it in Queens earlier this week, but my wife couldn't find parking. $18 at Astoria Bier & Cheese.

Is it also at WF in Manhattan? I would hate to drop $30 at Beer Table in Grand Central. They had their "case" on Wednesday, and as of this morning there are still 5 bottles there.
  11. I do agree with those who think it is too thin. It's doesn't have the mouthfeel I'm looking for in this style.
  12. IMO - This was one of the most boring barrel aged beers FW has ever produced. Not sure if the batch we received was just off (we received ours much later than most markets), but it had absolutely no barrel character.
    charlzm and JKV96 like this.
  13. Well, of course it did! Your taste buds were probably shot at that point! After a 750mL of 19.2%, other things aren't gonna taste quite as good.
    wonothesane42 likes this.
  14. Count me in the "it's a thin beer" category. I was very disappointed in this offering. Still have 2 bottles that I haven't been able to get rid of.
    SanFranJake likes this.
  15. Get rid of it to me... BM, lets work something out
  16. gkoz

gkoz Savant (465) Arizona Apr 22, 2013

ha definitely true, but both were shared. I guess my point was it is not as noticeable how thin it is by itself. Would I still buy it if I saw it? Yes, it's still better than a lot of ba beers out there. It just surprised me
  17. While I've yet to try Parabola, to compare it to, I'm a fan! I'll buy it next year, finances permitting.
  18. cherche

cherche Savant (420) Washington Mar 27, 2013

Had it last night. Pretty decent but agree it is a bit light on the mouthfeel.
    charlzm likes this.
  19. This.
    I've got three and while I'm ok sitting on them, trading is also an option?
    CommanderOfAwesome likes this.
  20. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (620) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

When was this?
  21. JJStout83

JJStout83 Aficionado (220) Virginia Oct 15, 2013

It was about 2 weeks ago. They were having a huge event for a local "pop-up" sandwich shop and happened to have it.
    Cubatobaco likes this.
  22. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

just chiming in that it was fucking awesome. grab a bottle if you can.
  23. Dicers

Dicers Champion (800) Texas Sep 2, 2012

Did it side by side with parabola. I like Parabola better think its a bit more complex, but my girlfriend enjoy Merkin better thought the softer barrel because of the oats made it more drinkable.
  24. I just googled 'merkin'.

If I ever get to try this beer, I'll tell people it's called 'Velvet American'...
    kerry4porters likes this.
  25. Raucey

Raucey Zealot (85) Virginia Nov 26, 2013

I had it there around the same time and I'm *fairly* sure it wasn't the BBA version - just the normal Merlin.

That being said, it doesn't mean they didn't have the BBA version at some point recently and I just missed it.
    Cubatobaco likes this.
  26. To any of y'all looking for Velvet Merkin, I've got a bottle of 2013 in my cellar that I'm open to trading.
  27. MattXT

MattXT Advocate (630) Massachusetts Nov 23, 2010

Hence the upside down triangle on the label.
  28. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Advocate (670) Washington May 21, 2013

Still bottles on the shelves in Washington ... which seems crazy.
  29. I've always thought that barrel aged beers lost something on draft. From my experience there is a lot more barrel or spirit character from the bottle but I'm not exactly sure as to why that is. Maybe someone here could fill in the blanks.
  30. Roguer

Roguer Champion (890) Connecticut Mar 25, 2013

I've only had Velvet Merkin twice, both on draught after a FW tap takeover. I thought it was really good, but after comparing it to 17th Anniversary, I agree that Merkin comes across a little thin. Still really good though. Man, 17th Anniversary is something amazing, though.

Still never have tried Parabola, sadly.
  31. Velvet 'Merican
  32. It's a lot colder in a typical keg cooler than a basement, and people seem to drink stuff much faster at bars than at home (where even coming out of the fridge you can leave it and come back to it an hour later). I'm pretty undecided on the smells of the bar factor, some might think that's a factor. I prefer clean bars, at least when I'm trying to sip BA beers.

I had bcbbw out of a growler a few weeks ago and I thought it was more 'barrel-y' than the 12oz form. I also nursed it out of a big wine glass throughout the evening, with the growler left on the counter between pours.
    Quickicks likes this.
  33. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Savant (325) California Mar 26, 2013

growler of bcbbw?

just want to make sure i heard that right
  34. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I'll take one off your hands for you!
  35. mmars010

mmars010 Aficionado (210) Virginia Aug 29, 2012

I had the Merlin at the Birch bar a month ago. They never had the Barrel Aged Merkin. I am a regular there. The Merlin was underwhelming. No body, little flavor, no head, probably the worst Firestone beer out there. I have not had the BBA Merkin and I won't bother, as the base beer is not good.
    Raucey likes this.
  36. It's the definition of thin. One of the weakest stouts ever. That merlin should have never seen a barrel, let alone then deserve its own box. Really don't know what they were thinking on that one.
  37. You can't compare it to barrel aged imperial stouts, abv and intensity make it a different ball game. Anderson Valley Bourbon Barrel Stout is a good comparison, and Merkin easily wins IMO.
    wonothesane42 and smithj2154 like this.