1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone Walker - Velvet Merkin

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by imfrommichigan, Aug 7, 2013.

1. It's mostly because Parabola is so much more robust than Merkin. It doesn't help that the only times I've had Merkin was during FW nights that featured several beers including both Merkin and Parabola. Having them side by side, it's hard not to consider it the lesser of the two. Still good, but try to appreciate it for what it is.
    vurt likes this.
  2. I gotcha covered on this one

3. "Recently we were on Twitter and we stumbled across a picture Brewmaster Matt Brynildson posted on May.17th of a bottle of PNC. In excitement we reached out to Firestone Walker via Twitter and the word is yes they will bottle 450 cases but it will not be distributed and will go to publican bars that helped make it."

What are these so called publican bars? I'm guessing they are local bars or are they bars that have had FW limited stuff on tap before? I'm wondering about this since I don't know if I should be on the lookout locally for them or not. A google search didn't really help me either.
    libbey, SubpoenaDeuces and mcaulifww like this.
  4. kevwcamp

kevwcamp Savant (310) Washington May 13, 2010

Funny that you should ask this in a Velvet Merkin thread - the answer is at the end of the Velvet Merkin thread in the Pacific forum:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...velvet-merkin-in-bottles.107038/#post-1585505
  5. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Aficionado (240) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

I only know of bottleworks/brouwers and both toronado locations having PNC
  6. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

Love the name. I use it when a playing partner takes a large divot while golfing. "Nice merkin".
    ERRL710 and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  7. So, I went on a beer run and got to the store with only like 30 minutes left (not a lot of time since I didn't go for anything in particular). As I was purchasing, I asked if they were going to be getting some Velvet Merkin in and the guy said I was the first one to ask about it, but then proceeded to ask for my ID. So, I go for my wallet again and as I pull out my card, I tell him, "You really need to see my ID, right after I asked about Velvet Merkin?" I always get carded and usually have my card out with my money, but it was funny this time. Afterwards, we had a laugh and a short conversation about FW and some beers I had had recently at Max's Hop Fest.
  8. Anyone there at Barrelworks or is everyone at Zwanze Day? ;-)
  9. I went to Binny's (big chain) a couple days ago and they didn't have a clue about this beer. I'll go back on the 14th, they will prob have it in the system by then
  10. Makin a trip to the brewery for this one. Does anyone know the bottle limit?
  11. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Savant (460) California Jul 31, 2010

6 bottle limit. I have 6 in hand. $117 later.
    ERRL710 likes this.
  12. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

No limit.
  13. Went to my local "list" shop and the list for this one was a mile long. Not sure if I'll get one, but I know I was the first for FW 17!
    da_bulls likes this.
  14. Any Visalia area BA's around? I wonder if Howie's will be hosting a FW rep sometime soon....
  15. Here's the tastings they had at the event:
    Velvet Merkin
    Luponic Distortion IPA
    Dos Osos IPA
    PNC Buckwheat Stout
    Madagascar Vanilla Bean Robust Porter
    Bretta Weiss
    Sour Opal
    Lil Opal
    Barrel 66 (4 year old oak barrel aged DDBA)
    Agrestic Ale (sour DBA)
    Parabajava
    Forbidden Fruit (pomegranate sour stout)
    FriarTuckInLuck and Pelican5 like this.
  16. Any one know who signed the merkin posters? I only know 1 of the 3, walker.. can't make out the other 2.

17. Want a Mulligan for your Merkin?
  18. JesseLara

JesseLara Savant (315) California Nov 4, 2012

Merkin event was alot of fun, good beers, good food pairings. The drive sucked (for me), but I did get to stop at Sante Adairius on the way home and they had bottles of Bernice!
    Paccamacca and Dabeel like this.
  19. How does the bottled version compare to past batches on tap? At its best Merkin is possibly my favorite FW beer
  20. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (310) California Feb 4, 2012

Such a great event and line-up. Not too crowded, great food pairings, great people. FW does it again.

Merkin is a little on the thin side compared to many of the big hitters but fills the gap. Stellar beer for what it is supposed to be. IMHO of course
  21. I agree! It drinks superbly. I can't wait to have a side by side tasting of Merkin and Merlin.
  22. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (310) California Feb 4, 2012

Me too!

I must say I do think that Merkin is over priced for what it is. $17 a bomber when we get Parab and Sucaba for $15 per. Doesnt make much sense. The could've done 12oz 4 pks like Central Waters does.

Either way it is a tasty, not so heavy offering :)
    smithj2154 likes this.
  23. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (595) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

Any idea when it might be hitting VA/DC area?
  24. I think the other two are Jeffers Richardson and Jim Crooks
    1424IpA and Rau71 like this.
  25. mctizzz

mctizzz Advocate (510) California Dec 23, 2010

How soon should we expect to see it on the shelves in CA? I just moved here from NY and am accustomed to waiting ~2months between official FW release and finding it.
  26. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (350) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

Probably the day before I hear about it and it will be all gone....
  27. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (350) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

2nd best reason to move back to Cali....1st is In N Out....
  28. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Aficionado (160) Virginia Nov 23, 2012

Hopefully within the next couple of weeks. I have a few feelers out right now.
    Cubatobaco likes this.
  29. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

And then what happened!?!?
  30. I was told "trade" release date is Oct. 1st. by the rep for the central CA.
  31. mikul93

mikul93 Savant (290) California Jan 13, 2011

Not sure. I'll hit up Kenny to see if they have anything in the works.
    The_Feebler_Elf likes this.
  32. Excellent!
  33. buzzword

buzzword Initiate (0) California May 19, 2013

Ditto on all accounts!! Very well-organized event, with the exception of the one porta-potty outside. Nice setup inside, and wonderful beers that'll likely never see bottles.
    JesseLara likes this.
  34. Am I the only one who can't wait for in-store questions on this one?

"I'm looking for Velvet Merkin by Firestone Walker."
    "Yeah we have that." *points to Velvet Merlin*
    "No this is a barrel aged variant of that. They take Velvet Merlin and barrel age it and it's called Velvet MerKin."
    "Yeah bro. This right here." *points again*
    "No it comes in a single bomber. It's boxed."
    "Really? Wow I haven't seen this beer in bombers yet. But I assume it's just as good in a 6er."

*shoots self*
  35. bpasquini

bpasquini Savant (285) California Feb 26, 2013

Just checked the website, on the home page it says it's coming in October, so I imagine that's when they will hit stores

36. Nothing. The story would have come across better in person. Basically, I was asking about a beer that anyone under the age of 21 would never have asked about; yet, he still asked for my ID. I was also buying up his second to last 4-pack of Brooklyn's Monster Ale (retired, on sale, and from 2011) and a 2011 Pannepot. I know it is policy at most places to card if you look under 30, but its not like I was putting a case of Bud Light on the counter. So, we shared a laugh and talked about beer in MD.
    libbey and ehammond1 like this.
  37. Dabeel

Dabeel Aficionado (220) California Sep 10, 2010

David told me we could expect it the first week of October to begin seeing it in stores here in the Bay Area....Just an FYI
  38. Your avatar fits in really well with the story haha
  39. Will this be around SF area next Friday? I will be in town from Chicago and plan on hitting up a couple of stores.
    ChanChan and Nachos4two like this.
  40. It will probably be another few weeks before this hits the shelves, unfortunately.