1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone Walker - Velvet Merkin

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by imfrommichigan, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Santa Clara liquor had them a few days ago . $17.99
  2. Got the last bottle at Bevmo in the east bay area (Brentwood/Antioch)
  3. ERRL710

ERRL710 Savant (280) Illinois May 6, 2013

If anyone is looking in Chicago. Theres still 20 or so bottles left at Evolution Liquors just save me one more :)
  4. Total Wine in Chatsworth,CA had a few bottles as of last night and Liquor Mart in Whittier,CA did as well.
  5. carps4

carps4 Aficionado (100) New York Feb 27, 2012

This ever hit NYC?
  6. I still haven't seen it in down in south jersey, I've been going to the liquor store way to frequently looking for it. Did Cali and Chicago buy it all?
  7. Absolut

Absolut Savant (395) California Sep 19, 2011

wades wine in agoura, ca has on tap. along with ddba
  8. Did this ever hit the DMV area, or is the horse and buggy still making its trek here?
  9. Now I know why every bottle of Wookey Jack I look at is months past its best by date
    monty_capuletti likes this.

10. Watch it hit shelves here when XVII is hitting shelves elsewhere.
  11. cestlavie

cestlavie Savant (475) New York Oct 27, 2011

how about Velvet Merkin or even more importantly, PNC in the NY area??? want PNC badly...
    Christopper likes this.
  12. cestlavie

How about PNC as well?? If anyone has, I have some King Henry to part with... PM
    dianimal likes this.
  13. Closest PNC bar to NYC is Monk's Cafe in Philly I believe.
    cestlavie and wonothesane42 like this.
  14. cestlavie

Do you know if they have any left? guess i have to call today.. but i doubt they will..
  15. kjrod20

kjrod20 Savant (360) New York Jul 16, 2005

I haven't seen it yet and I've been trying to find it.
  16. Lmk if anyone wants some Merkin. Message me and maybe we can set something up
    kerry4porters and Diotima like this.
  17. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (650) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Drinking right now, it's all right, probably my least favorite FW BA beer.
  18. I can bring you some NG when I visit the district in a couple weeks.
    :)
  19. ...And, I have a new top beer!

20. did the thin mouth feel kill it for you? i feel like its lacking there as far as stouts go. i'll just stick with parabola
    CaptainQ and mychalg9 like this.
  21. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,025) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Completely agree. It's a nice beer, but I also found it a bit thin and lacking as far as bourbon barrel aged stouts go. Much prefer the parabola as well...
  22. Thanks for the feedback. I wonder how a year in the cellar will treat Merkin....
  23. Probably make it even more thin and less barrel-prominent. I don't know why so many people automatically assume that aging will help most beers.
    This beer is perfect now. Buy seven of them and drink one alone each night this week. It's that delicious.
    dianimal, Swervine44, MrDave and 2 others like this.
  24. JimGraz

JimGraz Zealot (85) New Jersey Aug 29, 2012

Conrad distributes it much of South Jersey. They have not been doing a great job. Jersey on general gets this about 1-2 months after the release, but Conrad has been trailing that by over a month. Burlington County will get it before Camden and south. Still should be coming, though. Just not for a bit.
  25. SouthernClub

SouthernClub Aspirant (25) Oklahoma Oct 16, 2013

Wanting to try this
  26. Excellent. I found one place in Phoenix that had it, but I had to drink it there :(... so I did. But I was lucky enough to find it even a couple dollars cheaper elsewhere. Seems to be sold out now though.
    kerry4porters likes this.
  27. Let's hope it makes it to beer stores soon. The local beer store employees are going mad due to people asking for it every day :)
  28. charlzm

charlzm Advocate (710) California Sep 3, 2007

29. I could part with one if anyone wants to set up a trade? Thought it was yummy but too thin. wish it was a bit thicker.
  30. nophunk

nophunk Aficionado (205) Louisiana Nov 27, 2011

I had it at a share drunk and was uber unimpressed. I drank one sober the other night to see if my palate being wrecked was the cause, nah. It's good. It's super easy to drink for a BA stout, but it is too thin and lacks bourbon in my opinion. It's an alright beer, but not worth the effort it takes me to get it.
    djkuback likes this.
  31. Abbbp

Abbbp Savant (385) Texas Mar 9, 2013

What? That's stupid
    MrDave and dianimal like this.
  32. iBorracho

iBorracho Zealot (75) California Feb 8, 2013

That's BS, they're holding onto to it so they might charge $10+ over retail. IDK if Firestone is aware of this or if this is acceptable. I think the consumer should be the one to choose whether or not to cellar.....but what do I know.
    dianimal likes this.
  33. MarcWP

MarcWP Savant (425) Arizona Dec 2, 2012

That's the beauty of Velvet Merkin. It's literally Velvet Merlin aged in barrels. And it's so smooth and easy drinking. I can see why some people might be let down after dropping $15 on it expecting a mouth burst of flavors and viscosity. But if any research was done on the beer then you would have known what to expect.
    BrettHead, m34josh, Rizalini and 2 others like this.
  34. Hell, I didn't do any research, and I wasn't let down by mouthfeel! I haven't even had the Merlin yet. Just enjoy it for what it is. Which is: A damn good beer, in my opinion!
    MrDave likes this.
  35. That's because it's meant to be a session bourbon barrel stout, right? I hear that's the newest trend ;-)
  36. 8.5%? That's my kinda session, right there!:D
    MarcWP likes this.
  37. Sure beats 211!
  38. Waldomega

Waldomega Aficionado (105) Nevada Jan 15, 2013

It's literally flooding the shelves here. Store across the street from my house has cases of the stuff. I don't buy a any more of it because if just rather buy the sixer of Merlin for half the price
  39. It's long gone at my store. I think we only got 2 cases, though.
  40. gkoz

gkoz Savant (430) Illinois Apr 22, 2013

pics of the flood
    cestlavie likes this.