1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Firestone walker vs Stone brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mhksuccess, Dec 20, 2012.

1. mhksuccess

mhksuccess Member

I myself would have to side with Firestone walker and that is based on the following
    well for year round productions I have to side with the Union Jack over Stone Ipa
    then the Double Jack over Stone Ruination although Ruination is one of Stone best beers
    Then the Velvet Merlin is better than Stone Porter the Stone beer is just pretty average
    although I did like the Stone vanilla porter and Stone pepper porter not sure of the name lol
    Then comes the anniversary specialty brew that Firestone puts out yearly anniversary, parabola, sucaba, that double dba it is just worlds ahead of Stone even the Stone double bastard bourbon barrel aged was good but still below the quality last I will have to mention that collaboration Stone Mint chocolate stout was amazing
    but i have to side overall with Firestone Walker
    tabascosigned likes this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

For me this isn't even close. Firestone Walker.
  3. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Member

Stone IPA > Union Jack
    Ruination > Double Jack
    Wookey Jack > SSR
    Pale 31 > Stone Pale
    Velvet Merlin & FW Porter > Stone Porter

Both their seasonal BW's and RIS's are fantastic, Stones aren't Barrel Aged, while FW's are, so it's hard to do a direct comparison.
    Price-wise they're about even.

I guess you can say I love them both and they're both pretty damn even in my book.
    cwreay90 and arniepnminne like this.
  4. tabascosigned

tabascosigned Member

I like Stone...a lot.

but, I LOVE FIRESTONE WALKER.
  5. jacewg

jacewg Member

Firestone. Every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
  6. Kaz646

Kaz646 Member

I'm a big fan of Stone, but anything barrel aged by Firestone makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside
    Jules11788 and fujindemon74 like this.
  7. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Member

Well put. To be more precise, I like Stone better for IPAs (IPA beats the hell out of Union Jack and Ruination edges out Double Jack); but as much as I love IRS, FW wins out for me with Velvet Merkin, Velvet Merlin, Abacus, DDBA, Parabola, and the Anniversary beers.

Gotta give Stone lotsa credit for Suitable for Cave Aging. It's incredibly unlikely, but I'd be freaking stoked if they ever bottled that one!
    westcoastbeerlvr likes this.
  8. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Member

Cracked open a DDBA this past weekend.
    Was as blown away as I was when I opened my first DDBA earlier this year.
  9. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Member

Let me fix this for you:
    I don't think it is even close. Firestone Walker by a landslide.
    luwak, justintcoons, Brunite and 3 others like this.
  10. Pelican5

Pelican5 Member

FW /
    luwak likes this.
  11. Northlax3

Northlax3 Member

I'm not totally sure how this can be a comparison. From a consumer perspective, of course FW has better representations of the styles, according to the majority. Though, Stone's prices are AMAZING for what they offer.

FW Barleywine ~$12.99/22oz. vs Stone Barleywine ~$7.99/22oz

FW RIS $14.99/22oz vs Stone IRS ~$7.99/22oz

FW IPA ~$6.99/22oz vs Stone IPA ~4.49/22oz

While i prefer most Firestone Walker styles over the Stone equivalent, i have purchased much more Stone in my trips to the store simply because they offer very good prices for their very good beer. FW offerings are very good, slightly above Stone IMO, but is it worth paying almost double the price for that difference? only sometimes.
    arfenhouse, fox227, tjkinate and 6 others like this.
  12. musicman7070

musicman7070 Member

Just picked up 2 Union Jack's to be my first IPA I will ever drink. Good choice?
    fox227, sukwonee, Hugonaut13 and 4 others like this.
  13. mychalg9

mychalg9 Member

FW lays the whomp down, IMO. Quite honestly I could live the rest of my life without another Stone beer and be perfectly content.
    StoutChaser7D, a74gent and luwak like this.
  14. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Member

I'd have to pick FW based solely on their barrel aged releases and that's what I'm into mostly. They have Stone by taste and price. I think the Quingente's should be $20 max, they're not even a full bomber if memory serves. And I say it a few times per week, but Velvet Merlin is probably my favorite non barrel aged stout on Earth. However, Stone makes better IPA's IMO.
  15. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Member

If you're comparing Sucaba to Old Guardian and Parabola to IRS, the answer is emphatically YES.
    denver10 and jbeezification like this.
  16. Northlax3

Northlax3 Member

yupp! it just won an award at the European beer rating event thingy... im forgetting the name.... but ya its amazing.

Not to a college student :p Also, availability is an issue. I can get Stone RIS and Old guardian pretty much anytime at most stores. FW Parabola and abacus/sucaba are much harder to find, as well as limited brew schedules.
    fox227 likes this.
  17. tabascosigned

tabascosigned Member

holy hell, yes.
    musicman7070 likes this.
  18. Preluderl

Preluderl Member

Acquired my first ever Firestone Walker (Parabola) brew just last eve via a trade with SMason. Excited to try it.
  19. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Member

firestone walker is delicious but rarely worth the $$$
    yemenmocha likes this.
  20. sil1

sil1 Member

Firestone no contest they're not in the same league
  21. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Member

I would sorely miss the absence of either of them if for some reason one went away.
    SageO and SalukiAlum like this.
  22. Pecan

Pecan Member

I'm split on beer versus beer, but would have to say I'm a bigger fan of Stone overall. Giving them the edge as a brewery because of variety, mainly due to their collab series.
  23. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Member

Me, FW and Stone are in a polyamouous relationship. We all love one another and if/when they get together, it's magic!
    pinkgrenade and hctap00 like this.
  24. Mavajo

Mavajo Member

Firestone, purely because of their barrel-aging program. Stone's barrel program is somewhere between "crappy" and "non-existent."

If Stone was gone tomorrow, I wouldn't care.
  25. Levitation

Levitation Member

neither one distributes their barrel-aged stuff to california anyway.

i used to be a big fan of velvet merlin. stone has nothing that comes close. it's the one thing that tempts me to break my firestone boycott...
    barleywinefiend likes this.
  26. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Member

By quite a bit.

Lukcy Basartd > most beers I've ever had. FW's barrel-aged stuffs are hard to get on the East Side.
    powpig2002 likes this.
  27. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Member

Is that FW's fault or your distributors?

I know my Deschutes distributor is awful and we don't get much, if any, Reserve Series stuff.
    I can't fault Deschutes if my distributor isn't ordering any of it.
  28. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Member

If they are less than two months old.
  29. kojevergas

kojevergas Member

I like Velvet Merkin and Unfiltered DBA. Levitation is good on Stone's side.

I'm not a fan of either brewery, but if pressed I'd probably begrudgingly side with Firestone Walker. Their restaurant makes a good steak.
  30. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Member

Yup, but I dont like their DBA at all though.
  31. musicman7070

musicman7070 Member

They are! :) Bottling date is 11/16/12!
  32. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Member

As you should be...

I had high expectations when I cracked my first Parabola and they were quickly met.
    Upon letting the brew warm a bit, my expectations were easily exceeded.
  33. Levitation

Levitation Member

this is hearsay, but here's the word from a guy who talked to a fw rep: they, at the brewery level, are prioritizing out-of-state markets.

[​IMG]

last release, san diego stores were allotted (not ordered) 1 case. i even asked a buyer how true that was; he ordered 10 cases and received 1. the distributors want to move their inventory, so logically, the short supply must be up the chain, from the brewery.

i think they make great beer, and i'd buy a lot of it if they made more of their special releases available in quantity here. but they don't, so i don't.
  34. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

Both in my top 10-15 breweries in the US. I actually give a slight nod to Stone if I had to pick. Enjoy By might have been my favorite beer of the year!! Stone RIS might be my favorite non barrel aged stout too! Firestone Walker nails it with their barrel aged beers and I love Double Jack! Can go wrong with either :)
  35. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Member

And what barrel aged stouts & barleywines are a significantly better value?
    I'm not trying to be flip, I'm just really curious.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  36. grumpy

grumpy Member

My favorite from either brewery is "Punctuation."

Sorry.
    Etan likes this.
  37. StarRaptor

StarRaptor Member

Firestone by a mile
    flayedandskinned likes this.
  38. fredmugs

fredmugs Member

Can't get FW in BF Indiana so Stone wins by default. Union Jack is really good. Double Jack is awesome. DBA is meh. So far that's all I've had.
  39. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Member

This thread is very interesting, i've realized i can't really post an opinion because, besides FW 16th & Stones 12.12.12, i haven't had either breweries beers in quiet a while. I think it's about time to crack open some old favorites and have a side by side tasting.
    luwak likes this.
  40. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Member

I'd have to say Firestone. I came up on craft beer from Stone and I still love them (especially their collabs and anniversary beers), but I anticipate Sucaba, Parabola, Anniversary and now DDBA every year. Stone makes some great beers but they are basically IPA people and while I still love a great IPA, I have grown past them a bit.