1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone walker vs Stone brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mhksuccess, Dec 20, 2012.

1. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

I'm in the minority, but I don't care for FW's hoppy beers much, where as I do quite like most of Stone's. I cream my jeans over FW Anniv beers, Sucaba...and have never had a -bal Stone beer, so FW gets the nod for me.

2. Regular offerings - Stone
    Special and seasonal releases - Firestone-Walker
    Overall - Slight edge to Stone

Not big fan of FW's Union Jack, DBA or Pale 31. They're good, but I don't think they're great. OTOH, Velvet Merlin and Solace are two of my favorite beers. Their Reserve Porter is also delicious.

3. I get the differences in availability & price between the two.
    Also, I totally remember shoe-string budgets.
    Even now, Parabola & Sucaba are special occasion brews for me.

But comparing Stone IRS to FW Parabola is like comparing a Honda to a BMW.

If price & availability are very limiting factors for you, you'd be better off drinking Old Rasputin or Siberian Night over Stone IRS and Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot or Insanity over Old Guardian.

4. Well, pretty much all of them are better values.

I mean if I can get 4pks of insanity or two or three bombers of Sebago bbal barleywine for less than a Sucuba, it's really not worth it.

BCBS is a better value than Parabola, and tastier too I think.

Anniversary blends are oh-so-good - and not really something you find from anyone else. But the price is killer. I'm hard-pressed to pull the trigger, I think 14 was the last I bought.

Gosox8787, hardy008 and Knifestyles like this.
  5. Wow, I'm the poster child for Weyerbacher Insanity. How the eff did I overlook that? Been a crazy day.
    Insanity is cheaper, almost as good and much more available, at least in my neck of the woods.

However, BCBS is about the same as Parabola when it comes to all of those factors for me in my neck of the woods.

6. That's a bummer. BCBS was supposed to be draft-only but we've actually been blessed with a lil' bit here in RI, and it's $21 a 4pk at the good places. Parabola is $15+, so we're talking $21 vs $30+ for equal oz.

Yeah, insanity is where it's at.

7. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

No reason to necessarily make them "compete" but I don't think I've had a beer from FW that was anything but wonderful. Ever.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.

8. Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot was very sub par imho. It is the only beer from weyerbacher that has disappointed me.

But on the stone/fw front, i agree that FW beers are better! i stated that in my first post. but for the average BA who wants a beer or two everynight, if i was paying FW prices, i wouldn't eat meals :( Stone is still great beer and because of the price, they will continue to gain market share compared to FW.

I'm not sure the Honda to BMW comparison is fair. maybe BMW to Lamborghini :p So that just further justifies the point of FW and Stone not being fairly comparable in the first place, since their in a bit separate segments of the beer market.

9. I don't care for Blithering Idiot myself, and can afford to keep myself flush with Insanity, but it is cheaper and available year-round.

I used Honda vs BMW because Stone IRS is "dependable" and something I always enjoy, but FW Parabola is fun & elegant.

I'll reserve the Lambo for something like King Henry or Rare in the event I'm ever lucky enough to taste either.

10. newbrew

newbrew Zealot (90) Missouri Jun 7, 2012

I side with stone, it was my eye opener to great craft beer, while FW has a wider selection in store, and is close behind stone IMO, I still find myself going back for stone every time, and not only because of the price, I will pay good money for a good beer any day of the week, but the way a sublimely self righteous makes my mouth orgasm time and time again , there is just no way I could take FW over stone, I just haven't been wow'd so to speak by FW yet, but there are still a few beers on my list I need to try before making an official decision

11. RandyKemka

RandyKemka Savant (290) New York Dec 13, 2011

Stone is a very good brewery with a lot of great beers. They do a lot of collaborations (Mint Chocolate Stout was great) and have a very wide variety of beers. That said, the beers that FW do well can blow most Stone brews out of the water.

When I figure in price, Stone is like buying a good generic while FW is like buying brand name. Sometimes the generic is great and gets the job done, but on special occasions you want the brand name.

Parabola, Sucaba, Double dba, Anniversarys, etc. are better than Stone's best by a wide margin.
    Stone to me is a very good, but FW is great.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  12. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

If it's delicious wouldn't it be worth the money? Or do you mean trade value?
    :confused:

13. I mean the money.

Hell, Cristal is delicious but it's not worth the money.

14. When Ruination first came out, it was one of the most sought after beers on this site. The first time I tried it, for the first two sips I thought "shit, this might almost be too hoppy."

In my mind Stone basically invented the double IPA, and they really like to fool around and keep trying new stuff. I'd say they've had a bigger impact on craft beer.

hardy008 and scootsmal like this.
  15. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

If "FW Barleywine" = Sucaba and "FW RIS" = Parabola (and I'm assuming that's what you mean because FW doesn't bottle any other barleywine* or imperial stout), then you seem to be conveniently ignoring the fact that Sucaba and Parabola are both 100% barrel-aged beers. There's the biggest reason for the price difference. It isn't a fair comparison.

* Well, there's Double DBA, but again, that's a 100% barrel-aged beer.

16. How about a FW-Stone collab.?

[​IMG]

Oh and SSR > Wookey :D

17. ^^^ THIS ^^^

Although I'd put Union Jack over Stone IPA

18. It's an unfair comparison because they're two different price-points. It's like saying, "What's better, Toyota or BMW?" They both make perfectly fine cars in their own right, but they're going for two completely different things.

That being said, I think the distinctions are obvious:

Stone smokes Firestone Walker on all things hop-forward, and Stone's Imperial Stout is, in my opinion, one of the best, most balanced, most delicious non-barrel aged stouts on the market, and the $7 price-tag and easy availability is icing on the cake.

I think Firestone Walker's regular offerings, the Porter, Wookey Jack, DBA, they're fine, but somewhat forgettable. Their reserve stuff, however, the barrel-aged beers, the anniversary ales, all of that jazz, that shit is just unbelievable. I'm pretty hype-resistant. I never really buy into the pants-jizzing fanboyism that comes along with a new brewery blowing up around the country, but their products are worth the craze. I think FW15 could go toe-to-toe with any other beer brewed, Westy XII, JW Lees Harvest Ale, you name it. It was that impressive.

AxesandAnchors likes this.
  19. Some threads have worthwhile comparisons, but not this one. They both are excellent breweries, each just occupies a slightly different niche. Different preferences in IPA are going to define the union jack v. stone ipa discussion, same as pretty much any other style the two both make. Firestone is known for amazing barrel-aged beers, Stone is known for very good aggressive beers.

Why there's always a need to have an "X vs Y" mentality on this site is beyond me.

20. Firestone Walker wins hands down!

21. NumberNone

NumberNone Savant (275) Maryland Mar 12, 2012

For me, Firestone, but both are great breweries. Very glad to have both available.

22. I agree Firestone - the only thing Stone wins on is "where would I rather chill for the day with my friends." Cuz their brewery is awesome, altho FW does have a nice restaurant now.

23. I do love me some Firestone Walker ...

24. I havent had the chance to try anything from FW yet, but Stone does do some really great barrel aged stuff. Although its not in distro, if its a taste of whats to come, Im excited. (Suitable for cave againg, Stonewall) On the flip side, I cant wait to get my hands on some FW.

25. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Savant (475) California Jul 31, 2010

Both breweries have been going for the same amount of time now. When you look at the development of flagship beers, barrel programs, Anniversarys, seasonals, and NOW a sour program!? Firestone Walker keeps pushing the envelope in high quality, exciting offerings. With the addition of the Pivo Pils, and this years 805, Stone just isnt keeping up. Ruiniation Anniv. and Enjoy By were great offerings, and next years "odd beers for odd years" are sure to be interesting. However that 16 from Stone was awful, whereas 16 from Firestone is golden. Word has it we will see Velvet MerKin in bottles next year, which is another amazing stout (Velvet Merlins big brother).
    Firestone Walker my friends.

26. No comparison, Firestone >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stone.

Double Jack makes Ruination taste like miller high life.

27. Firestone Walker by a long shot. Stones best brews don't even come close.

28. The 805 is a negative on FW's resume IMO. It seems to be cannibalizing the few craft taps we have around here.

I am super excited about the Pivo though!

29. Firestone Walker for sure! Stone makes some decent brews... but nothing that even comes close to brews like the Anniversary series, Parabola, Abacus/Sucaba, Double DBA, and Velvet Merkin. Both do hops very well and should be applauded, but FW is miles ahead with the BA brews!

davelag likes this.
  30. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Savant (475) California Jul 31, 2010

805 is a solid offering for those new to craft brew and is doing a GREAT job of bringing macro drinkers over to the land of great beer. Theres a reason its taken over all the central coasts taps and is flying off the shelves in shops and grocery stores. 805 has been poured in the taproom for years under "honey blonde" and was so popular that they bottled it and distributed kegs. I agree, its not my favorite FW beer, but the community has responded so well to it, its hard to dismiss. BTW, the Pivo Pils is awesome.

31. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Exactly!

32. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

33. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

I completely respect and enjoy both breweries for what they do well. Every BA FW I've managed to try has been worth the hype and honestly mostly worth the premium price that Barrel aging entails. Stone does great IPAs like most here have said. As far as special/anniversary beers, Ruination 10th when fresh was F'ing divine. I could not drink enough of it. The low reviews I think are mostly due to people trying it too late. I am sure there are some that didn't like it, but damned if I ever met any of them.

Bottom line, they both do what they do extremely well and as craft beer lovers (which I assume we all) we are lucky to have access to both. And for those that don't, move :).

34. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Its the difference between a BMW and a Maserati.

Firestone Walker is a higher quality, more expensive, sexy ass brewery. Stone is old reliable, makes quality, decently priced beers and is consistent as anything. Some people like consistency and some people like sexy, its all about what you like.

MontereyBay831 likes this.
  35. It is a great beer

Go Mountaineers

Preluderl likes this.
  36. turfy

turfy Savant (350) Texas Mar 17, 2010

This

flayedandskinned likes this.
  37. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 Savant (420) Illinois May 29, 2012

It's comparing apples to oranges... Stone has the better IPA's (IMO), but Firestone's barrel aged beers have a whole different level of complexity that Stone can't match. However, I can pick up a Stone RIS for $6.99 and although it's not barrel-aged, it's still damn delicious. Bottom line... we need em' both!

Momar42 and flayedandskinned like this.
  38. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Firestone. They are one of my favorites and also my number 1 "wish they distributed in my state" brewery. Stone is definitely great but Firestone murdas it.

39. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Sophie's Choice here and I ain't going there.

MilkManX and lonewolfcry like this.
  40. Absolut

Absolut Savant (430) California Sep 19, 2011

stone prices, especially the RIS, and the enjoy by series made this closer than it would otherwise be.