1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone walker vs Stone brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mhksuccess, Dec 20, 2012.

1. The FW I've had have been awesome, Parabola being one of the best O face beers I've had, but theyre not in CT so they lose by virtue of shoddy distribution :) THeyre both awesome. Forcing a choice only begs for an argument. I want both. I think the FW specialty seasonals may be more consistently "special" than Stone's but Jesus, the Lukcy Basardt was pretty damn fantastic this year and some of Stone's anniversary beers have been absolutely outta this world. That said, I would LOVE to try some Wookey Jack. It's all good stuff.
  2. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

Both are good but id grab a stone year round over an FW year round anyday.
  3. Yeah, to me this isnt even close. I prefer Firstone all day.
  4. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (760) Florida Feb 1, 2012

I've only had a few things from Firestone walker and almost everything from stone

Verdict, Firestone! By leaps and bounds.
  5. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

FW is 14,902,876 times better than Stone. It's a proven fact, look it up.
  6. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

Give me a break.. I respect Firestone a lot, but in terms of class Stone is up there in that top 2nd tier of American breweries with Walker being middle of that 2nd tier. Stone's IPA is and has been a benchmark for American IPAs. Ruination is top shelf as well. Stone Smoked Porter = average?? Are you kidding?? Its not an Edmund Fitzgerlad or Fouders Porter, but it's easily a top 25 am porter and with the american porter style being so good that's a real acheivement. What seperates Stone is their ability to hit home runs and while not every vertical epic has been to my liking the 12.12.12 Belgian style Noel holiday ale should be released every Christmas season. It's that solid. Old Guardian is above average and SSRA is a key figure in the American black ipa movement. It may be the best. Their limited release big IPAs are dandy as well with ruination 10th, enjoy by, etc. Idk about everyone else, but Cali-Belgique is a favorite of mine.. A great take on a Belgian ipa. but most of all what stone has that Firestone doesn't is a family of bastards.. Arrogant Is a hall of famer, double is great, Oaked holds its own and lucky is a good rotational brew in any lineup. that's 4 of the best American strong ales in the world. So a benchmark ipa, a great double ipa, a nice porter, 4 of the worlds best strong ales, a superb take on a Belgian ipa, an above average barleywine, a decent apa, a class Belgian strong dark ale on shelves right now(12.12.12), a solid levitation ale, and Americas true black ipa not mentioning they deliver with limited editions throughout every year... This is just too much for Firestone Walker IMHO.. Don't get me wrong FW is a great brewery, but the quality, class, and uniqueness that flows from those Stone liquids I give them the nod with really no contest. Firestone walker do some good things, but in terms of top to bottom its a no brainer
    PittBeerGirl likes this.
  7. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Firestone is clearly 1st tier imo. I'm interested to know what breweries you think are 1st and 2nd tier respectively though.
  8. Bobheed

Bobheed Savant (355) Texas Dec 27, 2010

Two of my favorite breweries, but Firestone probably is my favorite. The only edge I would give to Stone is their single IPA. I think it's better than Union Jack, but in all other comparable styles they both make Firestone has at least a slight edge to me. What really sends it home though is Firestone's barrel-aging program. Parabola, to me, might be the best beer I've ever had and the notes from their barrels makes any of their BA ones really great. Like I was saying though, both great, and this is all one man's opinion, but Firestone is better to me.
  9. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

sure....but you only say that having had amazing bees from everywhere.
    To address the original question, is there even a comparison between the two?
  10. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (340) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

FW wins for most entertaining, elven head brewer.

Stone wins for most entertaining, elven co-founder.
  11. a74gent

a74gent Savant (395) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

Stone is to be respected, but FW is to be emulated. FW does it all right in my book...how you run an operation, how you handle packaging, how you treat customers, doing a variety of styles well (and nothing poorly)...they are the SoCal version of Founders IMO and that is a very high compliment.
    Bobheed likes this.
  12. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

My one gripe with FW is that their taproom is not really a special experience. When I go to a brewery, I want to try something I can't get by walking across the street to Whole Foods.
  13. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I like them both.
    fredmugs likes this.
  14. I am a fan of both. I do not drink much Stone these days though. Stone does not also make beers like Abacus, Parabola and other wonderful BA beers. FW also make some really great IPA's.

Firestone Walker wins for me. Even though Stone Enjoy By 12/21 was one of the best IPA's I had this year.
  15. a74gent

a74gent Savant (395) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

If this is the case, I'd agree with you. I think Founders (sorry to keep comparing) does an ok job with this, but not a great job either. I'm looking forward to getting up to NoCal as soon as possible for RR and FW!

An additional thought on Stone: First batch of Drink By on tap in Chicago...one of the best beers I've ever had!
  16. Double Jack should be a brewery only limited release one bottle per person $20 a bottle its so damn good.

FW!
  17. while i'd give stone the nod in terms of numbers - more really good to great beers, FW has a higher concentration of amazing beers. union jack and double jack are on short lists tallying my favorite ipas and dipas, respectively, and their barrel aged stuff is nothing short of world class.

it's a tough comparison though, i feel a little like picking one is to slight to the other. both are fantastic breweries IMO.
  18. Tough call. Each brewery has it's merits.
  19. I haven't had enough FW to make a fair judgement on this- I was severly underwhelmed by Parabola and the Union Jack I had wasn't that awesome either. I have a XIV in my parents cellar and I look forward to reviewing it.

With Stone having 5 beers on the "beers of fame" list this is like comparing apples to oranges. Stone is a huge operation and consistenly produces great beers and ships them all over the country.

I can go to the store and pick up Stone IRS, one of my favorite overall beers, off the shelf for a good price. In order to get ahold of anything by FW I have to trade for it- and I usually have to offer something pretty limited
  20. jforeman

jforeman Aficionado (200) Texas Aug 13, 2010

21. Stone for everyday drinking, FW for those special occasions. World class brews from different categories from both breweries.
  22. socon67

socon67 Advocate (625) New York Jun 18, 2010

FW is one of my favorite breweries overall. They don't produce nearly as many solid beers as Stone, but because I love Double Jack, Sucaba, Parabola, and was floored by Velvet Merkin, I'd have to give them the nod.
  23. Firestone does better heavy ales. Stone makes better pale ales. Enjoy By being a good example.
  24. Firestone !!!!!!
    I do love that stone imperial stout though. But is it Parabola love????
  25. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I'll take Stones year round lineup over Firestones, but Firestones limited releases blow stones out of the water....but then again, Stones limited releases don't cost me like $20 per bottle....but then again, P A R A B O L A IS SOOOOOO GOOD ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :eek: This question is making my brain hurt.
  26. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

Stone all the way. I like Firestone and all, but for me this comes down to solid regular releases. All of Firestone's year round offerings are about the same as Sam Adams'. Good, but nothing special. All of Stone's year round releases are great, in my opinion.
  27. bifrost17

Random question, unrelated to the thread, but is your avatar a pic of a glass of Marshal Zhukov? I always wonder this when I see you post on here.
    BostonHops likes this.
  28. Pzellot

Pzellot Aficionado (120) California Nov 17, 2012

This is a good thread.
    I'll post about the beer styles I like...
    IPA: I love Union Jack, Stone IPA is not even on my radar.
    IIPA: I don't love Ruination but given the choice I'd pick it over Double Jack all day. I'm really picky about IIPAs though.
    RIS: I don't love Stone RIS but would have to choose that one since FW does not have a non-BB RIS (that I know of).
    BB-aged RIS: FWs Parabola wins in that category which Stone kinda forfeits since they done have a regular offering. I have heard that their BB RIS is amazing but have not had the pleasure of trying that yet. Did they only release this once in 2008 or something?
    FW>Stone
  29. BCBS, although you wouldn't guess it from the head. (at least twice the size what i usually get)
  30. So the real question is; on my West Coast road trip, if I only get the chance to visit one of these breweries, which one should I go for?
  31. bifrost17

Haha oh damn, when I pour BCBS I'm lucky if I get a one finger head. Marshal Zhukov is probably the darkest beer I've ever had, looked identical to your avatar pic.
  32. FW has Double DBA and Sucaba...absolutely friggin brilliant w/a year to a year-and-a-half on them. Stone's (cheaper) RIS and Old Guardian (though I prefer the older vintages w/English hops) are awesome w/2-3 years as well. Honestly, I'm not sure you can really compare these breweries, at least on their special offerings; the price difference is (at least locally) fairly large. Regular and Oaked Bastard are really tasty (I'm not huge on Double, and Lukcy is ok), and I like the Smoked Porter, and Stone has it in terms of price/quality, but FW's two barleywines (DDBA and Sucaba) are the closest to King Henry quality I've found thus far...yet, I'd take Stone RIS over Parabola six days a week and twice on Sunday...
  33. FW for me. But I REALLY like Oaked Aged Arrogant Bastard and Sublimely Self-Righteous.
  34. pest

pest Savant (375) Ohio Sep 2, 2007

FW all day, this one isn't even close for my palate.
  35. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Man that is tough. I really like both. Gun to head though I would go Stone. I do love Velvet Merlin!!
  36. stone should just make the enjoy by series year round and then maybe just maybe it will be better than FW. nope FW still wins IMO
  37. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Most of what made Stone great was during the Lee Chase years when he was head brewer. When he left the compnay took a dump in terms of new innovative beers. FW continues to hit them out of the park. Stone's Vert's/Anni's and Collabs have been, by and large, massive failures in terms of tasty drinking beer. Ruination 10th and Drink By are the two lone standouts.

FW by a mile and a half.
    davelag likes this.
  38. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Even though I like Double Jack better than anything I've had from Stone I like several Stone offerings (Arrogant, IPA, Ruination, Sublimely) more than Union Jack (Pale 31 and DBA aren't that impressive) so Stone wins on a beer by beer comparison.

Wookey, 16th Anniversary, and Parabola could certainly change my mind.
  39. I'm hoping Stone ramps up their barrel aging program in the amount they produce. Just stick some RIS in bourbon barrels and call it a day.
  40. I like Double Jack, Parabola and Abacus better than anything Stone makes regularly. Additionally, Wookey Jack > Sublimely Self Righteous and Union Jack and Stone IPA are pretty even. Firestone Walker kills it here overall. That said, Stone's IRS Aged in Bourbon Barrels is still one of the best beers I've ever had, and the BA Coconut Porter was damn good too.