1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone Walker, wow.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raynmoon, May 22, 2012.

1. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

No doubt, FW is one of the very best. Just had this year's Parabola last night and was fairly blown away. Also really liked their FW15 anniversary beer this year. (Haven't tried Sucaba yet--only have one bottle and I'm savin' it.) Their ESB is one of the great Brit-style pales in the US, Pale 31 is one of the best Cali style pales, and their Reserve is one of the best porters. No wonder they won best mid-sized brewery again.

Plus, David Walker's a nice guy.

2. I guess I could've phrased that question a little better. I know they can't be compared head to head being completely different styles. The question should have been, is Parabola as good of an RIS as Abacus is as an EBW....
    Hopefully they have it on tap at the tasting here on Thursday.

3. Yep. Parabola is a world class RIS just like Abacus is a world class BW

4. mylar

mylar Aficionado (180) Pennsylvania Dec 13, 2011

Their beers are amazing. I first was introduced to the brand ( not the beer itself) about a year so when I was at an anual training for the army at Fort Hunter Ligget. Being from Pennsylvania I was very unfamiliar with everything out there but when I saw the beer in the PX on the base something was telling me I've heard od it before but didn't think much of it, espescially since I was told since I was at a training I wasn't allowed to even purchase any alcohol. Well a couple months later I a visiting some relatives in philly and came across some union jack. Had I known at the time when I was in California on the training what I found out it philly....it would have been worth the article 15....I would have left all my shit there and bought enough to fill a duffel bag if I could have. It's till a nice treat whenever I go to philly, too bad philly is as far of a drove as it is a flight to San Jose from where I'm at....

5. socon67

socon67 Advocate (680) New York Jun 18, 2010

Firestone Walker is on the short list of my favorite breweries, period. Really enjoyed anything I've tried from them and some like Double Jack and Velvet Merkin have been pretty much awesome.

6. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (500) California Aug 13, 2011

Merkin, the barrel aged one, or the original Merlin?

7. socon67

Had a fresh growler of the barrel aged Merkin recently, and found it really jaw-dropping. Just pour that baby into a snifter, let it warm a bit, and all is good.

8. raynmoon

What's the abv on that puppy? I'd bet they'll add it to their reserve series next year. THAT would be cool.

Also interested in how Double DBA will be.

9. Firestone Walker has been one of my favorite breweries since I discovered them on a visit to California four years ago. I've visited the brewery the last two years during trips to the Central Coast. Great beer! And, picked up a variety case of 24 bottles (Pale 31, DBA, Union Jack, and Velvet Merlin) at a California Costco for about $24. How can you beat that? Only wish it were that available and that cheap here in Central Pennsylvania!!!

10. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

This thread just made me go out to my chest freezer (temp controlled) and get some Pale 31 (best pale on the planet) and a bomber of Dbl Jack!

afrokaze likes this.
  11. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Sometimes I feel like the only one who's very underwhelmed by Firestone's offerings. But if you're a hardcore fan of the brewery, check out their offerings at the Yardhouse chain. I do like Velvet Merkin and unfiltered DBA, but the others I've had (including Abacus) have been very mundane.

12. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

"Firestone Walker, wow" about sums it up. quickly moved up to a top 5 brewery for me since they started distributing to boston a year or so ago.

13. N.H just started getting Union Jack last week and is probably the IPA in the state now. Sorry Green Flash, but $11.99 for six not four and a easy to read bottle date. Just wonderful!

14. bhir

bhir Savant (260) Pennsylvania Nov 1, 2011

Firestone 15 is one of about 4 or 5 beers that awakened something in me. It was the first FW beer I'd ever tried and was in disbelief that a beer could taste like that. Sucaba, Parabola - they both have that special barrel aged character that I only taste in a FW beer. I've had plenty of BA beers, but there is nothing quite like what comes off of the FWs. Add to that the fact that Union Jack and Double Jack are masterpieces and you have yourself a brewery who I'll gladly spend a lot of my money on.

Despite being a self-admitted ticker, I'll always go back to the FW beers.

15. Do you guys know that a Merkin is a pubic wig!!

Rau71 and BilbosNuts like this.
  16. B/c of hype. I bought my bottles at half that price and worth every penny.

17. TenHornsProud

TenHornsProud Savant (295) Colorado Aug 13, 2010

I really appreciate how consistent the quality is from this brewery. All the beers are spot on, and the reserve series is amazing. Add that Pale 31 is one of my go-to beers (what other pale ale, pray tell, is as good as this?) and you have a great brewery for sure.

18. Giovacchini

Giovacchini Savant (255) California Dec 16, 2011

I just picked up 2 bottles of parabola yesterday for 15.99 each. Basically it's because of the hype

19. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 18, 2011

:eek: NO WAY

20. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Never thought I'd learn so much on a beer forum...

Chickenhawk9932 likes this.
  21. socon67

Lists at 8.6%, and felt even lighter. I didn't find the BBA made it awesome; it is darned good on its own.

22. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

WTF? Report this store to Firestone Walker. That is a 100% markup. Should be about $15 a bottle. I got a bunch @ $11.99 on Sunday because Whole Foods had a 20% off all beer sale. Magnificent.

23. The same store also sent friends and family around to other stores to snag all of their supply as well. It's just sitting in the cooler and has been since the last release of it. I definitely plan on speaking to the FW rep tomorrow night.

24. draheim

That's the lamest tale of beer-related douchebagery I've heard in a while. If I'd known about this a week or two ago I'd have personally brought it to David Walker's attention. He's been up to Seattle for the last two Parabola releases, last year Bottleworks & this year Chuck's Hop Shop.

25. Apparently its just the hyped up beers, PtE was being sold for $15. Everything else is decently priced.

26. draheim

You're in California? I can get Pliny for $5 in Seattle, easily. This sounds like a story from NYC or DC...

27. "Technically" I'm in California. However, I'm in Bakersfield. It's pretty much the wasteland of California. Any distribution by truck throughout the state at some point travels through the town but doesn't stop. All the stores blame the one distributor here, and the distributor blames the stores for not ordering it. There's a pretty large group of craft beer connoisseurs trying to rid the bud light stigma that's attached to the city, but getting gouged and tugged around in the meantime.

28. I picked up a bottle of 15 in a trade early this year - haven't tried it yet... nice to hear good things.

29. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

Well if you like Dirty Bastard you will go crazy for Backwoods Bastard!! BTW, Backwoods Bastard is similar in taste and smoothness to Sucaba and KBS is very similar to Parabola!!

Chickenhawk9932 likes this.
  30. bhir

bhir Savant (260) Pennsylvania Nov 1, 2011

Kind of agree about Sucaba/Backwoods, but don't agree at all on Parabola/KBS. I'd personally drink Parabola over KBS any day of the week.

31. Thank you, I will keep this in mind.

32. largadeer

largadeer Champion (790) California Sep 24, 2006

You know that Firestone dates all their beers? Kind of hard to see, but it's printed in black ink on the bottle neck.

33. Yeah ridic....$13.99 at my shop

34. I bought a 6er of union jack last week and was very impressed. I'm currently drinking a double jack and i'm in hop heaven.

35. Firestone Walker is a wonderful brewery. I cant say I have had a beer from them that I have not liked. Drinking a Union Jack right now.

36. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Thanks. No, I did not realize that. That's good to know and should make sure I don't make this mistake again in the future.

37. MerkinAdvocate. Check the ISO/FT forums over there.

On a beer related note, I gave Solace another shot recently and it was much better than I remember in the past.

38. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

yeah, it's a really great brewery

ive had union jack quite a few times before, even tho its not available here, but never had sculpin...recently picked up sixers of each and i honestly have to say i prefer fw by a lot. it's one of the best ipa's i've ever had.

excited to try parabola.

39. raynmoon

I've only had that beer once and I found not a single thing wrong with it. It was even a little aged, but so smooth and juicy. Absolutely zero alcohol presence. That and Pliny were the best I've had for the style.

Stockfan42 likes this.
  40. Cyrano41

Cyrano41 Savant (295) Virginia Aug 7, 2009

I was impressed with the union Jack. I'll have to give the rest of the lineup a shot.