Firestone Walker, wow.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raynmoon, May 22, 2012.

1. Just brought a Wookey Jack back from CA and can't wait to try it.

2. DBA is one of the few FW's I simply can't get down. I like nothing about it. I've had a bomber my friend brought over a couple of months ago that I've been trying to get someone who doesn't know any better to drink. I don't like throwing out beer unless it was that Costco kirkland drek...

But the vast majority of FW is awesome. Parabola, Velvet Merlin, Union and DBL Jack, Sucuba, Abacus, etc...

3. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

Imbibe. I saw that when I was there for work and Almost punched the glass. What a ripoff.

4. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (335) Colorado May 31, 2011

My only advice is to try drinking it warm, like around 60 F. The first time I go. it, I didn't like it either. Later, I found a bottle sitting out and drank it at close to room temp. It was much better. I really like the beer now, and don't drink it straight outta the fridge.

5. Had a chat with the FW rep at their tasting about it. He didn't appear to be all that thrilled about it, but said they can't control the price at the retailer. They miraculously came up with a full row of 2011 release just in time for the tasting too...at an ultra affordable $59. o_O

6. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

I wonder if people are actually paying that? Firestone keeps lots of vintage bottles for events like this, and for inside their taproom restaurants, but 59 dollars is almost as bad as 29 for this years vintage. It seemed like a decent selection, but some of beers are out of their distribution area so I am not sure how they get it, and some of the stuff was pushing the 6 month mark too.

7. A recent bottle of the 15th Anniversary Ale was possibly the best and most complex beer I have ever had. I balked slightly at the $25 price tag..looking back it was worth every penny.

8. beerguy2784

beerguy2784 Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2012

Regarding aging, is it true that you have to age firestone at 44f or below? I age everything at cellar temp (~60f). Should I switch the firestones to the fridge? Are there any other breweries that need similar treatment?

9. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I store everything cool, my beer fridge is set to 50, and if I want it colder I pop it in the Fridge. I think dark and cool at 50-60 is probably about right. I believe I read cellar temps are considered around 55 or so.

10. I've never cellared anything at that temp & I also never heard that about the FW ageing temp...then again I only aged mine about 4 days until I buckled under the pressure and opened it lol

11. dukes

dukes Aficionado (180) Apr 2, 2012

Drinking my first union jack. A damn good IPA at over two months old.

12. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

if you're really "aging" it, as in trying to get it to change with time, you want it at cellar temperature. a lot of people (e.g. me) think parabola / abacus get worse with time. this is just our opinion though.

(non-advisability of aging at fridge temps isn't opinion though; it slows down the aging process, so it's difficult to see what the point is)

13. I'm in SE VA this weekend and I know FW is available. Anything in particular I should look for? Any seasonals out?

14. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Parabola is a exceptional BA Imperial Stout and is out now. Wookey Jack was also released recently and it's a very tasty Black Rye IPA. Double Jack, a DIPA, is fantastic and is fairly easy to find. The distribution of FW releases varies depending on the area of the country. We still have yet to see Parabola or Wookey Jack here in Chicago.

gothedistance likes this.
  15. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

"(non-advisability of aging at fridge temps isn't opinion though; it slows down the aging process, so it's difficult to see what the point is)"

True, but temperature isn't the only factor to consider when aging beer or wine. Spikes in temperature are a bigger concern than the temperature you're aging a beer at (up to a point), I know many wine collectors will store and age their wine in an old fridge, just because it keeps the wine at a uniform temperature. Sure, it slows down the aging process, but everything in the fridge will generally age at the same pace, and once the wine reaches whatever is perceived to be the "sweet spot," it will stay there for a longer period of time. At least this is what I've heard and read.

16. at 5.5% ABV, it's not a "session beer" even by beeradvocate's comparatively high limit of 5.0%

17. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

VA only gets the "reserve" series, ie, bombers/specials. '12 Parabola and Wookey Jack hasn't hit VA yet.
    you might still be able to find some Sucaba on a shelf in a low traffic store.
    the anniversary brews won't hit till November or so.

18. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

i'm fortunate enough to drive by the Firestone Walker brewery every so often. fresh pale ale and union jack on tap are right up there with the best (and I've had most all of 'em) hoppy offerings out there.

19. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (570) Florida Sep 13, 2011

I still have not had their year round offerings! I have Parabola, Abacus, Sucaba, Anniversary 10-15, Double Jack and Union Jack. One day I will get to try the regulars.

20. Giovacchini

Giovacchini Savant (255) California Dec 16, 2011

Ive seen a bunch of 15th anniversaries on the shelf near me for like 23 bucks. I already have one is it really good to the point where I should get more? I'm thinking I'm gonna just get more Parabola.

21. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

I live in SE VA (Chesapeake / Va Beach) and the only FW I've seen in the area is Union Jack, Double Jack, and Walker's Reserve (Porter). I've seen NOTHING else. Parabola and Wookey Jack should be hitting within the next couple weeks.

22. Heady Topper, FBS, KBS, Pliny are all session beers to me. ABV doesn't make something sessionable or not.

23. "sessionable" is a problematic word due to its subjectivity and variability, but in any case is not the same as "session beer". if heady topper is a "session beer" to you, then to someone else, 120min IPA or utopias can just as easily qualify as "session beers". in which case, the term becomes meaningless and has no distinction from just calling it "beer".

24. turfy

turfy Savant (385) Texas Mar 17, 2010

On vacation this summer in Colorado, we'll be swinging by Colorado Springs on the way back to Texas just to get into FW's distribution area to stock up on Union Jack and Pale 31!

25. I agree sessionable is subjective. I pretty much don't drink any 5% beers other than sours and gravitate towards 6.5> abvs. Pretty much anything in between 6-10 is sessionable to me.

beerguy2784 likes this.
  26. beer all day, sex all night

dukes likes this.
  27. I don't think that term means what you think it means.

28. That recommendation is just a guideline to keep the beer in top form. Most beers are always best off in a fridge at that temp or below. Some higher alcohol beer can be aged at somewhat higher temperatures, but above 60 is almost always not optimal for any long-term storage. The brewery ages the higher alcohol stuff long-term in cold storage, and I think that they age the best under these conditions. Change slows down at lower temperatures, but the change you get is more positive, versus faster and not as optimal evolution at room temp.

29. mtlasley

mtlasley Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 27, 2012

I picked up a Double Jack while on vacation and it truly blew my mind. Later that month while crossing the state line I found a bottle of Sucaba and I've been holding in the cellar ever since. Is it worth it to break into now or should I save it for a special occasion?

30. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

Union Jack is excellent. Right up there with SN Torpedo and Schlafly AIPA for me as my favorite go to AIPAs.

31. nc41

Double Jack revisited. Bought one in Pa visiting my parents, and knew just from the smell it was right on. The one I bought 8-9 months ago was shit, probably old and a malty mess, bought two home with me, which was all they had. Fresh this is a great brew and easily right up there with the better DIPA's.

32. Pale 31, Solace, Union Jack, Double Jack, Parabola, Abacus, and Velvet Merkin are all in my top 5 favorites for their style, and Firestone Walker is my default favorite brewery as a result. It is truly impressive how they can completely nail so many different styles of beer.

33. Not sure is Parabola a good trading beer? Was able to get my hands on one bottle.

34. bhir

bhir Savant (260) Pennsylvania Nov 1, 2011

I find it to be the worst trading beer - you'll never get something in a trade that you'd enjoy more.

darkmoon66 and bifrost17 like this.
  35. nc41

It's a great brew to drink or trade, not too many that are better.

bobbidylan likes this.
  36. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Honestly the only brewery that every beer I've tried gets an A. I really don't understand why Parabola doesn't get more hype, I mean I know people love this beer, but I feel like it doesn't get enough attention for how damn amazing it is.

37. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

DO NOT TRADE, trust us, save this for yourself

bobbidylan likes this.
  38. mikul93

mikul93 Savant (295) California Jan 13, 2011

I stop at some spots in Bakersfield on my way up to Kern River. Well, I got to talking to one shop owner and he cannot stand Imbibe. He said that spot ruins it for the rest of the local shops in the area. He didn't elaborate. I've been to Imbibe once..... ONCE.