1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Firestone Walker XVII Anniversary (Seventeenth Anniversary)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by phooky, Aug 29, 2013.

1. phooky

phooky Savant (420) New York Jan 23, 2010

2. Wow! This year is going by so fast.

3. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I've never had a Firestone Anniversary. I want one so bad. Hopefully this will be the year

charlzm likes this.
  4. Jonada

Jonada Savant (485) New Jersey May 23, 2012

Any word on what the exact blend is yet?

5. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (550) Washington Dec 13, 2011

wow already?

6. Kreko7

Kreko7 Savant (305) California Mar 5, 2013

Excited for this!!

7. MadDogMD

MadDogMD Aficionado (120) Arizona Jan 7, 2013

I have an extra 16th if you wanna trade. Don't know what you have in MA, but BM me if you're interested in a trade...

timc13 likes this.
  8. pisano

pisano Advocate (565) Massachusetts Sep 18, 2007

Not sure what the final blend is but they posted some great photos from the blending session on Facebook.

Schwantz, Retsinis and LSMroz like this.
  9. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Savant (395) Texas Jul 26, 2012

That looks like a fun tasting group.

Schwantz likes this.
  10. try Granite Liquors in Weymouth. They have a great selection and tend to get the hard to find beers.

11. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Ever year the Anniversary beers put a hurting on my wallet & FedEx account. Sixteen was the best fresh since Thirteen IMHO, hope this one keeps that up!

MontereyBay831 likes this.
  12. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (630) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

This will be my first year trying to find Anniversary. Definitely excited to try this and add it to the cellar. :)

13. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (630) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

I'm sure that would have been a fun experiment to be involved in!

14. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

sometimes i wish i had facebook for things like this, sometimes

albertq17, Beerontwowheels and Kreko7 like this.
  15. Infinite1

Infinite1 Savant (360) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

I need to make sure to get my big 3
    1 to drink.
    1 to cellar
    and 1 share

16. Never had last years:( Better hunting this year I hope. The are so good at Barrel Aging. I will be sipping 15 this Saturday.

17. FeiJai

FeiJai Zealot (75) California Jul 10, 2013

Is there a more accurate ETA on XVII or are we still going off of the usual late November tip? Looking forward to this one for sure, XVI was one of my favorites in recent years.

18. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Savant (300) California Apr 15, 2013

Is anniversary beer the new seasonal beer?

19. benbking

benbking Savant (285) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

I saw them at BWE, didn't pull the trigger, then tried Firestone 16 at a fest. I had regrets over not purchasing. I suspect if you want 17 bad enough, you'll track it down when it comes out.

20. it's not hard to find in Boston, I've nailed down each year's since FW entered our market (edit: without the crazed KBS-style hunt, or a hunt at all, really). 2 caveats though: (1) just from my own observations the releases have become progressively more scarce, and (2) you'll be looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $18-22/22oz. not something I look to load up on but absolutely treat myself to a bottle, maybe 2.

21. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Savant (485) California Jul 31, 2010

14.5%? Thats the highest a FW Anny has seen.

22. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 5, 2012

15 - sold out in 7 months
    16 - sold out in 7 days
    17 - sell out in 7 minutes?

2beerdogs likes this.
  23. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Savant (325) Ohio Apr 29, 2013

Sold out where? I saw cases of 16 in New Jersey last month.

jbeezification and saxclar123 like this.
  24. There is plenty of FW 16 still around

smithj2154 likes this.
  25. wardenclyffe

wardenclyffe Savant (250) Virginia Sep 10, 2010

Care to share where you have seen it? I am just outside DC and would like to stock up since I only have 1 bottle.

26. Good to see people who know how to buy beer!

smithj2154 and ColdOne like this.

27. Interesting, I didn't see a single 16 in my area last year but saw several 15's still on shelves from the past year. Not sure if they just didn't send as much or it sold quicker. For the record I loved 15 and if anyone wants to send me a 16 for some MA locals I'm sure we could work something out. XVII will be good I'm sure, interested in seeing what the components are.

28. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

This is what makes me sad about how stupid distribution is. Here the Anni beers, Parabola, Sucaba, DDBA etc sell out in a day with one bottle limits while some markets swim in the stuff. I mean how hard is it to track sales and allocate stock accordingly?

(yes I understand there are different distributors in different areas but I still hate the system)

29. Unfortunately it wasn't around here :(

30. pisano

pisano Advocate (565) Massachusetts Sep 18, 2007

...and a fun exercise in math for the guy with the calculator. ;D

31. Still got 15's up there?

Max's got a few bottles for Rare & Obscure, but sold out of it in the first few hours. Did you all prefer 16 on tap or in the bottle (for those that have had it both ways)? I've only had it on tap, but I know where a bottle is.

FantomeOpera and mcaulifww like this.
  32. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I'm sure I'll be able to grab one if I pay attention. I just happened to miss the boat in the past. Still kinda disheartening to hear that it's sitting on shelves in some markets

33. I've got 15th and 16th, so I guess I need 17th.

No1Smitty likes this.
  34. Not sure about exact blend but I did see "Belgian Quad" written on their dry erase board in one pic.Very interesting.

35. I haven't seen it recently around here although one (very overpriced) store might still have a couple.

36. yeah I hear you. funny they entered our market with 14 and its availability was practically year-round... 15 likewise sat forever. then I noticed a significantly lesser amount last year with 16, so I guess we'll have to see how 17 plays.

tell you what though, easily one of the yearly releases I most look forward to.

37. First thing I noticed was the ABV. Wow. Then I looked at the white board in the blending event facebook gallery that FW posted and noted that there is only one beer on that list that has an abv of over 14.5% and that is parabola. In order to reach their goal of 220 bbls they couldn't reach that ABV given the available bbls.
    91 bbl parabola @ 15% + 129 bbl of a combination of the 14%ers would result in a blend with an ABV of only 14.41%

I suppose they could be making less than 220 bbls, but it does seem like the final blend will need to be parabola heavy to get their high abv.

[​IMG]

bld81 likes this.
  38. rhertan

rhertan Aficionado (215) California Jan 22, 2008

What is interesting about that is it seems to be tied to Sticky Monkey which has always been called an English Barleywine, but does have additions of Turbinado Sugar which they say gives flavors reminiscent of Belgian Candi Sugar on their website description of Stickee Monkee, wonder if so much so they decided to change what they consider it....for what it's worth I wish it was the one true "Belgian Quad" type beer they made, Saucerful of Secrets that was on that board as that is one of my all time favorite FW beers

MisterKilderkin likes this.
  39. Planning for potential future releases of Sticky Monkey and Helldorado, it also makes sense to classify Monkey as a Quad. Sucaba covers the English Barleywine style already.

40. Earlier this week my usual beer store put out two bottles of 16 that they were saving...

They were both gone in a couple hours.

I totally should have bought one.