1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

Firestone XVI in MA

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Rob1110, Nov 29, 2012.

1. I heard we might get shafted again. Spoke with my local craft beer merchant and he said Seaboard is getting a VERY limited amount. I forget how many cases but I heard it was under 10. Anyone else hear anything about this? Is Firstone going to be the next Founders, where people wait in line to joust over who gets to buy a bottle?

2. AdamP

AdamP Savant (425) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2012

It's available at Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont. No idea on how much they have though. Cheers!

Rob1110 likes this.
  3. If only the MA distribution issues were limited to Founders... Massachusetts seems to have a uniquely remarkable selection of craft beer, unfortunately accompanied by a uniquely horrendous system of distribution.

This might get more responses in the New England forum by the way

4. Julio's just posted on FB that they have "a small amount of Firestone Walker XVI."
    ...... For what it's worth

5. True, it's a complete clusterfuck around here at times. Sorry, didn't realize there was a NE forum.

Psychmusic likes this.
  6. I heard there's some at the Gordon's in Watertown.

7. Blanchard's in Allston got it in last night.

8. It's hitting most places this week but it was the amount that people are getting. Maybe my source was wrong but it seemed like this one might be really limited. 14 and 15 were all over the place for months. I'm just hoping this one is as easy to find. I'd like a few and have a buddy living overseas that wants a bunch as well. We'll have to see.

9. I am pretty sure I can still find 15 on the shelves...wait a few months and there will be another overload....happened with Sucaba...

10. 15 is still on shelves. Sucaba/Abacus sat forever, and can still probably be found with some digging. Parabola was a screw-up. Double DBA is still everywhere.

I'm not that worried about 16 - it's an expensive bottle and the anniversary bottles just don't sell very well around here... Even if the amount is smaller than in the past, it should be plenty.

11. brikelly

brikelly Savant (440) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

Ball Square has it in Somerville too, one per customer.

12. i was just coming to post the same thing. XV and Sucaba are still around on the shelves on the North Shore. I'm looking forward to trying XVI but am in no hurry to track it down. too much $$$ being spent in December - I'm glad some of the FS brews sit around. I'm still confused as to what happened to Parabola? I never saw it anywhere at the usual shops but my brother-in-law found it wegmans. odd....

13. Yeah - the FW brews are doing what they should do with the right price and quantity to make them sit around for a while.

Parabola was an epic distribution screw-up by FW - supposedly MA's shipment went to other states, and then they tried to scrap together a small bit to send a very small amount into the state. Basically we didn't get anywhere near as much as we did last year, or as much as they intended for us to have. And then I think it just ended up at some odd spots.

14. My South Shore Craft rep told me that his cases would be split so I would probably end up with 3 bottles, total.

15. I saw about a case-worth of bottles sitting on the shelf at Martignetti's last friday. Or do these come in those 6-bottle cases? In that case, there were about 2 cases-worth.

16. Russell's in Amherst got some in, no limits.

17. They definitely used to be 6 bottle cases for the Anniversary, 12 bottle cases for the other barrel beers. No idea if that is still the case.

18. I was told 6 bottle cases.

19. I grabbed two bottles of Sucaba today.

Why did they change the name?

20. There was a Cali winery with a wine by the name of Abacus. Easier to change a name than fight a lawsuit...

21. This stuff still isn't around the North Shore. Looks like Boston Craft kept most of it and screwed Seaboard (I know, they're the same company but the North isn't seeing any of this). Which Martignetti's? I'm hoping to land a few more bottles. All my local shops got between 3 and 6 bottles and everyone is complaining that this one is MUCH more limited than previous years. I just don't get it.

Everyone up here is crossing their fingers and hoping for another shipment. They've been told a secondary allotment is on its way to Seaboard but nobody knows just how much. We should hear sometime this week or next.

In other news, looks like BCBS just hit shelves. McAloon's in North Andover just got 5 cases. I've heard it's going to be making the rounds in the next week, so keep your eyes peeled gents.

22. It seems like it might be a little more limited than previous years. I'm not 100% sure but it seemed like the XV came in two waves last year? Some of which is still sitting around. I know that last Friday at Julio's I picked up a single and they said they had 3-4 bottles left after that, which may or may not signify that XVI came in more limited quantities than XV (they had XV for weeks).

23. Martignetti's in Brighton.

24. I hope there's a second wave of this. I was just informed that I MIGHT be getting 1 bottle.

25. shueyy

shueyy Aficionado (180) New York Nov 28, 2010

Spirited Wine in Lenox, MA has it got a bottle the other day.

26. jaasen64

jaasen64 Savant (480) Massachusetts Jan 15, 2012

Salty Pig has it on draft. $13 for a 10oz glass. Also saw it in the South End for $21/bottle and in Coolidge Corner for $18/bottle. I forget the names of the shops though.

27. sunset grill in allston has it on tap, 10.99/10oz

28. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (380) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

Their menu says 13oz., which if true, is actually better than the per ounce price by the bomber (I paid $20).

Hardly feels like a deal though.

29. you're right it is 13oz. i was there yesterday and opted for bourbon county instead (also listed at 13oz)- it was filled right to the brim of a relatively large tulip glass, i wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't ultimately closer to 14-15 oz considering those glasses typically leave room for a head in their sizing estimates

30. It's actually quite common with expensive bottles to see a better price per oz on draft than in the bottle. I don't fully understand it myself, but I've seen it a lot. The FW anniversary beers, Lost Abbey barrel aged stuff, Cisco sours... <shrugs>

31. Really missing $7.50 10oz pours of Monomoy Kriekā€¦

32. It's frustrating that on the South Shore the reps are still "figuring out the allocations" while the stores closer to the city are already sold out of their supply. My guess is that I'm probably being strung along and won't end up getting any but they don't want to upset me or something. Figures.

33. I wrote them an e-mail and heard back from the Northeast distribution manager and was told that they initially intended an allocation of 270 cases to MA but they had to cut their numbers by 20% because they ended up with less than they originally planned. I don't know what's up but by numbers I've seen around here, it looks like they cut our allotment TO 20% rather than BY 20%. I may just go back to wine. The beer scene has gotten a bit ridiculous lately.

34. Just heard Seaboard only got 5 cases of Sucaba this time around. If this is the case, that's 3 big releases in a row that FW has screwed us over on. 3 strikes and you're out. I'm done with this brand. They may make good beer but the prices have reached insane levels and the rarity makes them not worth it.

35. Prices aren't that bad for what they are. The "each store only getting 2-6 bottles" thing is starting to get frustrating though.

And in regards to the original topic thread - I didn't see XVI anywhere at all. I was only even able to get a bottle because I was fortunate enough to walk into my go-to liquor store and the beer/store manager said "hey we're getting XVI in a couple hours, want one?"

36. Lord Hobo had it on tap at least all of last weekend through Wednesday night...I kicked the keg on Wednesday. Can't say no to a free 6oz pour.

Oh, and the pours were $8/12oz. Best beer bar in Boston/Cambridge. Don't go there.

pjl44 likes this.
  37. Prices are ok but keep going up. It's the "We want to be white whales too" mentality that is making me hate them. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to take a day off from work, wait in line from 2am and partake in the gladiatorial games outside a liquor store to see who gets to buy a bottle.

Sorry to hear about XVI. That's where my frustration with them really began. I was pissed about our "misallocated" shipment of Parabola but then they screwed us on XVI and gave that lame, BS excuse. Now Sucaba? Done.

38. With all due respect, I've paid the same for every FW I've ever purchased: Parabola and DDBA = $15, Sucaba = $16, All anniversary beers = $20

39. The prices have held steady out west - $15 for Sucaba/Parabola is a regular price. If the prices are going up considerably in MA over the last couple of years, that seems to be less on the brewery and more on the middlemen...

40. Could be but I remember paying around $13 for Parabola/Abacus in the past and now they're up to $15/16 and impossible to find (even though I know of one store with a few Sucaba left from last year) and paid $16-18 for XIV but XV and XVI went up to $20-22 for a bottle. That's not drastic, but that's an increase in my eyes. Again, it's the fact that we're no longer getting a reasonable amount that's really frustrating. I'd spend the cash if I could. No product, no cash.