1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First Beer of 2013?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mychalg9, Jan 1, 2013.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I worked the door at a local brewpub last nigh, so my first beer of the year wasn't until this afternoon. A 2009 Double Diamond Ale from Dicks, in Centralia, WA.

2. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (580) Tennessee May 25, 2010

First beer was a Lindemans PĂȘche for a midnight toast. Today I had a DeuS as my first review of 2013

3. GilGarp

GilGarp Advocate (510) Colorado Mar 14, 2007

21st Amendment Fireside Chat

cjoc83 likes this.
  4. Kelp

Kelp Advocate (520) New Hampshire Mar 6, 2008

Lawson's Maple Tripple Ale to toast the new year.

5. I had a Heavyweight aftermath ball dropped.

6. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

7. Great Divide: Yeti Imperial Stout. Sadly didn't get to it until this evening... New Baby/night feedings = early bedtimes.
    [​IMG]

8. Anchorage brewing Galaxy White IPA. Found it randomly on NY eve, decided it would be my first of 2013. Delicious!

9. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Well after drinking copious amounts of Celebration last night (and way too much tequila), I just drank one Woodchuck Amber cider. It's pretty much all I can handle right now. Decent(ish) way to start the new year, though...

Salute!

10. I undrank a few Red Racer IPAs at about 9:00 this morning, does that count as first beer?

PetieP and jmgrub like this.
  11. JimmyW

JimmyW Savant (270) Illinois Feb 17, 2011

They were all so good. Each with their own unique difference. The '06 impressed me the most. A lot of chocolate. Big, big flavor, but with a touch less thickness and sweetness of normal BCS....and I mean this in a very good way. It actually had a cleaner finish than what you'd normally get. So friggin' tasty! There were no let downs here. An '06 - '12 BCS vertical was a great way for us to finish out the year!

12. It going to be BA Speedway Stout on thursday nite! Cant wait to finally try this beer!

13. Enlightenment Biere de Brut for me

14. haruspexvic

haruspexvic Savant (265) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

havent had mine yet, but it will be a backwoods bastard after work tomorrow night!

15. Gobzilla

Gobzilla Savant (455) California Apr 21, 2010

BA plead the 5th

16. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Mine was ZoetZuur... a flemish red w/ cherries which was a collaboration beer between De Proef and Michael Jackson (The Beer Hunter). I've had it before, but I can't think of anything better than a solid Belgian sour to start off the new year! Earlier in the night (2012) we popped a Rodenbach Vintage 2009. Cheers!

[​IMG]

17. Thomas Hooker Chocolate Truffle Stout.

18. [​IMG] rare and 23year pappy

semibaked likes this.
  19. Started off 2013 last night out with a friend and had
    Mikkeller Black Hole (on tap) alternate choice for DeMolen Hel & Verdoemenis which had kicked
    Pliny The Elder

we then split bottles of
    Dieu du Ciel Aphrodite
    La Trappe Quad Oak Aged Batch #8
    Port Older viscosity

a fine night out to kick off the year

20. ndelpego

ndelpego Disciple (60) California Feb 20, 2010

Ruination from the keg in my garage. I was planning on drinking a Westy 12, but I forgot to chill it down.

21. Have yet to have one! Be sure that it will be a good one though.

22. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

Even more Jesus.

23. beerboy9960

beerboy9960 Savant (250) Oklahoma Jan 28, 2011

2012 Abyss

24. Was drinking champagne at midnight. Hate the stuff but had to go with tradition. Had a beer nightcap when I got home for my first beer of 2013. Finished the last of a Troegs Variety 12 pack. Troegs Pale Ale. Much tastier than champagne.

25. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

I got home late from a NYE party with the family. It was midnight when I opened a 2007 Below Decks Barleywine.

Cheers!

26. Sesmu

Sesmu Savant (300) Massachusetts Feb 28, 2007

Peak Organic Hop Noir

27. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Trying to get over this cold I have to have my first beer of the year, it is going to be Zombie Dust for sure. I pains me that I can't drink it now, I can hear the hops oxidize as I type this.

28. It was a La Trappe Quad for me.

29. I think I was at the same place you were that night. Had the Black Hole as well though I wasn't worried about the Hel & Verdoemenis because I have a bottle at home.

30. Unibroue Quelque Chose. Very different. Almost no carbonation at all, and it was intentionally left that way...says so right on the bottle (and says it can be consumed on the rocks).

31. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

Cigar City Jai Alai in a can, gotta go classy

32. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

Enjoyed Melange #3 as the year changed over...pretty good beginning.:D

33. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

My dearly departed Black Lab was named Taddy after this fine ale.

videofrog likes this.
  34. Vertical Epic 12.12.12

I was hesitant, as I did not enjoy 11.11.11 at all, but It was damn good. Glad I have two more bottles to stash away.

35. RandyKemka

RandyKemka Savant (290) New York Dec 13, 2011

My first of 2013 was a Sang Noir...Oh, it's going to be a good year!

36. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

One of the last home brew Scotch Ales I have left from my first try at home brewing. I bottled it on Memorial Day and have tried bottles through out the year to figure out how it ages. Last night's was smooth and just smokey enough. I'm pretty damn proud.

37. Bitches Brew, 2011!!

38. Ruination

39. 2011 Black Ops.....if it even exists :cool:

40. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (725) California Dec 15, 2012

I just grabbed the first bottle in the frig yesterday... Lagunitas - A Little Sumpin' Sumpin'