1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

First beer to blow your mind.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ledzeppelin4, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Channel10Geuze

Channel10Geuze Member

i was lucky enough to have my first black tuesday a few months back... a 2009 bottle. mindsplosion
  2. drewschi54

drewschi54 Member

Rogue....voodoo maple bacon doughnut....thought it was just a novelty but holy schniekies its freakin awesome! U can clearly taste everything! All hail rogue!.....and stone...
  3. stonermouse

stonermouse Member

Heady Topper, a few years back. I will always remember that first sip of the unrelentingly flavorful, hop floaty-sporting, mind blowing brew off-tap, in the cool atmosphere of the old restaurant. I would love to relive that moment.
  4. ironchefmiyagi13

ironchefmiyagi13 Member

For me it was Hitachino White Ale. The fact that they aged it in cedar sake casks blew my mind and got the ball rolling. I never knew anything like that was conceivable in beer. It's been a loving relationship ever since.
  5. blivingston1985

blivingston1985 Member

Lion Stout or Dirty Bastard. Had so many since that I can't keep them straight.
  6. SometimesIfart

SometimesIfart Member

New Holland Mad Hatter. At the time, I couldn't think of a better beer in existence. It's still great, But it just doesn't compare to more recent IPA's.
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  7. zrbeer1579

zrbeer1579 Member

Dreadnaught for me. It got me into craft beer. I got it for my brother-in-law because I heard he like FFF. I didn't even know who they were. I had absolutely no idea what to expect. This is not because it was my first IIPA, I didn't know beer could even be like that. Popped the cap off and a huge aroma was smacking me in the face. "Whoa", I said as I was trying to realize what has happened. I may be over-dramatic about it, but I could go on and on. Strangely, I have not done a formal review.
  8. hoparoundnw2337

hoparoundnw2337 Member

Parabola batch 001. A friend gave me a bottle right at the time I was beginning to taste my way through and into the craft beer scene. That barrel aged goodness opened my palate to a whole new world of craft beer. Mind blowing to say the least...
  9. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Member

Breckenridge 471 dipa. I was so new to craft beer and ipas had just started to interest me. Still a great "go to" beer
  10. regularjohn

regularjohn Member

i remember going to a bar call spitzers near bleecker st in new york (a few years ago), i tried the otis from sixpoint and that was incredible...i was hooked on sixpoint for a while after that. didn't even know about them prior to trying that beer. and i was just getting into craft beer around that time too
  11. bismarksays

bismarksays Member

St Bernardus. I was practically brand new to good beer, mainly drinking wheats (Leinie's Honeyweiss, 3F Gumballhead, Boulevard Wheat) and none of them were available at the bars I was going to in my hometown (having recently moved back from college). I asked a beer lover where I should get a beer. He suggested a place. I asked him what what I should get there and he told me to just have the bartender pick a beer for me.
    St B's blew my mind.
  12. marisatheyounger

marisatheyounger Member

cantillon '07 lou pepe Fram
  13. Lethal04

Lethal04 Member

Founders Breakfast Stout last year. Have had my mind blown several times since then now having access to Bell's and Founders.
  14. slarrage

slarrage Member

Berkshire Brewing Co. 'Steel Rail Extra Pale Ale'
  15. DHS1029

DHS1029 Member

First craft beer I ever had was FFF's Gumballhead. To this day, this beer is still very near and dear to my heart, as if you couldn't already tell from my avatar.
  16. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Member

17. 3frog

3frog Member

In the 80s--Old Peculier/McEwans Scotch Ale
    90s--Celis White/Hop Ottin
    oughties--Papago Hop Father/PtE
    my how times have changed...