1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First beer to blow your mind.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ledzeppelin4, Apr 27, 2012.

1. I'm gonna get slammed for this, but SA Boston Lager. I actually tasted and enjoyed Octoberfest prior (which is what opened my eyes to better beer), but Boston Lager blew me away, and still remains one of my desert island beers.
    Others (also on that desert island list) - Duvel, Orval, Two-Hearted...
    Revenant and Horbar like this.
  2. Cazlo

Cazlo Savant (325) Pennsylvania Sep 7, 2011

Alpine Duet. Still blows my mind.
    bastu likes this.
  3. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

90 Minute on tap blew me away the first time.
  4. First OMG, this is excellent was Ruination. First OMG this is orgasmic was PtE.
    egomaniac667 likes this.
  5. Backwoods Bastard.

Had it on draft in a bar in NYC. It was delivered and I could smell it as the bartender got closer to me. I sat there sipping and sniffing that thing for about an hour, thinking to myself, "wow...wow...wow...wow." I may not have been good company for that hour.
    brikelly and Zaphog like this.
  6. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

Gaffel Koelsch, my first beer, blew my mind. But the beer that turned me on to American craft beers once I got back home was SA Boston Lager. It's still a great beer and I never hesitate to grab it when it's fresh.
    herrburgess likes this.
  7. Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier on tap at The Farmhouse in Burlington VT. Not as good in the bottles I've had since, but still a bloody amazing beer.

On the opposite end, I literally said "Ugh" as I cringed at my first sip of Stone's Ruination, only to realize that I was going for a second sip even as I was wondering if I could finish it. Horribly wonderful.
  8. As a BMC drinker, Highland Black Mocha Stout :)
  9. PDXHops

PDXHops Savant (475) South Carolina Nov 19, 2008

Bridgeport IPA was one of the first beers I had when I moved to Portland. Incredibly juicy stuff. I still love it.
    libbey likes this.
  10. Schlenkerla Maerzen. Hated it the first time. When it first blew my mind: after I finally made it through beers #1 & 2 and got to #3...the way the smoke took a back seat to the underlying caramel-y Maerzen. Made it all the way to about #6 or 7 that night. To this day, every time I order #3, I prepare to have my mind blown. I still don't understand how that beer can be so good.
  11. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

Same...I thought I'd puke the first time, but after a few I found it enjoyable.
  12. Skull40

Skull40 Savant (250) Indiana Apr 1, 2010

KBS - I didn't realize the range of flavors that could be brewed into a beer before I tasted KBS.
    pschul4 likes this.
  13. I distinctly remember saying "wow" upon smelling and tasting Alpine Duet for the first time.
  14. Mine is either Anchor Steam, it got me into craft beer. Which is why I have the anchor tattooed on my wrist. Or Anchorage Galaxy White IPA. It wasn't to hoppy, had a nice wheat balance, and a little sour end. Very surprised by this one.
  15. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

When I was just first starting, probably Double Bastard and Speedway Stout. Once I was a little more entrenched, Parabola.
  16. ixodus

ixodus Savant (285) New Jersey Jul 18, 2010

Definitely Rochefort 10
  17. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Stone IRS. First IRS I ever had.
    brikelly and libbey like this.
  18. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Chimay Red
  19. Not long after I started trying new beers, I picked up a Peche Mortel on a whim. I then realized I loved imperials stouts, and that despite what I had thought the past 25 years of my life, I DO like coffee...a lot! In my beer at least ;-)
  20. FatSalad

FatSalad Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2012

The first that really stopped me in my tracks, and forced me to take in the art of brewing, was Paulaner Salvator.
  21. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, for me it was actually a 2008 Stone IRS enjoyed earlier this year. Damn.

And Double Bastard before that almost fit the bill.
  22. beepthebot

beepthebot Zealot (90) Indiana Nov 12, 2011

First beer that got me actually liking craft beer was Alpha King. Still awesome.
    My first real love was Two-Hearted, it was everywhere and I couldn't believe how good it was.
    My first official "favorite beer ever" was Chouffe Houblon. Drinking it nowadays, not so impressed. Tastes change, but I swear the first few bottles I had were different somehow.
    Beer is great.
  23. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

Lagunitas Copper was a wake up call after a lot of decent but no special beer. That was a quick gateway to a bunch of much hoppier stuff for me. Once I was a craft idiot, Dreadnaught sealed the deal.
  24. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (460) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

The very fisrt beer to blow my mind was the first beer that I had with my dad. I cannot remember the beer [his choice, many, many years ago], but I will never forget the experience.
    kingofhop likes this.
  25. Rochefort 10
  26. Septante 5, I believe it was 1978. By then though, I'd been drinking the Hacker Pschorr brands for a couple of years.
  27. mtlasley

mtlasley Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 27, 2012

Rochefort 10 and Arrogant Bastard. So many wasted years....
  28. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

blind pig, '96 in temecula
  29. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

KBS. It stills blows my mind
  30. Lagunitas Sucks. That stuff was amazing.
  31. BB4D and R&D Kriek
  32. Barney flats oatmeal stout
    Horbar likes this.
  33. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

most recent: bell's hopslam

most mindblowing: stone sublimey self-righteous casked with columbus hops. i remember taking my first sip & being carried off into beer bliss. those first couple of sips i had no idea what was going on around me because it was that ridic good. never saw it again after that & will always compare every beer to that experience. *sigh* beer unicorn...
  34. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Bourbon County Vanilla

Cheers!
  35. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

new belgium sunshine wheat got me into craft a long time ago, paulaner octoberfest really raised the bar for sessionable craft for me, but ten fidy will ALWAYS be my dark mistress. she's the standard i always hold my imperials to.
  36. First ever "mind blower" was Two Hearted. That was long, long ago. I used to drink Guinness and sometimes Sierra Nevada back in the nineties and though I like SN, it wasn't until I had my first TH that I was like, "wow, that is awesome". The next beer that did it for me was many years later and it was Supplication...opened up a whole new world.
  37. trginter

trginter Savant (340) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

38. Gary79

Gary79 Aficionado (130) Michigan Apr 8, 2011

When I first tried Bourbon County Stout. I couldn't believe the flavor. That was about a year ago. Last week I tried Firestone Walker Abacus. Holy crap that stuff is good. Anyone else in the mood for a bourbon aged barleywine? Can't wait for Kuhnhenn winter solestic.