1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First beer to blow your mind.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ledzeppelin4, Apr 27, 2012.

1. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

It was two beers on the same night from the same brewer, so it's hard for me to name one above the other: Alesmith Grand Cru and Horny Devil. The Cru was technically first, so I guess I have to give it to that one. It was February 2005 in Holland, Michigan, so they had come a long way, and they were so much better than anything I'd had even in Michigan that my eyes shot out of my head. Of course, I hadn't had anything rare from Founder's or Bell's yet, just the regular, really good stuff they offered.

I mean, the way the Devil smells like Froot Loops! How was that possible!?
  2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

[​IMG]
  3. Lagunitas Maximus.
  4. VaTechHopHead

VaTechHopHead Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2008

2009 Dark Lord. I tried it less than a year after getting into craft beer, turned my world upside down.
  5. I would have to say St. Bernardus abt. 12 and Stone IRS. Both still remain as two of my all time favorite beers.
  6. For me it's Heavy Seas Loose Cannon. When I was first starting to get into craft beer in Baltimore I had this and was like what is this magnificient creation! Since then Heady Topper had a similiar effect recently.
  7. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

La Fin Du Monde...
  8. nate8767

nate8767 Aficionado (185) Alabama Nov 1, 2011

Rolling Rock. Blew my mind in a bad way. That was the first beer I ever had and I didn't drink another beer for a year and a half.
  9. I was a pretty experienced with smoked beers by the time I had my first Schlenkerla. Surprisingly it wasn't my first- I was drinking a lot of Rauchenfels, Alaskan Smoked Porter, that Rogue Chipotle thing, and my own smoked beers by then. Still...that first Urbock exceeded expectations and then some. I still get it regularly to this day, and it knocks my socks off every time. And I rarely look elsewhere for the smoke fix anymore.
  10. infi

infi Savant (455) New York Apr 4, 2009

First one was SA Summer Ale. But most recently was this past Wednesday, on my birthday. Bear Republic Altered Beast. My mind was blown.
    Horbar likes this.
  11. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

The Beast. I had no idea beer could taste like that until then.
    SFACRKnight likes this.
  12. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Hopslam.
  13. gestyr

gestyr Savant (325) Pennsylvania Dec 5, 2005

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisen

It was the first non-North American beer I sampled when I got stationed in Hanau, Germany (West Germany at the time). I remember it very well as it was amazingly different from what I was used to.
    herrburgess likes this.
  14. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (540) Florida Sep 13, 2011

DFH 90 and Burton Baton!
  15. Oaked Arrogant Bastard on draft really opened my eyes and brought me fully on board the craft beer train (I had been dabbling for a while with Fat Tire/Boston Lager/SN Pale Ale).

First beer to really blow my mind and make me think "Wow I didn't know beer could be this good" was Black Tuesday.
    Horbar likes this.
  16. Maredsous 8. I didn't even know what a Belgian beer was at the time.
    foobula likes this.
  17. cLin

cLin Aficionado (185) California Jul 21, 2010

The very first was probably PtE.
  18. jtingue

jtingue Aficionado (225) New York Apr 24, 2010

HOTD Adam. No beer has blown my mind like that one did
    libbey likes this.
  19. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Chimay Grand Reserve, complex yet clean. Still one of my top 3 (KBS / Short's AA)
    Horbar and 4balance like this.
  20. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Aventinus for sure, still say that same phrase when that 1st sip hits "OMG, this is excellent." Runner's up that had me utter that phrase as well St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout and the mighty La Chouffe.
  21. Intrik

Intrik Zealot (90) Texas Aug 28, 2010

Recently my mind was pretty blown watching an IPA on nitro be poured. IT was unreal seeing the head form on a beer that style.
    Horbar likes this.
  22. Hop Stoopid was one of the first DIPAs Id tried and blew me away at the time, since then its been Hopslam this past year for the first time and CW Fourteen Fourteen.
    Horbar likes this.
  23. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I was a young lad, when I first tasted the goodness of Falstaff. I said (paraphrased) "I think I love beer)". Many beers have come and gone, many have turned me on, and many have "blown my mind". Many dead brain cells later, I can still say "I think I love beer".
    4balance likes this.
  24. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

I already "liked" this but I would like to like it again :)
  25. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (425) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

Surly Darkness. It blew my mind, like my taste buds were on acid and I could taste a rainbow.
    Revenant and foobula like this.
  26. mikul93

mikul93 Savant (290) California Jan 13, 2011

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown
    Horbar likes this.
  27. TheFlern

TheFlern Savant (385) Idaho May 9, 2009

Hmmm either Hop Stoopid or Ruination. I can't remember which one I had first. I do remember I had them the same week when I was first getting into craft. Either way, both blew my mind with how good hops can taste. They have never tasted as good since those beers. Oh well. I guess that happens once you get use to the hops in beer. Cheers.
    Horbar likes this.
  28. Flower Power. I remember thinking, man this is good shit.
  29. BilbosNuts

BilbosNuts Savant (335) California Feb 22, 2011

When I was first getting into craft beers, I tried Rogue Dead Guy and thought it was an orgiastic feast for the senses. Still one of my go to beers for a cheap sixer.
    Horbar likes this.
  30. OTB

OTB Savant (345) California Sep 2, 2011

The first one that made stand back and go ......wow was Alpine Nelson, the nose, the flavor profile and just the overall complexity told me there was something to this craft brew thing.

Cheers....
  31. thegodfather1076

thegodfather1076 Savant (375) Ohio Oct 11, 2009

Great Lakes Holy Moses White Ale!!! I had this for the first time back in 2006 and it was a real "Oh My" experience!! Prob still my favorite brew!!! I was very disappointed when GLBC made this a seasonal but I think not being able to have it all year has kept it still being my favorite brew!!!!

Stone IPA is a close second!! I had this fresh for the first time when I visited their brewery last August and it was another "Oh My" experience!!! The aroma of this beer fresh is amazing!!
  32. It had to be either Southern Tier Creme Brulee or New Glarus Belgian Red
  33. going back to about 1989-90ish, Elm City (New Haven) Ale was pure candy deliciousness. Ron Page really had something dialed in back then. (what is he even doing these days?) At the time, the only real options in the craft market were Sam Adams, Anchor and Sierra Nevada. Sierra Stout and Porter, especially, because they were so different than any previously available "good" beers like Lowenbrau Zurich, St Pauli, Becks etc. But those were all lagers and ales seemed so new and innovative to me. (Even Pete's Wicked was fresh and new and delicious when it first came out!.) All of those were excellent but the Elm City offerings were super local, super fresh, super wow. They had a dark ale called Blackwell Stout. I think that was my first WOW with a capital "W".

After that, it was Ipswich Oatmeal Stout and Ipswich Porter. They were sold in 1litre flip tops and they freakin ruled! There have been so many deep explorations into individual WOW beers since but those are my first memories. So there you have it, from what feels like an "old timer" POV.
    JoeyDankNug likes this.
  34. Adamdc

Adamdc Savant (275) Massachusetts Nov 18, 2007

Hopslam and Bourbon County Stout

I had been into craft beer for a while when I had both of these but they both overwhelmed me. I couldnt believe how good they were. They are both still in my top 5.
  35. For me, it was an old beer that I don't think is even made anymore ... Pete's Gold Coast Lager.
    Revenant likes this.
  36. to answer my own question, Ron is Brewmaster at City Steam In Hartford now
  37. probably mike mcdoles sam adams longshot PTE clone (and i didnt have that much ipa experience at that point)

honorable mention: 2009 bigfoot (also wasnt use to hops), stone ruination

also victory prima pils for the first time on a hot summer night

dogfishhead90, samual smiths oatmeal stout

but no beer has really blown my mind recently or even the past couple years