1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First beer to blow your mind.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ledzeppelin4, Apr 27, 2012.

1. When I was younger, like 10 12 years ago, I started with SNPA and HopDevil. More recently, Backwoods Bastard and Hopslam have blown my mind.
  2. superspak

superspak Champion (900) Michigan May 5, 2010

Founders Breakfast Stout. I still remember my first experience, almost 2 years ago.
  3. I think it would have to be OHB Event Horizon...that beer absolutely floored me. Its still my absolute favorite beer to this day.
    hmmmmmm likes this.
  4. markmiller

markmiller Savant (265) New York Dec 28, 2010

Before I got into craft beers: Ithaca Flower Power

After I got into craft: Rochefort 10.

Honorable mention: Southern Tier Choklat. While it is a great beer itself, I simply did not expect the taste to be so different and amazing.
    hmmmmmm likes this.
  5. Probably Pliny the Elder and Hopslam. I was lucky enough to try them both for the first time on the same night (multiple glasses, side by side), and they were on tap! My mind was blown for sure.
  6. egrace84

egrace84 Advocate (725) Illinois Mar 25, 2012

It was Bourbon County Stout and Zombie Dust that actually " blew my mind"
  7. First to blow my mind = St. Bernardus Tripel - got me started visiting my local bottle shop for craft beer

Most recent = Ten Fidy

Only beer where I've ever said "Holy Fuck" out loud = Cantillon Classic Gueuze - hooked me on sours
  8. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

So true!! Dead Guy is always a great sixer, and a great gateway for your BMC friends. I've converted 3 people with it!!
  9. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Can't disagree with that assessment. Wow really amazed by how tasty it was, just this past November.
  10. Before I loved craft beer hoegaarden for sure
  11. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (420) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - 1987. Stone's Ruination IPA - 2010.
  12. Hopslam, Mexican Cake, Evil Twin soft DK
  13. there are several, Surly Furious opened me up to utlra hoppy beers, Abyss opened me up to ultra complex and amazing stouts and Surly Five made me want to try every sour beer ever!
    Revenant likes this.
  14. BoRaeCho

BoRaeCho Savant (250) California Nov 25, 2010

Moosehead Lager when I was 16. Before that it was Bud, Bud Lite, Busch, King Cobra, and Dos Equis from Juarez MX bars.
  15. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (310) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

BCBS '07. I was into stouts, but I had no idea a beer like that could exist.
  16. Cigar City Hunahpu all day!!!! I drank so much of that at Hunahpu Day I had the runs that night.
  17. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

Sammy Smith Impy Stout. I got a bottle on my very first beer trip to Bevmo, and I had never ever even had a stout of any kind before. I remembering pouring the beer into the only beer glass I had at the time, a pilsner glass, and at first I tasted the impressively large tan head, and it had so much complexity going on. And then I tasted the rest, and so much seemed to be going on that I briefly closed my eyes and smiled, sighing. Funny thing is that I've never quite experienced that since, or again with the same beer.
  18. jimmy666

jimmy666 Aficionado (230) Maryland Jun 20, 2010

<-----------this second one was Chimay blue :)
  19. redcap45

redcap45 Aficionado (100) Mar 24, 2012

I am probably aging myself but it would have to be Anchor Steam, way back when, in San Francisco.
  20. This is a really, really tough call. But, two beers instantly came to mind. The first, a cliche, is PtE. It's fairly easy to get in Seattle (where I learned to love beer), but it was probably my first Beer True Love and taught me that I do, indeed, love hops. The second is La Folie. It was my introduction to sour beers, and made me go "I didn't know beer could be like this!" which very quickly started a mad love affair.

Shoot, as I was typing that, I remembered my first glass of Cascade Blackberry Nightfall. New Year's Eve 2009/2010. I remember saying something along the lines of "holy shit this is the most amazing beer ever."
  21. White Birch Barrel -aged something or other (does it really matter which one?)

Had it at a tasting 3 yrs ago & it was so unbelievably bad, I've sworn off BA beers ever since. Admittedly I had several BA clunkers in a row but WB 's was the worst. Compounding the issue was that this abomination was selling tot $15 per bomber & had good reviews on BA. Started my crusade against over -priced crappy beer. :eek:)
  22. bhir

bhir Savant (260) Pennsylvania Nov 1, 2011

First it was Hopslam, then FBS. Most recently had to be FW15 and Heady.
  23. I'm going to show my age here, in college back in the early 90's, I worked at an organic deli. I thought fancy beer was simply imports. Corona, Becks, Molson etc. One of the guys who owned the deli told me that for $20, I could come to an after hours party where he was bringing "serious beer".

Sierra Nevada Pale and Porter, Pete's Wicked, Sam Adams Boston Lager and New Belgium Fat Tire. My mind was blown. This was in Norman, OK back in the day and none of this was available there. They would drive down to Dallas and pick some up. I rode along on the next run and scraped together enough $$ for a mixed sixer, a bomber of New Belgium Abbey and a short bottle of Chimay red.

That was almost 20 years ago and I'm still drinking and seeking this stuff out.
  24. First to truly blow my mind was Peche Mortel on-tap in Montreal before I was even 21, it all started then.
  25. Stone Double Bastard was what started everything for me. Mind blown recently by FW XV on tap, and from a bottle Bigfoot '12. Love being surprised by beer all the time!
  26. 90 minute at a fun summer wedding. Had tons of beer before but this was the first that stopped me in my tracks.
  27. dbol

dbol Aficionado (245) Missouri Aug 19, 2007

ommegang abbey ale. i moved to the US from australia nearly 8 years ago and the coopers range was about the best beer i'd ever had. one day in philly at the pizza shop i splashed out on a 'big bottle' that was lurking in the corner of the cooler. so many flavors that i hadn't experienced in a beer. after that i was hooked.
  28. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Sounded good when I first saw it on the shelf, tried it and hot damn! No looking back.
  29. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Probably Ommegang Ommegeddon for me. It was the first time I'd had a beer and my response was, "Wow. Wow . . . okay, wow." You know when you taste a beer, and try to take it slow because you want to savor it and dissect it, but you can't because it's so fucking good? Ommegeddon was the first time that happened for me.

Since then . . . Nugget Nectar, Heady Topper, Dark Matter, Piraat, De Graal SloCK, not sure what else. But yeah, Ommegeddon made a huge impression on me.
  30. Swim424

Swim424 Savant (320) Florida Apr 29, 2011

Hopslam has done it for me to
  31. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (450) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Sam Adams Cream Stout. It was the first beer that had enough complexity to it to make me raise an eyebrow. Still a very solid beer in my opinion.
  32. Sweetwater IPA. I'd just turned 21, and although I lived in Canada for a while and was able to drink their I never had a favorite when it came to beer. I'd had IPA's before but it was a long time ago and I'm guessing I was too drunk to notice the flavor. SO much flavor, the bitterness, the availability, the look on my friends' face when they try it and fake vomit.. In the month and a half since I've been 21 I've had so many IPA's I can't even count... Although I like others better (Two Hearted Ale, Alexander Keiths IPA), sweetwater is the first beer that made me go wholly shit!
    This is my first ever post on beer advocate, If you have any advice on how to do reviews let me know, I love drinking a new beer and then checking out the feedback for it on this site.
  33. Hmm well I did have Chimay Blue, six months ago which was awesome and the second one just a month ago was Avery Mephistopholes Stout, which really f'ing blew my mind! :D
  34. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

First beer that wowed me was a Chimay Grand Reserve on my 21st birthday. Been hooked on craft ever since.
    szmnnl99 likes this.
  35. Angst

Angst Aficionado (185) California Nov 8, 2007

Mine was the St. Bernardus 60th. Both are phenomenal beers!
  36. was going to say the same thing, trying that on draft for the first time was just the beginning for me
  37. BrownNut

BrownNut Savant (305) Florida Jul 11, 2011

Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout are what made me realize how good beer could be, rescuing me from college crap beer, but once past that transitional zone, Nogne O God Jul was the first that made me say GOD DAMN! The next bottle was nowhere near as good, sadly. Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye made me sit up and go bazoom-zinnng and clap. Rochefort 6 made me actually chuckle with delight and admiration. Rogue Double Chocolate surprised me with its art.
  38. ffenski

ffenski Aficionado (205) Ohio Apr 24, 2008

Kentucky Breakfast Stout was, when I first tasted it, such a well-rounded, balanced and flavorful beer. Still is.

And very nice avatar, my friend!
    szmnnl99 likes this.
  39. BCBS [2008] was the first brew to amaze me as well- such a nicely-layered, booze-infused imperial stout (my first barrel-aged imperial stout, I believe). Another beer that I can vividly recollect is Deschutes' Lost Barrels of Mirror Mirror at Holiday Ale Fest '09. Ridiculously good!!