1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First beer to blow your mind.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ledzeppelin4, Apr 27, 2012.

1. The first beer to blow me away was probably Samuel Smith's Nut Brown back in the 1980's. Since then I have been blown away by many other beers like Kate the Great Imperial Stout, New England Stout Trooper, Innis & Gunn Oak-Aged, and Aecht Schlenkeria Rauchbier
  2. dgeebs07

dgeebs07 Savant (270) New York Aug 6, 2011

trois pistoles
  3. Brestel

Brestel Aficionado (120) Nebraska Mar 15, 2006

Robert the Bruce, on tab.
  4. AleSmith IPA, when I was 18. It was the hoppiest and strongest beer I'd ever had, and the first that I sought out based on online ratings. I never looked back.
  5. mahak213

mahak213 Savant (320) New York Mar 5, 2012

Founders Breakfast Stout. Got this a few weeks after I turned 21. I had already dabbled in craft beers prior, but this was one of the first imperial stouts I had, and it sent me on a stout bender. I think the next 30 or so beers I drank were all Imperial stouts. Still probably my favorite style, all thanks to Founders.
  6. Maredsous 8, on draught, at the Galaxy Hut in Arlington, 2008. Immediately followed by a Maredsous 10, also on draught. Double whammy.
  7. Old Rasputin made me realize beer is good. FFF Dreadnaught made me love beer.
  8. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (910) Colorado May 19, 2005

I have two at different phases of my craft beer life.

1. Free State Brewing Co.'s Copperhead in Lawrence, KS. I went to KU and this was the first beer that didn't "taste like beer". In other words, it didn't taste like the Bud and PBR I'd been drinking for years

2. Since then I drank the Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada lines (et al). Then I had a Rochefort 10 and it blew my friggin' mind, man.
  9. That is perfect! I love it.

Mine is PtE. I literally yelled YES after swallowing my first sip. It is still my favorite. It might be the cliche answer, but cliches start for a reason.
  10. Tyranena's Devil over a Barrel, an imperial coffee oatmeal porter aged in bourbon barrels. I'd been a craft drinker for a few years, but this one turned me into a full out nut. I took my first sip and I was amazed at how complex, balanced and delicious it was. God, what a great beer.
  11. boltfan

boltfan Aficionado (175) California Dec 13, 2011

I'm still picking up pieces of my skull from the first time I tried abacus.
  12. Ruination
    Chimay blue
    Red leffe

All blew my mind in the formative years of my craft drinking
  13. BarryMFBurton

BarryMFBurton Savant (435) Indiana Mar 28, 2011

Ditto, exactly. I loved it so much that I made a BA account and reviewed it as soon as I had a drink. It's a compelling beer, you might say.
  14. BigHeavy

BigHeavy Aficionado (195) Missouri Jul 11, 2007

Didn't read through the whole thread, but I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one who says Old Rasputin.
  15. Bocajoe

Bocajoe Aspirant (30) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2012

Samuel Adams Boston Lager; the year was 1991. It was the first time I realized that there was a world of beer beyond Bud and Coors Light. I was still in college and none of my fraternity brothers or other college friends knew what I was ordering.
  16. Was said before, but ruination for sure
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

The very first that made me stop in my tracks to say "well damn that's delicious"?

It was when I was first getting into craft..and it was Delirium Tremens.
    Cyrano41 likes this.
  18. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (890) New York Aug 25, 2010

Founder's Devil Dancer on tap at the distributor - wasn't the first beer to get me into real beer, mind you, but when I sipped that little Dixie cup sampler, I was hooked. I could not get the taste out of my mind until I went back the next day and bought a growler. I then obsessed over the beer until the next summer when it came around again in 4-packs.
  19. I had my first ┬žucaba last night and I think I almost shit my pants...
  20. chrispoint

chrispoint Savant (325) Connecticut Oct 14, 2009

Avery Maharaja. So much grapefruit. Totally blew my head widen open.
  21. First time I tasted Rodenbach Grand Cru. Had it on tap and new I had just turned the corner on just being a casual beer drinker.
  22. PtE & Bourbon County Brand Stount 2008 vintage
  23. Stone Ruination
  24. SN Bigfoot
  25. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

First good beer was SNPA. First "wow!" experience was Stone IRS. That was a long time ago, and I've had a great deal of better beers since. But Stone IRS will always have a special place in my heart.
  26. I remember going to Montreal in 96 and 97 for the Grand Prix. At that time, they had their International Beer Festival during the same weekend. That whole weekend's worth of beer blew my mind...so many franco/belgique styles were just unbelieveable. Maudite, La Fin du Monde, the rest of the Unibrue line, all the McChoufe flavors, so many super fresh beers that Ive had since in bottles and on tap and they dont taste anything like my memory of them. Those are the ones I remember most but there were so many others too. So good
  27. Trystero

Trystero Savant (270) Ohio Jul 28, 2009

Pannepot 2008? I think. I received it as a gift from my, at the time, only craft beer drinking friend (OSUBeerStudent) for my 21st birthday. Sadly I drank it straight from the bottle, ignorance of course, and was astounded that beer could be so complex.
  28. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Ballantine XXX Ale. Back in the late 60s.
  29. Gumball head
  30. ArkansasDave

ArkansasDave Aspirant (40) Arkansas Oct 22, 2011

Fresh Avery Maharaja. Was in college and just getting into the craft scene. My face was officially melted.
  31. Legacy Euphoria on-tap
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  32. Victory at Sea. First big beer I had like that that balanced so many flavors, was highly drinkable, and held its percentage so perfectly. One of the first beers of its kind I had at the beginning of my craft beer drinking career too.
  33. Reed

Reed Aficionado (175) Kansas Mar 4, 2012

Boulevard Tank 7. That is what made me adventurous into the world of good beer.

A year or so later I started searching IPA's for the perfect one. My brother ended up getting it for me for x-mas; Lips of Faith (New Belgium) Fresh Hop IPA. I have tried most of the major ones, a few of the minor ones, and this still to me is in a class of its own. It has the hoppy-ness of hop stoopid mixed with the refined-ness of something with the caliber of firestone double jack.

I still have yet to try the Dogfish Heads or Plineys. They are at the top of my list, but cannot find them anywhere around here.
  34. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Weighting in at 7.85 Lagunitas Sucks steps into the ring. Check my recent addition to your ranks to confirm. I'd had great before, but something about the time and place I tasted this over the winter got me hooked. Loved to read through others experiences..added quite a few WANTS to my own list based on your recommendations

Great question from the OP
  35. Old Foghorn 17 years ago. I had never had anything like it before.
  36. Same for me.
  37. Rymar9

Rymar9 Savant (260) South Carolina Jan 24, 2011

my very first KBS
  38. BeerJunkie91

BeerJunkie91 Aspirant (35) New York Feb 26, 2012

The first craft beer i had was DFH Punkin ale. I buddy of mine poured me one of these a year ago and havent looked back since. Was a completely different world than my usually Bud Light.
    foobula likes this.
  39. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

Chimay Red....next one was Stone Ruination. Cheers.