1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First beer to blow your mind.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ledzeppelin4, Apr 27, 2012.

1. bcm119

bcm119 Savant (340) California Feb 17, 2001

I'll go with Bullfrog IPA, of the brewpub of the same name, Williamsport PA, c. 1997.

That or Hop Devil.

2. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (505) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Bourbon County Vanilla. Seriously, best imperial stout I've had to date, and that includes Rare. Vanilla just does something to my tastebuds that nothing else has even come close to touching.

3. adamant1912

adamant1912 Savant (395) Michigan Jan 10, 2010

Jolly Pumpkin Oro De Calabaza

4. 2008 Matilda, drank with about 6 months on it. It was so incredible I couldn't believe it.

I have never had another one that was nearly as good.

5. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

I count Urbock as up there with some of the best beer experiences I've had...

6. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (470) California Nov 16, 2009

Hate to say it...but for me, it was Camo. I went to high school in Las Vegas, and Camo was the one beer that could get you (and the girl I was trying to get with) messed up for cheap. So that made me say "Oh... My... God...This Is excellent!" My HS days were a blast and I wouldn't defame Camo one bit... Wouldn't drink that shit now though. Only posted because it blew my mind at the time. Cheers!

7. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (390) Colorado Apr 29, 2012

I've been drinking beer for a long time. And I thought I had been drinking some really good beers.
    Until I tried GI Bourbon County Stout on tap at Sunset Grill in Allston, MA 2 years ago. A whole new beer world opened up and I haven't looked back. All the beers I thought were good dropped about 7 notches.

That beer was immediately followed up by Lost Abbey Bourbon Angel's Share on tap. Still one of my favorites. Though for some reason in bottle it isn't as good as tap. A weird sour tinge at the end.

Anyway ... BCBS was it for me

8. cmannes

cmannes Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

I confess that part of the mind blowing was location & hype.

My wife and I were at a pub in Brussels. And low and behold, on the menu they listed Westvleteren 12. Morally, I knew they weren't supposed to be selling it. But here I am in this beautiful old historic pub, in Brussels, and I'm drinking a fine chalice of one of the reported best beers in the world. I was and still am in Awe of that moment.

Of course, now I want to drink a bottle of Westy in my basement, see what it's like once I eliminate the location & hype. :)

9. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

Gonzo Imperial Porter!

10. Duvel, made me realize there's more to beer then Molson Canadian or Becks.

morimech and yamar68 like this.
  11. Most recently it was Dynamo Hum. This is the beer that turned me onto sours and has opened up a whole new world of beer to me.

12. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (505) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Damn good beer to start with :p

13. After years and years and years of Budweiser, I tried a DFH 90. The rest is history.

ChangeTheGame likes this.
  14. Nelson

ChanChan likes this.
  15. Shoo65

Shoo65 Savant (270) Indiana Oct 23, 2011

Brian Boru from the floyds, now I spend my paychecks on beer

16. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Three Philosophers. Still my favorite beer.

17. Ruination was my first IIPA and had a similar effect on me. Blew my mind like a hooker with a psych degree.

stafford2 likes this.
  18. MarcM

MarcM Aficionado (125) California Aug 19, 2011

Back in '98 or so I was at an open bar event. The most expensive beer on the list was Chimay Red, which I had never heard of at the time, so of course I ordered it and was like "wow, this is the best beer I've ever had."

19. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

20. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

Old Rasputin!

21. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (225) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

Rochefort 10 like 5 months ago

22. RStang13

RStang13 Savant (290) New Jersey Jun 22, 2011

I had been drinking my dads homebrew, SNPA, Guiness, Yeungling, Blue Moon and the like through college but my life forever changed the night of my 21st birthday. All the guys in my family toured Flying Fish in the morning and headed out to Philly for the night. First of many amazing stops that night was Monk's for dinner and a few fine beverages. A pot of mussels and a Kwak out of the legit glassware changed me forever. Since revisiting it, certainly not as earth shattering but totally blew my mind that night.

23. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Actually without knowing it I was drinking craft beers a far back as 1975 or so. When i was stationed I Camp Lejeune I would pick up Pils Urquell and the like, mostly German brews. I was toddling along happy with Hop Devil, DFH 60, two Hearted and the like, then along came my first Hopslam. It was so freaking amazing that any brew could taste like that, it's been down hill for that same rush ever since. You hit a few here and there like HT and KBS, but your always chasing that next beer high, or at least I am..

24. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Williamsburg AleWerks - Rapadou Porter

I'll never forget that beer. It was the richest thing I've ever drank. Wall to wall unrefined sugar, raisins, and malt.

I think it was a 2007 bottle, perhaps?

I still have one, and I'll be damned if it's not one of the best beers I've ever had.

25. Nutwood

Nutwood Savant (405) Kentucky Jun 30, 2012

Tripel Karmeliet was a recent one. Brooklyn Sorachi Ace gave me goosesflesh too.

26. Rogue Maple Bacon Donut blew my mind as to how someone would bottle and try to sell such a shitty beer.

ChanChan likes this.
  27. A question with two answers.
    Colt 45 tall boys - got drunk on 2 in high school.
    Sierra Nevada Torpedo - discovered IPAs several years ago.

Both were mind blowers.

28. Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head. One of the first non AAL beers I ever had. Before that I had no idea beer was more than just yellow and fizzy.

29. Every bottle of batch 5 keeps blowing me away. I just had batch 2 and 3 but they dont hold a candle to batch 5

30. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

Newman's Albany Amber Ale. Some say it was the first microbrewery east of Boulder. Dumpy little building in downtown Albany. Circa 1980.

[​IMG]

came in a cube-a-tainer

[​IMG]

The William S. Newman Brewing Company, named after master brewer Bill Newman, was founded in 1981. Newman apparently learned his craft in England and brought brewing to, well, downtown Albany, at 84 Chestnut Street - about a block away from Empire State Plaza. Aside from the aforementioned "Albany Amber," he brewed a Pale Ale.

It was the first microbrewery east of Colorado, apparently. Among those working there? Jim Koch, who would later go on to found the little-known Samuel Adams in Boston. Of Newman, Jim notes:

These little microbreweries were starting up and that really got my interest. I actually worked in Bill Newman's brewery in Albany. He was the first guy who started a microbrewery east of Boulder. I came away thinking, OK, the idea is right. I knew that it was possible to make world-class beer here in the United States.

31. Brooklyn Local 1

beerFool28607 likes this.
  32. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Ruination. Pretty early on in my transition to craft beer. I'd had maybe one other DIPA before, but this made my mouth water.

33. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

It was Rochfort 10 in a really cool basement bar in Brugge. We asked the young owner (who was playing some heavy Chicago blues) for his favorite and he pulled these out. Done deal ever since.

34. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

KBS. It was my first BA stout and it blew my mind.

35. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (390) California Mar 13, 2009

Brandy Barrel Aged Vanilla Dark Lord. I've had lots of amazing BA stouts before that beer, but that particular one just blew me away.

36. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

For me it was BA Tungusta / BA Jackhammer during Ogrefest. They're the reason I like BBA beers for sure!

37. Great Lakes Alberta Clipper. I had no idea a roasty porter could even be fruity, sweet, and still really good. Id never heard of it, and just ordered since I was at the brewery and they didnt distribute it. holy hell was I surprised.

38. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (225) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

At first, all i read was 'Rogue Maple Bacon Donut blew my mind..." and thought, Hell no! Then i read the rest i was like, Agreed :cool:

39. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (600) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Rochefort 10