1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First beer to blow your mind.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ledzeppelin4, Apr 27, 2012.

1. chardlogic

chardlogic Savant (280) Florida Feb 18, 2011

Zhukov, then months later Hunahpu, then a year later Apple Brandy Hunahpu.
  2. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (600) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Kentucky Breakfast Stout in 2007.
    Maction likes this.
  3. i don't remember if it was st. bernardus 12 or DFH palo santo maron. i know i had both of those beers for the first time right around the same time, just not sure which came first.
  4. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (355) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

KBS, for sure.
    szmnnl99 likes this.
  5. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I'm optimistic that any day now I'll try the first beer to truly blow my mind.

But Delirium Tremens may have been the first beer that really tasted like something completely different. It was my first Belgian no doubt
  6. printer1

printer1 Aficionado (225) Iowa Aug 29, 2005

Abrasive
    Revenant and stafford2 like this.
  7. stafford2

stafford2 Aficionado (195) Maryland Nov 13, 2010

Stone IPA - About four years ago I was slowly making the transition from BMC - drinking SA white & lager, Blue Moon, SN Pale and Fat Tire. Experimenting with various other beers like Grimburgen and Southhampton white. On 4th of July, a friend brought over some Stone IPA. First one, totally overwhelmed by the hops. Second one, went down much easier. I then tried to return to the miller lite I was previously drinking during the cookout. Opened the can and took one sip and had to throw the can away. The next Friday, I bought my first sixer of Stone IPA on the way home from work. I took my first sip and it was like an epiphany - all these complex flavors, citrus, bitter, smoothness, etc. Since that day, I've never gone back. Literally blew my fucking mind.
    beerFool28607 and franklinn like this.
  8. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Honestly, Rock Art 4 or 5 years ago... Drinking Ridge Runner warm, and then a few years later a fantastic batch of their IIPA. Just fantastic :)
  9. BT when Tyler King brought it to class last year :+)
  10. It was Schneider-Weisse fresh on tap at their brew haus in Munich. Since then, there's been several others, but Schneider was the first that I can remember, it played a big part in drawing me into great beers.
  11. whiskey

whiskey Savant (330) California Feb 25, 2012

Old Rasputin on nitro...like drinking dessert.
  12. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (615) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

CBS

I thought all this craft beer stuff was "cool" but nothing too exciting. Then I had CBS and BOOM
  13. Chimay red 25 years ago.
    szmnnl99 likes this.
  14. Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball
  15. The Duchesse De Bourgogne enjoyed at The Neighborhood in San Diego. Freaking incredible.
  16. Pinepoint

Pinepoint Aspirant (35) Minnesota Aug 3, 2012

Hofbrauhaus original....in Munich...at HB..with the oompa band...years ago...
  17. CBS stands for "craft beer stuff" if I'm not mistaken.

As for me.. thanks to this fine gentleman that is pschul4, little summpin summpin and zombie dust opened my mind.
  18. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

19. Unibroue Maudite.
  20. brywhite

brywhite Savant (310) California Aug 27, 2009

Olympia, and I'll never forget it. I was 10 years old, mowing the lawn with my Dad. He gave me a sip which upon tasting, I immediately turned into a chug....WOW... having grown up with Soda Pop as a basic "refreshment" for kids the refreshing flavor of an ice cold beer was mind blowing.
    beerFool28607 likes this.
  21. Hopslam. I had just started getting into craft beer and happened to grab a single as part of a mix 6er, and BAM. It was hands down the best beer I had ever had, in fact I didn't know beers COULD be that good. It remains one of my top handful of favorite beers to this day.
  22. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

2008 Dark Lord.
  23. This was an integral part of my early craft brew experience as well. Love that stuff.
  24. Chimay Blue in Paris when I was 20 years old.
    szmnnl99 likes this.
  25. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Savant (475) Illinois Nov 2, 2011

NB Ranger. An amazing IPA for 7.99 a sixer is MIND BLOWING!
    beerFool28607 likes this.
  26. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

have to say Old Rasputin made me turn the corner.
  27. kempshark

kempshark Aficionado (140) Florida Jul 22, 2009

Exactly what I was going to say.....St Bernardus ABT 12 is still one of my top choices, although I am really into the stouts lately.....unfortunately can't get Founders over here (but tasted the Breakfast Stout at a BeerFest and loved it).......
  28. youngleo

youngleo Aficionado (215) Michigan May 31, 2007

For me it was Stone, Arrogant Bastard.
  29. Hopslam for me.
  30. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

31. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

espresso oak aged yeti
  32. I have been wowed many times but Hill Farmstead Galaxy Imperial Single Hop makes me thank God I was ever born every time I get a chance to drink it. What a crazy good beer. The perfect beer in my book.
  33. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I remember having Chimay Blue and thinking how this beer was the best beer I ever tasted. That was a while ago however and I now have new favorites but man, I just think back to that time and remember that fantastic taste.
    MarcM, szmnnl99 and JimDH like this.
  34. Tough one here - lots of beers that are memorable...but one that really mind fucked me with its deliciousness?
    Probably Parabola - after my first gulp I sat stunned and am now forever searching for bourbon barrels that can compare.
  35. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

of late...............Probably Sculpin. Had two week old Sculpin at ballast Point at the end of SD beer week in 2010. Amazing stuff. So brilliant fresh
  36. Bell's Two-Hearted Ale. Been an IPA guy ever since.
  37. kbrinson

kbrinson Aficionado (110) Indiana Mar 5, 2010

Apocypse Cow by 3F's. An amazing Imperial. It's not cheap, but it's seasonal, therefore worth it. I think I'll have another one today.
  38. I used to think dfh 90 min until I tried surly furious
  39. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

DFH 120. Early in my craft career. Still my favorite beer (on tap).
  40. Arrogant Bastard and then Sculpin (many years apart). Arrogant Bastard was my first "craft" beer. The first time I had Sculpin it must have been super fresh cause it was amazing and my head almost blew off