1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First beer to blow your mind.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ledzeppelin4, Apr 27, 2012.

1. glaze3

glaze3 Aficionado (140) Nevada Jul 29, 2010

Samuel Smith "Winter Welcome" sometime in the late '80's blew me away.
  2. tigrstylz

tigrstylz Aficionado (215) Texas Jan 10, 2012

Sorachi Ace is absolutely delicious, it amazed... Drank Rayon Vert "just to see" and it blew my mind! My new favorite. For an IPA, Sculpin was wonderful.
  3. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Savant (375) Georgia Apr 13, 2002

Arrogant Bastard, my son gave me a bottle for my b-day and I haven't look back, sorry bmc:)
  4. chicano4craft

chicano4craft Savant (310) Colorado Apr 18, 2009

New Belgium LaFolie...Had it in college and it showed me a totally different side of beer. I remember being amazed at how each sip was different and complex. Up until this point I was downing sixers of different beers weekly. Really expanded my beer purchases.
  5. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Advocate (660) Colorado Apr 5, 2012

Either Boulder Beer Sweet Betty or New Beligium Mothership Wit. Can't remember what I had first, but they were my first two beers after being 21 for a month, not drinking for 6 months or so before that and only drinking an excessive amount of the shitty lagers before that. Had them on separate days and paired both with food, made me feel high.
  6. jeffbrister

jeffbrister Disciple (70) Hawaii Aug 29, 2011

pretty much anytime I stepped up to a more complicated beer. I remember the first time I drink Sam Adams Boston Lager it was too much for my tastebuds lol. Then i tried Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and it blew me away at the time as well. Recently I had a Speak Easy Double Daddy and that was an Awesome IPA. Of course, i had my first KBS last year and i don't think i need to explain how awesome that is in this company.
  7. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Boston Lager was too bitter when I first had it too. A week later I had it again and loved it. It's still one of my favorites.

Oberon and Two Hearted back-to-back just last night were the first beers I've ever had that almost made me piss myself. I don't expect them to have the same mouth feel in a bottle because they were served on tap, but my god were those fantastic.
    Revenant likes this.
  8. Gonna go with my first KBS given to me as a very gracious gift (props to my beer geek friend lorianneb!) and just recently Heady Topper....man that is a great beer!!!
  9. Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissber a few years back really impressed me. Still drink them regularly today.
  10. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Same. Had a friend pick me up a sixer of 60 and a four pack of 90 back in high school...of course I didn't realize how pricey that was. Haven't turned back since.
  11. DasPuma

DasPuma Zealot (95) Virginia Jan 15, 2012

The first beer I ever had that made me say "Wow, beer can actually taste GOOD.", was Shiner Bock. The first beer that really blew me away was Samuel Smith's Oatmeat Stout. Still one of my favorite beers.
    Revenant and Cyrano41 like this.
  12. jokemon

jokemon Savant (340) Illinois Apr 3, 2007

trappist rochefort 10 still one of my faves
  13. Bells Two Hearted Ale. Just got done playing a round a golf and they had it on tap. I was like damn is that good! I thank my buddy who turned me onto good beer to this day.
  14. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (600) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

Oaked Arrogant Bastard. Now, though, it's just meh.
  15. PEIhop

PEIhop Savant (400) Massachusetts Dec 2, 2010

Gulden Draak. It started a journey that hasn't stopped.....
  16. BrownNut

BrownNut Savant (305) Florida Jul 11, 2011

Nogne O - God Jul. I liked craft beer a lot before then and that's all I drank, but that's really the one that made me say GOD DAMN! and then start chasing superbly crafted complex beers like it was my job.
  17. sbuysse

sbuysse Aficionado (165) Arizona Sep 30, 2005

Bert Grants Perfect Porter, and then Arrogant Bastard Ale
  18. Pliny the Elder, then Plny the Younger.
    ChanChan likes this.
  19. Hex

Hex Aficionado (155) Kentucky Mar 25, 2012

First beer to completely rock my world was Delirium Tremons... my girlfriend had picked it up because she thought the bottle was pretty. "This couldn't be a MANS beer" i thought to myself looking at the pictures of cartoon elefants and crocodiles smiling on the lable. I open the bottle, the smell is what did it. If you have ever been on a bourbon whiskey tour, this smell is that of the hot, bubbling whiskey pre-stage "beer" type product that is made before it is distilled. And Tremons has a flavor to match... Unfortunately i find that it isnt the most consistant beer... or the stores i have bought it at have late drink by dates on them because sometimes i have it and its a little less than thrilling.
    Cyrano41 likes this.
  20. Hex

me too... just posted that.
  21. Hex

many things better than bud light my friend. haha much more than 10 fold.
  22. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

Spaten Optimator. Made me lose my fear of "dark beers" in the early 1990's and sent me on my way in exploration.
  23. Zaphog

Zaphog Champion (995) Michigan Sep 23, 2011

Two Hearted
  24. Cantillon Fou Foune and Heady Topper.
  25. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

Its not the best beer I ever had, but when I made the switch from BMC to craft, Green Flash West Coast IPA was my first. The smell and the bitterness was awesome, been hooked ever since.
  26. bamadog

bamadog Savant (405) Kentucky Oct 21, 2008

FBS. 'Nuff said.
  27. La Fin du Monde it was my first real beer and I became hooked after it and wanted to learn as much as possible and try everything
  28. 33nickadams

33nickadams Savant (280) Michigan Apr 12, 2010

Two Hearted comes to mind for me. Still is one of my all time favorites.
  29. mobius387

mobius387 Savant (385) Florida Dec 5, 2010

30. Victory Storm King. I don't even like it that much anymore, but it was the first hoppy dark beer I ever had and I loved it.
  31. deebo

deebo Savant (425) Minnesota Oct 13, 2006

Hoegaarden...after years of drinking Milwaukee's Best, Hamms, Meister Brau, etc. and those sweet ass ice beers, drinking this was a revelation. Since then beers like St. Bernardus Abt. 12 and KBS continue to make me saw WOW!
  32. Cyrano41

Cyrano41 Savant (295) Virginia Aug 7, 2009

It's been said, but Delirium Tremens. The Beir Garden in Portsmouth, VA. Pop the owner kept feeding us more samples "If you like that, try this..." Celebrator, Aventenus and Corsendonk followed in rapid succession. Before that, I knew I liked different brews I'd had overseas, like Pelforth and Leffe, but hadn't thought I could find variety at home. Thanks, Pop!​
  33. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Not the craziest beer in the world, but Fat Tire. I had had stuff like Guinness and SNPA, but something about the raw cookie-like maltiness and fruit notes from Fat Tire opened my eyes to the world of how great beer could be. I think I had a revolving 12-pack of it in my fridge for my first 2 years in CO.
  34. Racer 5. That tipped the scales.
  35. January 2008, Arlington, VA at Galaxy Hut. Maredsous 8. I was shocked how good it was. Followed by a Maredsous 10 (they were both on draught). It was all over after that.
  36. Ommegang Hennepin. And it stil blows my mind!
  37. psykosis

psykosis Savant (320) Indiana May 21, 2009

Oberon was the first beer to open my eyes to the world of craft beer (I was loyal to Labatt Blue prior), but Jolly Pumpkin's Oro de Calabaza totally blew my mind. I had no idea you could get flavors like that in the world of beer. I've been a sour hound ever since.
  38. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Oberon was mine as well. Then it was Two Hearted after that till I found Founders and never looked back! My first Stout to blow my mind was Founders Breakfast Stout. Still probably my Fave of all, although Michigan has SO many to choose from!
  39. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

Probably Oak Aged Pumking.
  40. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Lots of beers "blow my mind" the first time I've tried them......but no beer has blown my mind anymore then King Henry has!