1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First beer to blow your mind.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ledzeppelin4, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Breakfast Stout easily. Before this beer stouts were a take it or leave it type of deal. Needless to say, that's no longer the case.

Heady topper blew my mind too, but since I've had it I've found several other beers that deliver the same effect.

2. Glaurung

Glaurung Initiate (20) Aug 11, 2012

La Fin Du Monde brought me into the fold of fine beer appreciation

3. Cantillon Gueuze back in 2002... I never knew beer could taste like this. Eye-opening, to say the least, for a college student.

4. wbumgarner

wbumgarner Aficionado (160) Jul 16, 2012

Delirium Tremens for me, my gf went to Total Wine after work one day to grab a bottle of wine, and saw the beer. She picked up a bomber because she liked the bottle lol. It was the first time i'd tried and and needless to say I was very impressed.

5. Philly Beer Week 2010. Alpine Nelson just blew me away. I thought I would drink Pliny all week (being from the east coast), but Nelson just ruled!

6. Newbie954

Newbie954 Aspirant (25) Aug 12, 2012

Fin du mond, Gubna

7. oddapt

oddapt Aficionado (105) California Aug 21, 2010

Pliny the Younger! It was the first IPA I had that I liked. I didn't like Elder or Pig until i had it. Now i love them. weird.

8. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Piraat by Van Steenberghe is the one that got me into beers. Had it at a local bar that had 100 (!) bottles. That was a huge number for me back then.

9. Anchor Steam in 1976 before craft was a term.

herrburgess likes this.
  10. ricke49

ricke49 Aficionado (235) Oregon May 2, 2004

I gotta name two (because I can't remember which was first): Midnight Sun Arctic Devil and Pelican Mother of all Storms

11. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Savant (395) Texas Jul 26, 2012

Köstritzer Schwarzbier

12. claytri

claytri Savant (455) Maryland Jan 17, 2004

Blanc de Bruges. It was the first Wit I ever got hold of, and it made me want to explore.

13. Perducci

Perducci Aficionado (175) Arizona Aug 14, 2012

all are kinda cliche, but i have three. was in the Navy in the early 90s, drank "beer"... got stationed in Guam and a couple bars just had rows of English beers I'd never seen. Guinness and some beer they stopped carrying like a week after my first bottle (John something... John Bull, John Courage, hell if I can recall) were the first two that made me go "WOW! That Monty Python joke makes so much sense now!"

got back to the States and just boring beer. seeing Killians or Sammy on tap was exciting... the local supermarket started carrying Sammy Adams Double Bock and my roommates and i thought it was the best thing ever.

Fast forward about 15-20 years and even the local grunged out gas station/barber shop/tacqueria/market carries Dales, Odells, Ska, Deschutes, etc... Stuff I used to find amazing is just boring now. Can't remember the last time I've purchased either Guinness off-tap or Sammy.

14. Now you got me scratching my head about the MP reference- was it Eric Idle going on and on about Watney's bleedin' Red Barrel?

You may have been drinking Courage. I do remember around that time they would make a push every now and then, trying to get a toehold- offer steep discounts if retailers would get a large drop delivered. We'd pay less than $20/case, which was really good for a beer of that quality and I couldn't pass it up. Made for a great night of darts, too.

15. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Barleywine 2009.

I literally had to stop and sit down in order to process what I was experiencing.

After this, my buddy and I vowed to open one bottle every month for as long as we could. 3 years later and we're still on top of our mission (we vary the vintage every so often, but still pop the 2009's on the regular).

Absolutely life-changing.

BOBPINCH666 likes this.
  16. 1997 Montreal Canada....

I was a college kid looking to grab a scooter pop and a cheap buzz. My roomate grabbed a wildcat 22 oz of malt liquor I grabbed a 750 ML La Fin Du Monde. While brown bagging the Fin I was blown away by the flavors. I never had any beer like that. I definately caught a buzz as well as the beginings of of a full blown beer obsession.

17. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Leinenkugel's Winter Ale about 20 years ago. Then my first Surly Abrasive forced me to rethink everything.

18. Spent 4 days backpacking in the Grand Canyon after college, had an Arrogant Bastard when I got back topside. I had only really drank Yuengling up to that point.

19. More likely Idle's "American beer is like making love in a canoe..." quote... although I think the joke is much older than that (1982's Live at Hollywood Bowl) nor originate with them. Seems like I heard it all my beer-dirnking life, even in the pre-craft era- as I sipped my Ballantine India Pale Ale and just grinned as the guy with the Heineken told it to me...

But I could be wrong.;)

20. Ah, yes- now it makes sense. I even have the recording (on vinyl!) where it may have originated- Live at City Center (1976) , but admittedly haven't played it for a while; still, that quote should have come to mind.

21. Perducci

Perducci Aficionado (175) Arizona Aug 14, 2012

Yes, it was from the Hollywood Bowl performance, and that was the first time I had heard that joke.

Might have been Courage. So faded from 20+ years and the fact I only had it once. Was my first time at the bar, only time they had it, it was hot and humid that day. The bar was outside, so still hot and humid. Really hit the spot and tasted like no other beer. It was the perfect beer for that time and place. Tasted so cool and crisp... I cannot recall the name to save my life, aside from "John", but I can still small details about the taste from the mists of memory.

22. Founders Breakfast Stout. Ridiculously delicious.

23. I'm going back to the eighties for this one folks. It was Geary's Hampshire Special Ale. Still is...love that ale!

More recently, the brews from Pretty Things are simply awesome!

24. Pliny the Elder. The glass never hit the bar til it was gone, then ordered another.

25. Rochefort 6

26. Zombie Dust and Parabola

27. aburch

aburch Initiate (20) Oct 21, 2012

love the pigs ear with my onion soup there last night

BrianTheBrewer30 likes this.
  28. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Dreadnaught

29. biggmike

biggmike Savant (320) Mississippi May 7, 2007

For me it was Bell's Two-Hearted.

30. reviticus

reviticus Aficionado (110) Sep 26, 2012

Two beers first ( and not a true hefe fan) Julius Echter hefe weizen poured into a tall pilsner glass and served with a lemon, next my first bomber Pete's Wicked Ale (head came right out of the bottle)

31. Rochefort 10. It still blows my mind every time I have it.

32. reviticus

reviticus Aficionado (110) Sep 26, 2012

2 actually Julius Echter Hefe Weizen poured into a tall Pilsner glass and served with a lemon and my first bomber, Pete's Wicked Ale (head came right up out of the top of the bottle)

33. A long time ago at a beer sampling far away in Central Pennsylvania, I tried Red Seal. I was floored!! What was that bitter yet fruity and flowery taste? Hops, oh yes. Look how far beer has come since then.

34. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I recall being quite impressed by Maredsous 8, at a burger bar across from Union Station (Chicago), where I wasn't expecting to be floored.

In a couple of years, I may recall having my mind blown by King Henry, today. :D
    [​IMG]

35. RR Consecration

36. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Probably Girardin Black Label and Westvletern Blonde

37. Oh hell ya!!!

38. Saw another thread about a brewery you wish still existed and remembered that back in 2002/2003 I had just moved to a neighborhood with a craft beer bar close by. Was always skeptical when it came to beer but by then started to like craft beer. The first one that blew my mind would definately be Heavyweight Perkuno's Hammer-
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/393/1144

39. Of course there are plenty of beers that left me bewildered, however the first sour I ever had was Russian River's Consecration and upon my initial sip I was like, "...Jesus." Opened another world for me. Thanks Russian River fo keepin dat shit real.

40. TheRealPour

TheRealPour Savant (455) Illinois Jan 29, 2009

Way back in the dark ages of craft brewing (about 1995) I worked at an Irish pub called O'Hooley's in my college town of Athens, Ohio. Back then I was already big on trying new beer, but mostly anything I could get from another country. My pub was the first in town to offer North Coast's Red Seal Ale and this served as my 'eureka' moment for American craft beer. Now the same old 'Irish pub' is the site of Jackie O's who cranks out some of the best craft beer in Ohio.

koopa likes this.