1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First brew tasting question

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by tjosborne, Jan 31, 2013.

1. tjosborne

tjosborne Aficionado (110) Nebraska Jan 31, 2013

Hello everybody, this is my first post and i'm brewing my first batch as we speak. I just transfered my Northern Brewer American Wheat to secondary carboy, and being curious I had a glass. It just tasted like water and hops. It didn't taste bad, it just had zero taste besides the hops. Is that normal because there is no carbonation yet?
  2. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (320) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

I would say no, that's not normal. But we'll need to know more about your recipe and procediure before anyone on here will be able to speculate about causes for your percieved lack of flavor.
  3. FrankHammer

FrankHammer Savant (475) Michigan Jan 31, 2013

How long was it in primary? Did you observe active fermentation? A little more info please :)
  4. tjosborne

Ok the recipe was boil 2 and 1/2 gallons then pour in the half gallon of malt, bring back to boil for an hr., hops at 45 and 15 minutes. Then I cooled wort to 70 degrees and pitched yeast. It took off in less than 12 hours. I left it alone for a week until the krausen subsided, at which point the kit says rack to secondary for 2 weeks. I think it may just be a real light beer though. I went to the Northern Brewer site and read reviews on the kit and it seems everybody either was adding or wished they did add some type of fruit.
  5. Which kit?? I made their porter and although bland, you could at least taste the malt bill.
  6. tjosborne

It was their American wheat.
  7. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Forgive me for asking, but it has been fermented, correct?
  8. mattclough

mattclough Disciple (65) Maryland Jan 31, 2013

Did you happen to get any gravity readings? It should at least smell like beer.
  9. od_sf

od_sf Savant (420) California Nov 2, 2010

If you don't take gravity readings you're brewing blind.
  10. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

It would be sweeter and maltier if it hadn't been fermented.
  11. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

I think youneedta relax and have a brew. It will probably be fine upon bottling. Worrying excessively over your first beer is something that everybody does, but most people laugh at themselves afterwords for doing. :rolleyes:
  12. I have tended to find that water chemistry has a HUGE influence on light Pale Ale and Wheat beers. So that could be a reason too but it would take a couple batches to really figure that one out depending on your water source.
  13. It's an American Wheat...it's supposed to have no flavor : )

Did you use 1010? ...carbonation will help immensely.
    barfdiggs likes this.
  14. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (380) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

Most commercial American wheat beers taste like water and hops. It's just not a strongly flavored beer, but I can tell you that once it is carbonated it will be very different from what you tasted today.
    Damn Krusty, we had the same thought exactly. That scares me.
  15. How many beers have you had sailor? : )
  16. AlCaponeJunior

Agreed, wheat beers aren't very flavorful. They're not supposed to be. They're summer/lawnmower type beers that are supposed to go down easy and not get you too drunk too fast. Relax, it'll be good. :D
  17. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Try Gumball head. Its the only American Wheat beer I've ever had that actually has flavor (its very very hoppy).
    GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  18. AlCaponeJunior

That's a very delicious exception to the rule. Although if you have an extra sixer, I can re-evaluate your claim at any time. :D
  19. tjosborne

Thank you for all your responses, I'm not too worried now. I guess I was kinda expecting it to taste like Boulevard or something. I'll let you know how it turns out after bottling.
  20. MLucky

MLucky Savant (355) California Jul 31, 2010

You're probably fine. Sounds like you followed directions, and the beer fermented out. If something had gone terribly wrong, it would be more likely that the beer had a strong bandaid flavor or something like that, rather than just tasting a little bland. An American wheat is going to be mildly flavored, compared to most styles. And it definitely will taste different when it's carbonated and served at a proper temp. Relax, don't worry etc.
  21. tjosborne

Thanks, ya it is still definitely flat and was sampled at room temp. I just finished off a 6er of hops strike black and sierra nevada pale ale the night before i tried mine so i guess drinking week old uncarbonated beer won't hold up. I'm just glad there wasnt any off flavors.
  22. tjosborne

Well I bottled it 3 weeks ago and I did sample two bottles during, and it has progressively gotten better. Its not awesome or anything, but the hops mellowed and it carbed up, definitely drinkable. Now I'm gonna rdwhahb.
    AlCaponeJunior and EdH like this.
  23. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

If I knew how to use my phone i'd post theobligatory "add more hops" picture...
    But I'm an idiot.
    barfdiggs likes this.
  24. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (350) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

[​IMG]
    Done and done.
  25. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I love that shirt. Too bad buying it would dig into my brewing budget.
  26. AlCaponeJunior

You got another one going right? Always keep brewing!

If your first beer is drinkable and you're enjoying it, you're in the groove and you're hooked, enjoy the new obsession!
  27. tjosborne

Ya I have another going. I have another batch bottled almost a week, an 15 more gallons of beer an 5 of cider in carboys. I'm actually about to brew again in about an hr. Trying to get that pipeline going.
  28. AlCaponeJunior

It sucks when your pipeline stalls. Mine stalled last week and I'm about out of homebrew. Jump starting the pipeline again on saturday tho. :D