1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First Cantillon

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CerealKillerKP, Sep 14, 2012.

1. After reading about Cantillon for months on here I finally got to try one!! Extremely sour, funky, and a bit musty. This is a 2011 so the cherries are still really evident. It's so much better than the other sours I've had (Lindeman's and Boon). I owe a big thank you to an awesome BA for hookin' me up with this bottle.

Anyway, I figure most of you vets have fond memories of your first "Loon" so let's hear 'em! Post away :cool:

[​IMG]
  2. We got Cantillon in BC about 7 years ago and it really changed the way I saw lambics ( less sugar , way more funky). I loved the way it made your stomach ache a bit from the acid bite.
  3. well, now you're fucked...
  4. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

Is that a frosted mug . . .
  5. Is that a frosted 32oz mug.... my man!
    DRUNKMONK510, davey101 and yamar68 like this.
  6. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Ah, memories...

I remember my first - poured into a frozen beer mug, err... wait a minute...

Enjoy that!:)
    queens1130, davey101 and robinsmv like this.
  7. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Your current avatar is shockingly appropriate.
    DRUNKMONK510 and ShogoKawada like this.
  8. da fuck dude, da fuck.
  9. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

please tell me you covered that with whip cream.
  10. That 2011 Kriek is crazy good. I personally like my krieks bursting with cherry flavor, so that one hits the spot.
  11. cmac1705

cmac1705 Aficionado (245) Florida Apr 30, 2010

please tell me you opened the bottle with your teeth
  12. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

/snarky mug comment

My first Cantillon was a Classic Gueuze given to me from match1112. It was delicious, and it inspired an extremely expensive habit.
    robinsmv likes this.
  13. Somebody please tell me that this is cruel joke... Not only is that a frosted mug, but it's also dirty.
  14. My thoughts exactly! The only beer I've had that comes close to it so far is Boon Kriek Mariage Parfait, but that ones no where near as nuanced as Cantillon. Much cheaper though.
    yeahnatenelson likes this.
  15. This f*ckin' guy...
  16. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

Its all part of the learning experience. I recoiled as well but from now on after the majority of the people here rail him he'll know to use different glasses for different beers. One way or another Advocacy will rear its head.

My first loon was Dark Lord Day this year and it was a 05 LP kriek. Loved every sip of it.
  17. i drank my first loon straight out of the bottle...i dont see what the big deal about the mug is
  18. Check your draws...
    davey likes this.
  19. Being a poor smelly dude, I guess you would know about things being dirty. :)
    Etan likes this.
  20. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Man comes on here all excited about getting to try a beer that you put in his mind, gushes about BA generosity, just wants to share the happiness and hear some stories while he sips his treasure...
    and you fucks bust his nuts about his choice of glassware.

Drink up friend. I hope you enjoy what you've got
  21. Etan

Etan Advocate (735) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

My first was a Rose out of the cooler at Hopleaf. It was pretty good.
    kevanb likes this.
  22. Enjoy it and say good bye to your bank account.
    robinsmv likes this.
  23. Boom! Roasted his ass!

Like Shagtastic said, its part of the learning curve. Id rather be drinking a loon out of a frosted mug than WISHING I could drink a loon out of proper glasswear. Enjoy.
    davey and Parrotshake like this.
  24. Sorry but I don't think people "railing" me is advocacy. I actually think large mugs are great for drinking out of and rarely drink out of anything else. There are much bigger problems in this world than what one guy on a beer website chooses to drink a really awesome beer out of!

I am intensely jealous of your first loon story though! Aged Lou Pepe Kriek at DLD sounds like a dream
    weatherdog, 2beerdogs and Lordkrystic like this.
  25. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

My first Cantillon was Rose De Gambrinus. I hadn't really had too many sours before it, but I was at Brouwer's Cafe for Bigwood Festival (barrel aged beers) and decided to give it a whirl. I had no idea what Cantillon was at the time, I just remember it being one of the more expensive beers on the menu, so it had to be good.
  26. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (550) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Blasphemy!
  27. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (650) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I remember my first Cantillon like it was tomorrow...
    jnich2424, Mgm54, SatlyMalty and 3 others like this.
  28. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

How'd you get that poster of your avatar on your wall?
  29. Drink out of whatever you want man. Proper temps and glassware have a lot of advantages, but at the end of the day you are still drinking a Cantillon. Amazing beer and I hope you enjoyed the hell out of it.
    Lordkrystic and Boz12 like this.
  30. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Am I the only one to whom this post kept getting smaller and smaller and smaller?
    Daemose and kansascitytrader like this.
  31. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

I didn't take note of my first. I used to enjoy Cantillon on a regular basis back in the day before they became the rare Loons you're all after now.
    Kuemmelbrau and tewaris like this.
  32. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Excellent troll thread.

Dope
  33. robinsmv

No, the temperature must be falling in the pacific northwest
  34. Went to the Cantillion brewery in 2001 - it was my first experience with real Belgian sours and was not a fan...now kicking myself for not stocking up there. Live and learn!
  35. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I know how you feel.

I had been trying to track down a Cantillon forever with no success. Daysinthewake was awesome enough to drink a Kriek with me and I finally got a bottle of the same from Whole Foods. Trying that for the first time was amazing.

I'm stil trying to get a classic Gueze. That's my white whale right now.
  36. Bluecane

Is North Carolina the Pacific Northwest to Floridians, or did the joke go over my head? lol
  37. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Still have yet to try my first 'loon. Hopefully once I do, I won't get so addicted that I have to cash out my 401k like everyone says.
  38. robinsmv

Smurf2055 is in Seattle and it was the font in his post that was shrinking
  39. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I've never had Cantillon... but I just wanted to say that you look like an (expletive deleted) boss with a $30 beer in that frosted Oktoberfest mug.

I don't care if it's wrong, that's boss hog right there.
    Daemose, AdamP, jtmartino and 4 others like this.
  40. Bluecane

Ah, gotcha.