1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First Cantillon

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CerealKillerKP, Sep 14, 2012.

1. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Is that what they charge for Cantillon in TX??
  2. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

We don't get Cantillon. :(
  3. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

About two years ago I picked up a bottle of St. Lamnivus in a store in Boston, saw the $35 price tag, and set it back down. I still regret that decision as its literally the only time I've seen a 'loon on a shelf.

I had my first Cantillon last summer. I got it via trade (can't remember from who) after I posted a desperate ISO thread and landed a '10 classic gueuze. I wanna say I traded a NEBCO IST for it?
    [​IMG]

I gave it a 4.73. Needless to say I loved the beer, although I now feel that Armand is the better gueuze blender. A few weeks after that review I landed this from a local store
    [​IMG]

I cellared but wound up trading away both gueuzes over the year though. Enjoyed the crap out of the '08 kriek and the '10 rose. Somehow I then landed one of these in the winter from a store.
    [​IMG]

and since then a bottle of cantillon has never crossed my hands :(
  4. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Smurf2055 also did the typesetting on the contract to enter the Wonka chocolate factory.
    robinsmv, DonDirkA and JohnB87 like this.
  5. Fact:
    This was my first Cantillon too! A little over a year ago, thanks to t0rin0.
    Vintage: 8.28.08 and drank on 8.23.11
    Now I have a Cantillon red poppy tattoo.
    DaveAnderson likes this.
  6. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Well now you'll have to try your 2nd cantillon so you can drink it out of a proper glass so you know why we're giving you shit for it. ; )
  7. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

My first cantillon was the same and it blew my mind. Opened me up to the realm of sour beers. I have to say though without being negative, next time you enjoy any sour please use a non frosted anything. A tulip or snifter or something would be ideal, but anything would serve you better then a frosted glass. Either way I am jealous, I could drink cantillon out of an old shoe and it would be better then no cantillon.
  8. podunkparte

What exactly is a cantillion red poppy?
  9. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

My first was actually this year at Belmont Station's pucker fest. They had the Gueuze on tap which is a pretty awesome way to have your first Cantillon. It was crisp, clean and super refreshing in the summer heat; in other words love at first sight.

Coincidentally I also went to Belgium on vacation this year, so I basically went from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds for Gueuze. Now 3F and Cantillon are always on my radar.
  10. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Lost Abbillon
  11. podunkparte

It combines super expensive with impossible to find. :eek:
    davey101 and tylermains like this.
  12. The Gueze is great on tap, my first Cantillon was the Kriek which was eye opening 10 years ago. Fou Fou'ne the first time was what slayed me.
  13. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Their signature flower, on some of the bottle labels (see it on the right side):
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  14. Regarding giving him crap about the mug, you guys have seen this right?

[​IMG]

Now I know that's not a frosty mug, but the mug in the OP's picture is sure a lot closer in shape to the above than say a tulip, flute etc that I often see people use on here. In fact, that mug is probably more of a 'proper' shape (as opinioned by the brewery itself) than most of the glassware people use, at least shape-wise! :p Just saying...
  15. I've only had the Saint Lamvinus. God awful stuff.
  16. podunkparte

Aha! Damn, I was so hoping for an epic tattoo fail
    afrokaze likes this.
  17. The Dude abides
  18. You don't look like the dude, I could have sworn I have seen the dude around here though...
    yamar68 and davey101 like this.
  19. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

Cantillon is pretty good, but my favorite lambic is Lindemans Framboise Lambic. Their apple is pretty good too.
  20. I know that the status quo on this site is to the testament of proper drinking temperature in proper drinking vessels. But I'll veer off the path a bit when it comes to sours. I'm not condoning a frosted mug four sours, but because of my own sensitivities to acids, I find that a cooler serving temperature numbs my palate just a bit and gives me a chance to acclimate to the taste before the full brunt of the flavors rise when the beer warms. I may not want a frosted mug, but the desire for a softer introduction to the taste buds might be in order for some of us. As the beer opens up, I'm able to ease into the session and better appreciate the beer's flavor spread a bit later in the session. Keep in mind that cooler beer has the tendency to retain carbonation longer, so it won't go too flat too soon if in the midst of a more "sipping" type of session, as how I do with sour ales. This is just a personal thought from, perhaps, the another side of the fence.

Cheers all!
  21. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

Thank you for this and sorry for trolling with my last post.
  22. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

My first (and only) Cantillon (so far) was Rose de Gambrinus. I walked into a beer store I visit whenever I am visiting my girlfriend's family in Riverside, CA. The person working the counter wasn't a total douche (for once) and she told me that she had some Cantillon sitting in the back. Now, having never tried Cantillon and not really even knowing what it was I said "I'll take one of each!" All I knew was that you guys never stop talking about it, so I figured fuck it, lets see whats up. I liked it a lot. I have a Kriek 100% Lambic sitting in my fridge right now that I have been saving. Its in the fridge cause I was supposed to drink it with some friends and that fell through. After this thread I think I may be cracking it open though.

Here's my first: (note, my DFH glass isn't super clean. I only wash it by hand and apparently I didn't do a great job the last time. Tasted awesome to me though.)
    [​IMG]
    davey101 likes this.
  23. DonDirkA

I like starting with all my beers cold then I sip them over time and allow them to warm up so I can try them at all stages (no matter the style, although it works best with stouts). Some styles I'll pour part of it and put the rest in the fridge to keep it cool (if its best served cool) but I'll allow the first glass to warm for the same reason stated before. Worked for me so far..
  24. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (460) California Nov 16, 2009

Mine was the same as yours. Cantillon Kriek at Toronado SD about 3-4 years ago.
  25. DonDirkA

I'd like to try that too. My white whale is ANY Cantillon though (apparently their distro hates us out West), but my holy grail, the one I really want to try is their Blåbær Lambik because I love blueberries and Cantillon.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/388/36316

26. Post an ISO as I am sure you have the ammo to land at least the Gueze. Blabaer will take a bit though.
  27. My first 'Loon was an 07 Kriek (in 2010) that I bought at a beer store in Mauritius (paid like 60 USD). The only other fruit beer I had tasted at that time was Lindeman's kriek, so the extreme sourness was a massive shock! It did however convert me to true sours :D
  28. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

It's his first Cantillon, and he can drink it out of any glass he wants to. What say you Walt?
  29. I used to be able to buy most Cantilons for $12-15 I wish everyone would hate the loons please.
    davey101 likes this.
  30. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (775) Ohio May 29, 2005

Mauritius! That's very cool, I've never been there but my expectations would have been low for finding quality beer.
  31. DonDirkA

I am officially using this video all the time now.

I may give it a try. My first attempted trade (ISO Dark Lord) didn't go too well though, kind of soured me (no pun intended) to the experience.
  32. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

I'll allow it....
    DonDirkA likes this.
  33. forgetfu

forgetfu Savant (255) Colorado Jul 27, 2007

i'm confused. Will this be overcarbonated or flat?
  34. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (345) Australia Nov 29, 2008

Man, when the hell did "loon" happen?

My first was a Rose de Gambrinus about 5 years ago, and I immediately spent a huge wad buying up every Cantillon I could find. I had quite a stash at one point - lots of Fou Foune - and I'd crack a bottle pretty much every time someone new came over to the house just to see their reaction. Now there's nowhere in this City where I can walk in and buy bottles off the shelf, so it's occasional mail order only :(
  35. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (460) California Nov 16, 2009

Why is there not a dislike button?
    Gosox8787 and ant880 like this.
  36. I had the same feeling, but there turned out to be a dedicated beer (the only one in Africa!!!) store called Lambic! They had about 130 different beers when I was there and it really opened up my eyes to the world of craft beer. They have recently opened a brewery too: https://www.facebook.com/lambic.mu
  37. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Oy vey. This is like Sideways when he drank the rare Pinot from a plastic cup at the fast food place.
    yamar68 likes this.
  38. My first Cantillon was Rose de Gambrinus in 1992 purchased at the Spirit Haus in Amherst, Mass. for, I believe, the ridiculous price of $4.99 for a 12 oz bottle. Ridiculous because that was the most I had ever spent on a small bottle back then and ridiculous because it shows how much the price has risen over the years. To say it was a shock to my palate is an understatement! There were very few sour beers around (almost all were Belgians like Boon Marriage Parfait (Kriek and Framboise), Liefmans Goudenband and Rodenbach Grand Cru) in the sea of pale ales, brown ales and porters and it sure as hell stood out. Definitely made me a fan of lambic from day one.
  39. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

I really think that 90% of BA doesn't know how to clean a glass. The pictures in this thread reaffirm that.
  40. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I remember my first Cantillon (Gueuze 100% Bio). Made the mistake of drinking it side by side with Armand'4 Winter. Kind of took the wind out of my loon sail.

But I've had several others since then, all really really good.