1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

First Cantillon

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CerealKillerKP, Sep 14, 2012.

1. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

Care to enlighten us?

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (965) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I'll take this one.

1. Wash glass by hand if it has delicate artwork (if not run through dishwasher)
    2. Rinse glass
    3. Air dry glass upside down on drying rack

So simple a cave man could do it.

3. DSlim71

Sorry, should have thrown a "winky" in there. Just thought it was funny he said 90% of people don't know how to rinse a glass so I was wondering his "technique". I actually prefer using a lint free microfiber cloth for drying :D

HopsJunkiedotcom likes this.
  4. jmw

jmw Savant (440) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Please....do go on....

DSlim71 likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Yeah, I was poking fun at his post. Cleaning a glass (even making it "beer clean") isn't rocket science.

So you dry the inside of the glass with a cloth? Do you use the same cloth over and over or do you get a fresh one each time?

6. DSlim71

I have one like THIS that I use exclusively for my glasses. It doesn't touch anything else other than already cleaned glassware. And yes, I use it on the inside of the glass.

7. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012

I beer bonged my first Loon. You're all giant pussies.

8. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Savant (300) New York Nov 18, 2008

I would drink Lambics more often, but they always give me acid stomach and heartburn. Does anyone here counteract this issue with Tums or Rolaids?? LOL. I might have to give that a try next, because these beers are dangerously good. I envy the people who can drink these tasty elixirs with no tummy woes.

9. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

I should have thrown a winky face in there as well. Damn internetz ;)

Hanzo and DSlim71 like this.
  10. cneville

cneville Initiate (0) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

Mine was last week, when I (very fortunately) walked into not one, but two stores that both had it. I took that as a sign to buy it. Oddly enough, the one was $2 more than the other (both classic, 375ml)! I had one and will sit on the other for as long as I can possibly bear.

11. I combat my sours with tums and pepto bismol, but they still rape my stomach. About a month ago I made the mistake of drinking a From the Woods Kriek in 10 minutes at a bar on my break from work, and when I went back I wanted to curl up into a ball and die. I haven't had a sour since!*

*mainly because of my bank account

12. Hanzo

I would be so very sad if drinking sours gave me stomach problems.

SatlyMalty and Treebs like this.
  13. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (845) California Nov 16, 2009

My first loon was the same one you had. I wasnt ready for it. DP 1/2 a 375. Man how times have changed.

Cheers!

14. It's not dirty, it's just not beer clean. But hey, it's his first Cantillon, so he has plenty of time to, as they say, to do it right in the future.

15. Maybe you're a 10%er. As for drying, I never saw the need for it to be completely dry. I do get it, though - I see lots of pictures of beer on here in dirty glassware and it does make a big difference. I won't make any generalizations, though.

16. DSlim71

Perhaps. If I'm going to resuse the glass right away, I don't dry other than a vigorous shaking, but I'll dry them before I put the glass away. I don't like the water spots that sometimes occur with air drying.

17. Cheval Blanc is a Bordeaux, otherwise I pretty much agree with the sentiment that frosty mugs are no place for Cantillon (or any beer) because they dilute the flavor. I think the main culprit here is the frosty mug and not as much the choice of glassware, although proper glassware adds to the experience significantly in my opinion.

ggwheeler likes this.
  18. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

I thought the inside joke was that it was a blend of Merlot and Cab Franc.

bkrueger likes this.
  19. My first loon was an extra, a 375 of classic. I punched a hole in the side to reduce glug and let the belgian vortex bottle open up the flavors into my ice cold liquid nitrogen chilled pilsner glass.

i drank it pretty quickly, I remember it tasting like water with a slight hint of lemon, the kind that Red Robin serves. Then I finally understood what the hype was about: ice cold Red Robin lemon water whenever you want.

ilovermont, libbey, Etan and 2 others like this.
  20. kevanb

kevanb Advocate (700) Illinois Apr 4, 2011

that vintage is drinking so well right now!

My first loon was Mamouche, still one of my favorites!

21. codasnap52

codasnap52 Savant (380) Connecticut Jan 24, 2008

Had a Rose De Gambrinus at Poechenellekelder almost a year ago in Brussels. It was everything I've hoped for and more. Now I have about 20 bottles in the basement and my bank account has been crying ever since.

SatlyMalty likes this.
  22. I'm lucky enough to be able to buy Cantillon off the shelf up here, but it took me over a year to finally try one. Lou Pepe Framboise and admittedly I couldn't even finish the bottle. A few years later and Cantillon is my favorite brewery... a tribute to our ever evolving palates.

yamar68 likes this.
  23. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

I know, I know. Really lame and bad post. After all the beer I was drinking I thought it was funny. I immediately realized it wasn't.

24. Yum.

25. I was the same way until about three weeks ago, when I walked into a store and asked if they had any gueuze. The guy told me he had a Cantillon in back. I jumped on it (it was Classic Gueuze). He then told me to check back in a week, because the distributor had given him heads-up that more was due. I got a Kriek. The next day, Saint Lamvinus in another store. A few days later, 2008 Kriek from a friend. Today, I walked into a store 20 minutes after the delivery of 6 bottles of Classic Gueuze**. I got the last one.

So, in three weeks, I went from "I'll never get my hands on it" to "when am I going to drink these?"

FWIW, Saint Lamvinus and one Classic Gueuze tomorrow, both Krieks will go with me to Darkness Day, and the other Classic Gueuze goes in the cellar.

**The actual words that came out of my mouth when I saw it on the shelf: "You have got to be fucking shitting me."

26. brikelly

brikelly Savant (440) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

My first was a Kriek at Spuyten Duyvil in Brooklyn NY earlier this year. It made what you'd call a "lasting impression".

So much so that I just flew to Brussels to visit the brewery twice over my 3 day stay there, buying three of the variety packs (gueuze/kriek/lamvinus) to bring home in my luggage.

Says Mr. Customs guy: "Do you have any alcohol to declare?"
    Says me: "No sir. No sir, I don't."

They are now in my cellar aging nicely and each will be poured soon into one of my new Cantillon glasses, also carried all the way back from Belgium.

Let's be honest, it's an incredible lambic. It's completely distinctive and nothing like 3F, Boon, Girardin, Tilquin or Hanssens. It's just monstrous, flavorful, funky and brash. I obsess over it like a teenage girl with a Justin Bieber crush.

27. This dude can TROLL!

28. infi

infi Savant (485) New York Apr 4, 2009

First gueuze from them was their Classic– took me back-to-back days to finish a 375ml when I first started. But once I got an 750ml '08 100% Kriek, I promptly finished it right up.

29. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (860) California Jan 31, 2005

I have 2008 LP Kriek I've been waiting to crack, but holy shizzle, I won't post a pic. Somebody might rip on my Night Ranger poster in the background!!!;)

PS Just Kiddin' I don't have the poster.

yamar68 likes this.
  30. RStang13

RStang13 Savant (300) New Jersey Jun 22, 2011

After finishing up dinner at Union Trust last night (killer 14oz bone in filet topped with king oscar, east coast oysters paired with Flying Fish Exit 1 oyster stout, a couple amazing apps and sides) my wife and I decided to walk down to Monk's. After a few fine beverages I expressed to the lovely barmaid that I hadn't had any luck with sours but wasn't quite ready to give up. She suggested a few Berliners, a few different Flanders and I told her nothing she mentioned really caught my interest. After browsing the Beer Bible a few more minutes I decided on a Loon Kriek. She told me she would have suggested it but was afraid it was a little expensive for not being sure I'd like it. Well... Needless to say, I'm in love and will be joining you all in the never ending loon hunt!

31. fvernon

fvernon Savant (380) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

my first cantillon was a pour of blabaer... needless to say, i was doomed from the start. opened a bottle of lou pepe kriek for a friend that loves sours a couple of weeks ago - it's fun to hook'em!

32. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (410) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

:O That was your first one?! Thats like my ultimate search...

33. Fou Foune was my first one. After that I've had Bruoscella, Mamouche and Blabaer and they were all amazing... Fou is still my favorite so far though.

34. People who lie for no particular reason (it's incredibly legal to bring alcohol back and at those quantities below the threshold where anyone would even consider taxing you) going through customs are strange.

I guess Cantillon does weird things to people.

35. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Well then why did they give me grief about this scorpion whiskey in Portland?
    [​IMG]

36. 7clutch

7clutch Savant (265) Florida Sep 14, 2012

My first was a classic gueuze I drank with my breakfast (too excited to wait). I then played basketball for a few hours and played the best I've probably played in my entire life. I honestly was convinced it had to do with the loon. Dumb story, but it made for a good first time.

37. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (395) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

I was lucky enough to have my first lambic be a Canillon. Went to Belgium with my father and brother this summer, before I went to study for a month and a half in Bonn, Germany. First brewery I saw in Belgium was Canillon, toured it before I had a taste, and wow was it a fantastic experience. I bought a few bottles, but I wish I had grabbed more. It is so amazingly cheap when u get it from the source.

38. why test for roids....test for the loons

7clutch likes this.
  39. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

Is that a cobra too?

40. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Yeah a baby cobra, and some ginger root.