1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

First Dogfish Head IPA (90)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MetalMountainMastiff, Mar 30, 2013.

1. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Member

Had my first dogfish head IPA ever tonight a 90 minute...Isn't this just a barley wine.?? I do enjoy it. Guess this is like the Black IPA vs Hoppy Stout debate... Is a Malty IPA a barley wine... anyways I'm glad I got it.
  2. davey101

davey101 Member

You don't drink barleywines very often do you?
    DanE, Saviorself, JonnyBeers and 19 others like this.
  3. MichPaul

MichPaul Member

I would say not even CLOSE to a Barleywine... Sorry man, just seems like a BIT malty of an IPA but one that I love. Probably my favorite DFH beer besides WWS!
    JArena13, DrStiffington and Metalaero like this.
  4. davey101

davey101 Member

This. 90 Minute is just a maltier DIPA, very balanced. Aged 120 Minutes is about as close as an IPA will get to barleywine levels though.
  5. MetalMountainMastiff

I really meant just a very MALTY ipa..I don't consider it actually a barleywine... but i'm quite impressed...much better then i imagined... I wonder if 60, 75 and 120 are as great..
    davey101 likes this.
  6. davey101

davey101 Member

All very different, all very solid. Don't forget the noobie though, 61 Minute (drinking one right now actually, damn good!)
    fmccormi and ufmj like this.
  7. MetalMountainMastiff

really...all different? I'm guessing then 90 is the best. It's easily the best DFH i've ever had...
  8. GoGators

GoGators Member

You might want to try Burton Baton if you like the 90 (similar taste but oak aged). And if you're looking for the best DFH beer, you gotta give Palo Santo Marron a try.
  9. LMT

LMT Member

As others have said, it's a balanced IPA.

I love it & am glad it gets good reviews on BA.
    beerindaglass likes this.
  10. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Member

Either your taste buds are off or that's an old bottle
    JonnyBeers, skinsfan and dar482 like this.
  11. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Member

120 minute IPA is not an IPA, its a barleywine, weighing in at 18%
    90 minute IPA is very much a double IPA, at 9%

and yes Burton Baton is fantastic, and Palo Santo is also really good
    jgluck, DrunkethWizard and Cubatobaco like this.
  12. TongoRad

TongoRad Member

Those are both excellent beers- probably the best DFH has to offer, imo.
  13. cerp66

cerp66 Member

I've always liked the 60 much more than the 90; the 60 is a lot more bitter.
  14. Zimbo

Zimbo Member

I've only had it less less than totally uber fresh but it was a heavy ridiculous malt mess.
    I agree with the poster above with the full jugs. The 60 IS a lot better.
    Schwantz, cavedave and RPH2327 like this.
  15. cerp66

cerp66 Member

She's just my drinking buddy....yea I wish !
  16. MrGreengenes2

MrGreengenes2 Member

I have to side with the OP. Its intense sweetness makes me consider it a barleywine. I do enjoy it quite a bit though, fresh or aged.
  17. cbreu89

cbreu89 Member

One of the few IPA's that I have had that was incredible even after 6 months.
    jimmy666 likes this.
  18. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Member

I love these threads... this IPA is a barleywine, this one's a hoppy stout. And so many BA's wonder where people get their (mis)information about beer...
  19. Jonada

Jonada Member

I definitely wouldn't consider 90 minute a barleywine. I think all of DFH's IPAs are pretty solid, but for me 75 minute is far and away my favorite.
  20. 395er

395er Member

I know it's called an IPA, and it gets supporters as such, but it just doesn't taste like one to me. Not barleywine necessarily, but definitely a malty beer.
  21. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Member

How about American Strong Ale?
  22. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Member

You want a DFH Barleywine, go legit and track down some Olde School. I've only had a half dozen or so BW's, but it was tops!
    rc51sport likes this.
  23. jlenik

jlenik Member

90 Minute is my least favorite out of the DFH Minute series. I'm on the fence about 120 Minute but I'll never pass up some 60 Minute and 75 Minute.
  24. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Member

75 min IPA >> 90 min IPA
  25. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Member

X DFH IPA > Z DFH IPA

I'm right, you're wrong.
    xShoWTeKx and ufmj like this.
  26. jahbulon

jahbulon Member

Do like 90 minute, just not worth $11 a 4 pack where im from. Not very exciting to me either. Give me some sucks thats the same price for 2 more bottles ya kno :p Or if I wanna get fancy I'll pay 12.99 for a 4 pack o' double jack
    Andrew041180 likes this.
  27. dan027

dan027 Member

I wouldn't consider it a barleywine, just a much more balanced DIPA than a lot of the hopbombs that are out there. Don't get me wrong, I love hops, but sometimes you want something different. If you like it though definitely try 75 minute, I'm still going back and forth trying to decide which one I like better. And I know I may be alone in this, but 120 is utterly fantastic to me, fresh or aged.
  28. Adamdc

Adamdc Member

As mentioned above--- Palo ftw!
  29. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Member

Have a confession to make, I like aged 75 Minute a lot better than fresh. I've had some of the October '12 batch here in my cellar at 50 degrees and they are drinking like champs. The maple syrup is so much more noticeable. I've had both fresh and aged recently, so I'm not just going by faint memories.

I had my doubts about the "Ages Well" on the bottle but I've learned to trust Sam C. I mean, I have some bottle conditioned 7% Rodenbach '07 vintages that are still drinking amazing. Bottle conditioning does prolong the life of lower abv beers.
  30. MetalMountainMastiff

I don't even remember making this thread....Thanks 90 min!
    ufmj likes this.
  31. If it's a beer and it's strong then it can be called a barleywine.
  32. Immortale25

Immortale25 Member

It really sucks that they stopped making Squall because that was 90 improved (Bottle conditioned and unfiltered and such).
  33. Barley wines are just strong beers. This beer is strong enough to be considered a barley wine.
  34. dan027

dan027 Member

I also feel like it's not up to us to decide what a beer is, it's up to the brewers. If Dogfish says it's an imperial ipa, that's what it is, they made it. It's the same with a lot of beers, prime example nugget nectar (troegs imperial amber!). If they say that's what they made who are we to tell them they're wrong.
  35. JackofBlades

JackofBlades Member

60 is much more like a traditional IPA. 120 is hard to find and 75 is damn near impossible to find. I'd love to get my hands on a couple bottles of 120 for sure.
  36. Bradystraps

Bradystraps Member

I had my first 90 this evening. I found it very Belgian in taste. Sweet and well balanced. Not much fruit flavor which I would have liked to be a bit more present. Very little if any bitterness which I prefer. Overall, a very good beer.
  37. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Member

I like your math, and I like your style.
  38. JackofBlades

JackofBlades Member

IIRC, seeing as I haven't had a 90 Minute or any DFH for a while, it is a little sweet from the malt as is the case with most DIPAs. I wouldn't say it's Belgian in style though; the hops are still very present.

Damn I kinda want a 90 Minute now...
  39. Bradystraps

Bradystraps Member

I found it very un-hoppy. Very malty and sweet but not over the top. Very good and drinkable.
    Tasted more like a Dubbel than anything close to a DIPA. I realize it is an IPA but I found it to closer to a Belgian than I did a DIPA on that scale.
  40. JackofBlades

JackofBlades Member

I might have to pick up a four pack of it then or go get some on tap. It's really been a while since I've had it but I think I remember it being somewhat hoppy.