1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First/Favorite Fresh Hop Beers of the Year?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beertunes, Aug 21, 2013.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,045) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Two Beers Brewing, in Seattle, just posted a pic on FB of hops harvested this morning over near Yakima, and going into the brew kettle tonight. Is this the first fresh hop beer of the year, or has someone beat them to it?

cavedave likes this.
  2. I had two wet hopped ales from wicked weed the chinook and the cascade-both very good

ncstateplaya likes this.
  3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Shorter days, cooler nights, fresh hop beer... love this time of year!

4. Social Kitchen in San Francisco just released their wet hop pale ale yesterday...Wet Hop Beers are coming!

Hdredfern likes this.
  5. rather

rather Savant (305) California May 31, 2013

is deschutes fresh squeezed fresh hopped? I had that a month or two ago and it was delicious.

6. Almanac I thought already had one out? But possibly not, I just remember reading they were putting out 3 fresh IPAs for tap. But I haven't been to the bay area in a few weeks.

7. Don't think so, my understanding was "Fresh Squeezed" referred to the citrus flavors of orange juice they were trying to capture.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  8. 82300sd

82300sd Aficionado (155) California Dec 24, 2012

no it's not fresh hopped, marketing to trick your mind into thinking it is

9. chikunwing

chikunwing Aficionado (140) Oregon Jul 18, 2013

Logsdon recently released their Fresh Hop beer. I will be opening a bottle on thursday.:D

10. rather

rather Savant (305) California May 31, 2013

the label is misleading lol

11. Aleforme

Aleforme Savant (305) Washington Nov 26, 2008

Not sure about being first but I can't wait until it hits the shelves. Last year's Fresh Hop brew was probably my favorite Two Beers brew so far. Hoping this year will be even better.

sharpski likes this.
  12. spicoli00

spicoli00 Advocate (710) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere was released in May

13. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

Marketing to trick me into thinking I'm buying a fresh-hopped beer two months before the first hops are remotely ready for harvest? Doubt it.
    It's a referance to citrus flavors.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  14. zestd

zestd Savant (345) Idaho Jan 18, 2013

I've seen on fb the last week several different breweries are getting the freshies.

15. 82300sd

82300sd Aficionado (155) California Dec 24, 2012

not everyone is as smart as you are

DougC123 likes this.
  16. spartan1979

spartan1979 Savant (360) Missouri Dec 29, 2005

I tapped the one I brewed with Chinook from my backyard on Sunday. Pretty tasty.

17. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

I talked to one of the owners today, and they aren't even getting their fresh hops until at least next Thursday. If you have a bottle of their fresh hop beer it is from last year.

18. chikunwing

chikunwing Aficionado (140) Oregon Jul 18, 2013

Bummer, I picked a bottle up at a bottle shop in bend last weekend and did not even think to check (seemed like the right time of year, a little early perhaps) I just got excited. The best by date said 9/13 so I just thought they wanted you to have it fresh. Oh well I guess I willl have drink it anyway. As always, I continue to provide no useful information.

19. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

That sucks. No need to out the store here, but you might want to send an email to Logsdons and let them know, especially if there were other bottles still on the shelf. I know that if it were my brewery I wouldn't want people drinking year old "fresh hop" beer...

20. sharpski

sharpski Advocate (540) Oregon Oct 11, 2010

A sign at the Bend brewpub says, "Not a fresh hop beer, just tastes like one". It's a delicious beer IMO, but does not taste anything like the fresh hop beers I've had.

21. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Fresh (wet) hop beers have a very distinct flavor to me that I don't think that beer possessed. Tasty beverage, no doubt, but didn't taste like a fresh hop beer.

22. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Texas Jan 3, 2013

Vault Brewing Co in the Philly area has been doing wet whole-flower Australia hopped IPAs for the past month or two.

23. leedorham

How are they saying they get that done? The hop harvest in Australia is during our Spring. That would be like a US brewery pouring a wet hop beer in February.

jesskidden likes this.
  24. MCain04

That's fair. Wasn't aware whole flower hops stuck around that long, figured they were converted to pellets early. Guess the hops are a few months old then.

25. Thanks for the reminder, I've been looking forward to stout season and almost overlooked the fresh hops.. Let's see if Founders Harvest holds up as my favorite IPA like I thought last year.

26. leedorham

Well it's fine to store them if they're dried. "Wet Hop" and "Fesh Hop" refer to hops that have not been dried* and typically have to be used in the beer within 24-48 hours of being picked.

*except in the case of Sierra Nevada, who define Celebration as a "Fresh Hop" beer, even though the hops are dried and state "Fresh Hop" means "Beer brewed using hops harvested sometime recently and you all can fuck off if you want us to change our label just because you all came around and changed what the term meant."

tkdchampxi and sharpski like this.
  27. MCain04

Good to know

28. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Surly Wet will be on tHe shelf soon so I'm amped for that.

SteveKotajarvi likes this.
  29. Scrapss

Scrapss Advocate (620) Pennsylvania Nov 15, 2008

I think I will tap my Oregon contact for some Deschutes if they do it this year.

30. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

The wife and I have been yammering about being excited for fall for the past month, so we share your sentiments good draheim.

Cosby sweaters and wet hop beers, here I come.

31. HopFace

HopFace Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

East End Big Hop Harvest hits tomorrow. One of few beers I look forward to from them.

Steve_Oldrati and Scrapss like this.
  32. What is your favorite fresh hopped beer?

Mine is Port Brewing Company's High Tide

33. Founder's Harvest Ale

34. Founder's so far, but I want to try more. The resin, oils, mouthfeel and flavor balance is amazing.

35. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Surly Wet

SteveKotajarvi and SlightlyGrey like this.
  36. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I love that stuff, but one of last year's batches went screwy somehow and turned into gross foam monsters. That won't stop me from buying this year's version, though.

Founders Harvest is probably my favorite overall, but the Port High Tide's a lot easier for me to get.

jakecattleco likes this.
  37. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Chasing freshies, hop trip, and gdbc wet hop

denver10 likes this.
  38. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Fremont Cowiche Canyon Organic Fresh Hop Ale. Can't wait.

39. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

I'm not sure why this is still happening with the Port Brewing High Tide, considering all the great brews they come out with, but I grabbed 4 bottles, all bottled 10/11/13, and three were amazing, and one was bitter, sour liquid metal. I wonder why they're still having issues with this...

40. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

Founders Harvest Ale. Just delectable.