1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First Lager

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by JUNCK, Feb 20, 2013.

1. JUNCK

JUNCK Aficionado (135) Washington Jan 7, 2011

Looking for ideas/recipes for a lager. The temp in my garage is perfect and it's time to try. Any ideas?

2. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

What style do you want to brew? How big is your system? Extract or all grain?

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

What kind of lagers do you like to drink?

4. JUNCK

I don't know what style I want to brew. I mostly drink ales. Too be honest I have been drinking beer for 20+ years and can't remember I lager I liked more than a pale ale but I would like to change that. My system can handle 5 - 10 gallon batches. All grain.

5. JUNCK

There is a lager from Maritime Pacific Brewing Company called Old Seattle I like. I think it's a Munich Helles Lager but that doesn't mean that is what I have to brew.

6. premierpro

5 gallon batch
    10lbs wyermann pils malt
    4oz melenoiden malt
    Mash at 152 for an hour
    boil for 90 min.
    1-2 oz Hallertau, tett, saaz,or spalt for 60 min
    1oz @ 15 min'
    1oz@ 5 min
    WLP830 or WLP800
    Good luck!

7. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

I think Munich Dunkels are good lagers to start with.

8. JUNCK

What should my OG be? Do I sparge?

9. premierpro

I pluged this recipe into Beer Tools based on using 2oz Hallertau @ 4.5%
    OG 1.052
    FG 1.015
    Color 5.15
    Bitterness 46.6
    4.8% abv
    I fly sparge.
    Good luck!

10. premierpro

I agree. I look at this site at work and do not have my recipe book here. I have two kegs of Munich Dunkel lagering right now. One of witch I will be bringing to the Michigan Home Brew Festival. Hope to see you there.

11. joshodonn

joshodonn Savant (310) Florida Jan 21, 2011

Look at this recipe...

http://wiki.americanhomebrewers.org/RocktoberfestAllGrain

I have made this a few times and it's always a huge hit, I can't keep the kegs around long enough. I wish I could make 10 gallons at a time but I don't have enough space in my fermentation chamber for 2 carboys. It's pretty easy to make, in fact I make it as a S.M.A.S.H, I just use the Hallertau Hersbrucker for all my hop additions.

12. premierpro

The IBU's in your recipe I calculate to 33.4. I am not saying that this would not taste good just not what your recipe posts.

13. joshodonn

I have no idea how they calculated the IBUs in that recipe, I'm not the person who created/posted the recipe, I just found it online and have brewed it several times following their protocol.

14. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

Sorry, but I have to ask: if you've never had a lager you liked, why would you brew one? They're actually kind of a pain in the ass compared to ales: much larger starters, more finicky yeasts, they tie up your equipment for a much longer period of time, and if you make any kind of mistake, it'll usually stand out like a sore thumb. I happen to like a lot of german lager styles, so I brew them fairly regularly, but I sure wouldn't bother if I didn't like them!

But to answer your question: try something like Jamil's Czech pils recipe in Brewing Classic styles, if you just want to do one. You can brew it with DME and RO water, and it's a great beer to have around for friends who think they don't like craft beer.

Beerontwowheels and cracker like this.
  15. JUNCK

Holy S! 4 packets of yeast. Guess I won't be making this in the next week. I have more ideas now than I did when I posted - hince the reason I love this site. Thanks a lot!

16. JUNCK

Just because I haven't had a lager I like more than a Pale doesn't mean there isn't a lager out there I love perhaps more than a Pale. That's why I brew, that is why I post here and that is why I would like to brew one. The challenge is another reason, thanks I didn't think of that when I initially posted this thread.

About my question: Thanks! I hope to have this around for friends that don't like lagers but because of your suggestion, now they do. - See what I did there? ;)

- I think your avatar is golf clapping for me..

17. joshodonn

I just use one and make a big ass starter....

18. JUNCK

I bought a chest freezer and have stepped up a starter 3 times now. Going to brew this tomorrow or Friday. I am excited.

One question: Do you do the step when you run off a gallon from the mash and boil/caramelize it for 15 min? Never heard of this before I thought carmelization (sp?) was a bad thing.

19. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

That sounds like what's known as a Thin Decoction, which is a fairly uncommon type of decoction. Actually, decoctions aren't all that common at all anymore, and the benefits or lack thereof are sometimes debated. I don't decoct any of my lagers.

20. JUNCK

I guess since I have nothing to compare it to, I'll skip that step unless joshadonn has done it and thinks it benefits this particular recipe?